Just scored a L.K.S MH-DA004, feeling a little overwhelmed at what to do next.

MKE Bob

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
I've been keeping my eyes open at places like goodwill looking for audio equipment to start building my setup. After an exciting find (for me, haha) of a Yamaha HTR-3063 receiver for just twenty bucks, I noticed this crazy looking DAC at a local auction. The opening bid was super cheap, so I threw one in on a lark. To my surprise, I got it! Just picked it up and got it home, verified it was working (at least turns on) and gave it a once over. Looks like it was probably never used. I googled the price and just about fell out of my chair. Should I try and build a sweet system around it or should I sell it and actually get a decent pair of speakers? What is the best way I can utilize this DAC? How much more should I expect to spend to get to somewhere decent? This is a little above my experience haha. Hell of a first post for here, but I figure I got to start somewhere!

Attachments

• IMG_8413.jpg
    IMG_8413.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8412.jpg
    IMG_8412.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8409.jpg
    IMG_8409.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8408.jpg
    IMG_8408.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8406.jpg
    IMG_8406.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 9

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I'm not sure what the rest of your system is, but assuming you already have an amp and speakers the simplest way to give this a try would be to connect a Wiim streamer or CD player to it and it to your amp. Then hey presto you will have tunes!

A free trial of Tidal to go with the streamer and you have a world of music at your fingertips.

Reactions: MKE Bob

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I've re-read your post. Do you already have speakers? Or need to get some?

If you only paid £20 personally I wouldn't sell it as you will not likely get another DAC of the same calibre so cheaply.

MKE Bob

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
I've re-read your post. Do you already have speakers? Or need to get some?

If you only paid £20 personally I wouldn't sell it as you will not likely get another DAC of the same calibre so cheaply.
Still on the hunt for speakers. I got some from the local thrift shop, repaired the cones myself (they were rotten) but even after the repairs the sound was awful, so tossed em. I'm slowly assembling my setup. :)

Quick edit: The more I look at it / research, the more I want to keep it. Feels like I got lucky!

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
Yes, keep it.

First get some speakers. If you are working to a budget then ebay collection only can throw up some excellent bargains.

Once you've got speakers, an even cheaper entry to streaming would be to buy a now discontinued Google Chrome cast Audio. These are about £30 used in UK so you would hope are similarly priced where you are. Then buy a cheap digital cable for a few quid. Connect them up and you have music (you will need a trial or subscription to tidal etc.).

Reactions: MKE Bob

MKE Bob

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes, keep it.

First get some speakers. If you are working to a budget then ebay collection only can throw up some excellent bargains.

Once you've got speakers, an even cheaper entry to streaming would be to buy a now discontinued Google Chrome cast Audio. These are about £30 used in UK so you would hope are similarly priced where you are. Then buy a cheap digital cable for a few quid. Connect them up and you have music (you will need a trial or subscription to tidal etc.).
Thank you for the advice!

MKE Bob

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
No worries.

Re speakers. Will you be looking for floorstanders, or standmount/bookshelf type speakers?
What budget will you be working to?
What size is your room?
Recently moved into my first home, so I no longer have to worry about bothering apartment neighbors. Floorstanders would be fine, trying to keep the rest of the kit to $250 (which I understand is a tall order, that's why I've been slowly assembling.) The room is about 25 x 40 feet (8m x 12m).

TRENDING THREADS