First meeting at new local store

Oxfordian

Just thought that I would share an update on my first visit to my local Linn dealer today to listen to an LP12 Majik in it's rawest form.

Overall it was a lovely experience, a friendly knowledgeable chat, excellent coffee and some good tunes.

It was great to get an unbiased view of my plan to upgrade my system, thoughts and suggestions on which direction to go, what kit I may want to audition, alternatives that I should consider, what are my thoughts on ex-demo or pre-loved kit.

Very interested to see LP12's in different configurations, and plinth colours, watching whilst a Klimax was being built up prior to being installed in its new owners house was pretty cool, way above my budget though.

When we sat down and listened to some music the LP12 Majik was run through the MM Phono Stage of Naim's Supernait 3 to a pair of Kudos Super 20A floor standers, played a mix of LP's which allowed the set-up to show what it can do, and I have to say it did that rather well.

The store is more than happy to work with my time frame, they agree that walking through the process of upgrading is the best way forward.

My thoughts are; LP12 Majik + Lingo 4 (unless they get a Lingo 1, 2 or 3 come in as part of an upgrade), then sit back and enjoy some music for a while before upgrading the amplification (I did like the SN3), speakers will be last upgrade if I think that my ATC's could be improved upon (I think that they can).

For me the biggest lesson I had was just how effortlessly the music came from those Kudos speakers, yes the 20A's are considerably bigger and a good chunk of money more than my ATC's but the difference was huge, scarily huge. I was just amazed at how the music just flowed over me whilst we sat there, even at low volumes, this is something that I just do not get from my system at the moment but very definitely a goal to aim for.

A great few hours, very enlightening.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
Just thought that I would share an update on my first visit to my local Linn dealer today to listen to an LP12 Majik in it's rawest form.

Overall it was a lovely experience, a friendly knowledgeable chat, excellent coffee and some good tunes.

It was great to get an unbiased view of my plan to upgrade my system, thoughts and suggestions on which direction to go, what kit I may want to audition, alternatives that I should consider, what are my thoughts on ex-demo or pre-loved kit.

Very interested to see LP12's in different configurations, and plinth colours, watching whilst a Klimax was being built up prior to being installed in its new owners house was pretty cool, way above my budget though.

When we sat down and listened to some music the LP12 Majik was run through the MM Phono Stage of Naim's Supernait 3 to a pair of Kudos Super 20A floor standers, played a mix of LP's which allowed the set-up to show what it can do, and I have to say it did that rather well.

The store is more than happy to work with my time frame, they agree that walking through the process of upgrading is the best way forward.

My thoughts are; LP12 Majik + Lingo 4 (unless they get a Lingo 1, 2 or 3 come in as part of an upgrade), then sit back and enjoy some music for a while before upgrading the amplification (I did like the SN3), speakers will be last upgrade if I think that my ATC's could be improved upon (I think that they can).

For me the biggest lesson I had was just how effortlessly the music came from those Kudos speakers, yes the 20A's are considerably bigger and a good chunk of money more than my ATC's but the difference was huge, scarily huge. I was just amazed at how the music just flowed over me whilst we sat there, even at low volumes, this is something that I just do not get from my system at the moment but very definitely a goal to aim for.

A great few hours, very enlightening.
Sounds like you had a good time and I’m glad that it went well.

DG…

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Sounds like you had a good time and I’m glad that it went well.

DG…
Thanks, it was very good, relaxed, no sales pater, just him listening to my thoughts and ideas then offering suggestions on what I could do and with what.

I am very impressed so far, he tries to stock UK brands only, so there was plenty of Linn, Naim, Exposure, Rega and Sugden. Plus a new one on me T&A who are apparently a family run business and take feedback on board from their customers, the guy rates them very highly.

Naim is very well thought of as they look after their products as long as they possibly can, he had sent off that morning a pre/power combo to Naim for their second major service in 33 years, not sure many other companies could do that.

Looks as though my new TT will be a Linn LP12, amp and speakers are going to require a few more listening sessions, and there’s no hardship in doing that.

A very enjoyable few hours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts