Where/how do you listen to music the most?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Most often in my "man cave" (basement bar and entertainment room). Listen to LPs on a turn table, watch movies/sports, and have an occasional cocktail. I listen through a receiver that is optimal for surround sound and very good for HiFi. I cant afford multiple setups at this point and I wanted something that could do both.
I like to share my hi-fi with the family. As it's all connected to the TV, Sky box and Bluray as well as CDs and vinyl, it covers all our needs.

Steve983

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Mainly via my Marantz CD player at home. Casual listening at lower levels via Linn Index speakers and NAD amp. More serious listening via my Cambridge Audio amp and Sennheiser headphones. Also serious listening on my Rega t/t.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
In my living room streaming Deezer HiFi through a Denon DAC hooked up to my computer that sends the stream by cable to a rather cheap Philips mini set. In my bedroom I recently put a more costly Denon CEOL N12 that strictly speaking gives a more transparent, analytical sound but the sound of the cheaper Philips is warmer so I prefer that one to listen to on a daily basis.
And my Sony LDAC headphones I also use quite a lot.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
In my living room streaming Deezer HiFi through a Denon DAC hooked up to my computer that sends the stream by cable to a rather cheap Philips mini set. In my bedroom I recently put a more costly Denon CEOL N12 that strictly speaking gives a more transparent, analytical sound but the sound of the cheaper Philips is warmer so I prefer that one to listen to on a daily basis.
And my Sony LDAC headphones I also use quite a lot.
I would love an N12 or 10, 11. I have a very old CEOL N7 a model before Spotify was added to the mix. Just streams from my NAS.

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
I would love an N12 or 10, 11. I have a very old CEOL N7 a model before Spotify was added to the mix. Just streams from my NAS.
I was too lazy to return it to Amazon, also because the sound quality and the speakers are ok for me, but after an excellent experience with a Denon DAC, I had expected more. Here is my Amazon review:

"The sound quality is ok but only a tad better than hifi sets you can get for less than half of the price you have to pay for this one.
Radio (DAB + FM) reception is ok, but DAB stations are not sorted alphabetically and there is only one list of presets that mixes both DAB and FM stations.
The products claims high resolution audio, but that's quite useless with a bluetooth connection that can only use the SBC codec. In a product with such a high price, LDAC or aptX HD should have been added.
If you use Deezer: No HiFi playback. Only 320 kbps.
As to internet radio: Denon warns in their user manual that the internet radio service can be removed at any time without prenotice.
The alarm setting can be used with the DAB/FM tuner and the CD player, but unfortunately not with internet stations.
The internet radio uses the Tunein service: Unfortunately a lot of radio stations cannot be found in the Tunein database.
The remote control is far from being intuitive.
Conclusion: Denon promises a lot and asks a high price, but doesn't deliver."

For my bedroom (rather incidental use) it's ok but had I bought it for the living room, I would have returned it.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Do you store your CD collection on the NAS?

From what I understand NAS means network-attached storage, which is a HDD drive.

Can you listen to your music without the computer being on
Yep can listen to music without computer being on. NAS are attached directly to a network via ethernet completely independent of a PC. Just need the computer to rip the CD's to the NAS, once on there, any of my devices that are also connected to the network can access the music. My Denon N7 and my 2 CCA's which like the NAS are hard wired to the network and all the families phones and tablets which are obviously connected via WiFi.

Until Seagate withdrew the web based interface I could access the NAS from anywhere in the world (not that I ever left the UK😂) There is a way round it if you use If This Then That protocol but I'm not an IT whizz so I haven't bothered.

Dom

Yep can listen to music without computer being on. NAS are attached directly to a network via ethernet completely independent of a PC. Just need the computer to rip the CD's to the NAS, once on there, any of my devices that are also connected to the network can access the music. My Denon N7 and my 2 CCA's which like the NAS are hard wired to the network and all the families phones and tablets which are obviously connected via WiFi.

Until Seagate withdrew the web based interface I could access the NAS from anywhere in the world (not that I ever left the UK😂) There is a way round it if you use If This Then That protocol but I'm not an IT whizz so I haven't bothered.
Apart from hopefully improved sound quality from powering down your PC, you also using a bit less power?

Nice, until your need to access your internet for the lastest Jack Reacher?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
😂I have no problem accessing any TV shows or movies I want to watch. Like I say the NAS is attached to the network independently of the computer. Anything we want to watch is covered by Disney +, Amazon Prime or Freesat. 😊👍🏻

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Do you store your CD collection on the NAS?

From what I understand NAS means network-attached storage, which is a HDD drive.

Can you listen to your music without the computer being on?
'ello Dom :)
I have NAS two port 2TB x2 raid 0 configuration TerraMaster Cloud Server, where my music is stored. It's networked on the cloud so you need to be online. My TerraMaster is hard connected via LAN ethernet but can also be accessed directly by wireless.

However, it really depends on the model, some NAS devices are equipped with a Slave USB output, which effectively turns it into an external hard disk. I think mine only has two USB inputs. This is used to strap on any external SSD/HDDs to the server.

What I really like about it, any device not just your PC/laptop can access it (as administrator you can extend the authorisation to access the cloud network - you need the MAC address for each device), so in theory you can access it from your mobile (Android/OS) while on the move or friends, relatives can access it remotely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cricketbat70

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I have NAS two port 2TB x2 raid 0 configuration TerraMaster Cloud Server, where my music is stored. It's networked on the cloud so you need to be online.
However, it really depends on the model, some NAS devices are equipped with a Slave USB output, which effectively turns it into an external hard disk. I think mine only has two USB inputs. This is used to strap on any external SSD/HDDs to the server.

What I really like about it, any device not just your PC/laptop can access it (as administrator you can extend the authorisation to access the cloud network - you need the MAC address for each device), so in theory you can access it from your mobile (Android/OS) while on the move or friends, relatives can access it remotely.
Mine is just a basic 3TB NAS no RAID and until Seagate withdrew the cloud service I could access it from anywhere that had internet. Now I can only access it from devices connected to my own network, whether ethernet or WiFi.
When Seagate withdrew the cloud service they said you can still access it from the cloud, if you use If This Then That. I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do it.

It does mean that my NAS has lost some functionality. I can no longer rip CD's straight to it. I have to rip to my PC's hard drive then drag the files across to the NAS.
I can still stream to all my devices from it, which was the main reason for getting a NAS.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Mine is just a basic 3TB NAS no RAID and until Seagate withdrew the cloud service I could access it from anywhere that had internet. Now I can only access it from devices connected to my own network, whether ethernet or WiFi.
When Seagate withdrew the cloud service they said you can still access it from the cloud, if you use If This Then That. I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to do it.

It does mean that my NAS has lost some functionality. I can no longer rip CD's straight to it. I have to rip to my PC's hard drive then drag the files across to the NAS.
I can still stream to all my devices from it, which was the main reason for getting a NAS.
Really surprise Seagate withdrew from the cloud service, they're major player in the storage industry. Oh that's pants. Yeah I've been ripping some of my old CD collections also but mostly converting original source into the various formats (Dsd/flac/wave/ogg etc).

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Really surprise Seagate withdrew from the cloud service, they're major player in the storage industry. Oh that's pants. Yeah I've been ripping some of my old CD collections also but mostly converting original source into the various formats (Dsd/flac/wave/ogg etc).
I know it was damn annoying when the cloud service was withdrawn. I don't know if it was just on older models or across the board with Seagate NAS drives.

When I rip my CD's I rip them to flac using Sony's music centre software mainly because I use that software to put the music on to my Sony hi-res pmp. When not using the pmp, I stream from the NAS to either my Denon or my 2 CCA's that can all play flac.
Or when I'm listening to music in bed I use Bubble UPnP on my phone. (Another thread I posted a while back, listening to music in bed helps me sleep. I can lay awake for hours but put music on and I sleep no problem)

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I know it was damn annoying when the cloud service was withdrawn. I don't know if it was just on older models or across the board with Seagate NAS drives.

When I rip my CD's I rip them to flac using Sony's music centre software mainly because I use that software to put the music on to my Sony hi-res pmp. When not using the pmp, I stream from the NAS to either my Denon or my 2 CCA's that can all play flac.
Or when I'm listening to music in bed I use Bubble UPnP on my phone. (Another thread I posted a while back, listening to music in bed helps me sleep. I can lay awake for hours but put music on and I sleep no problem)
lately I've been suffering from a bout of insomnia, comes and goes. I think that's great. I was using Kodi on my Android media player but not a real fan of the interface. I'll download Bubble UPnP on my mobile and give it a try. Thanks!

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I got it wrong by the way. It isn't If This Then That to access the NAS remotely it's FTP or SFTP. I remember falling at the first hurdle because to set up either of these you have to log into the Seagate Dashboard which I couldn't do as that is web based and on the cloud, a service that they had withdrawn.

I'm no IT wizard someone who is might be able to figure it out.

Dom

I have NAS two port 2TB x2 raid 0 configuration TerraMaster Cloud Server, where my music is stored. It's networked on the cloud so you need to be online. My TerraMaster is hard connected via LAN ethernet but can also be accessed directly by wireless.

Uh huh? Me no comprende.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts