What is the first piece of music you listen to after buying new gear?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a new amp on the way and am in the process of lining up the first things I want to hear on it.

I wondered what music everybody turns to so you can compare how different your system sounds after it's ugprade?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Dream Theater's 'Disappear'. Lots of acoustic guitar & piano and some nice understated drum work. Not your usual Dream Theater track as it's not full of solos or played in odd meters.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I have a new amp on the way and am in the process of lining up the first things I want to hear on it.

What's the new amp?

Matt

PS re. the first piece of music: it will depend on my mood at the time, but probably a good classical recording.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I had some new speakers for my car in september and i happened to be listening to bassomatic at the time, so i listened to that. :)

416brmhbnRL.jpg

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Jimi Hendrix - 1983

Then Eponymous albums by Deep Forest and Tracy Chapman.

If they don't show you changes, particularly in power and subtlety then you just wasted your money. Or need new ears.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm cheating really, naming multiple artists... :roll: anything from Angels and Airwaves, Marillion (Fish era only) and at a push for a single track, Angel by Massive Attack.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Nitin Sawnhey - Noches en Vela (parts 1 & 2) from the album Philtre

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Triveni, from the album 11:11

Submotion Orchestra - Blindspot

...followed by the entire albums Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief by Radiohead: two of the most challenging albums I've encountered with any system. They're extremely well mastered albums, but have a lot of layers and many different tonal textures that can easily wrong-foot a system that might be able to otherwise fool you into thinking it's capable.

They should hit you with plenty of slam and speed with timing that demands you to get involved with the music, you should be able to sense each strand of sound rather than blending into a giant mess and although they should bite, they should never have you reaching for the volume button to turn it down. If your system makes you respond with 'wow' (as it should) then you've got a well-balanced system that should handle anything else with ease!

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
The Carpenters - Lovelines.

Thats the CD I use to set up and test the equipment. If it passes that test all else will be ok.

It's my reference CD.

AmigaNut

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Leeps said:
...followed by the entire albums Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief by Radiohead: two of the most challenging albums I've encountered with any system. They're extremely well mastered albums, but have a lot of layers and many different tonal textures that can easily wrong-foot a system that might be able to otherwise fool you into thinking it's capable.

They should hit you with plenty of slam and speed with timing that demands you to get involved with the music, you should be able to sense each strand of sound rather than blending into a giant mess and although they should bite, they should never have you reaching for the volume button to turn it down. If your system makes you respond with 'wow' (as it should) then you've got a well-balanced system that should handle anything else with ease!

I just dug out my flac copies of the above Radiohead albums, couldn't agree more! Good call. :clap:

T

the record spot

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Yes - The Yes Album

Joni Mitchell - Night Ride Home

Resphigi - The Pines of Rome, 4th Movement

Nick Lowe - The Old Magic

Julie Feeney - Pages

... and a few others

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts