Where/how do you listen to music the most?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
This has probably been discussed somewhere before but where/ how do you listen to music? Have you got a dedicated room etc?

In an ideal world I would takeover the cellar in our house, have a chair in the perfect position in relation to the speakers etc but......As I spend 8 hours a day at work I have to admit that's where I listen to most music, A 31 year old Denon PMA250mk2 powering some TDL bookshelf speakers my son got though FB market place, streaming Spotify from my son's phone through a Harman Kardon Bluetooth adapter. It's surprising how well this does in 50,000 sq ft warehouse. (Photos attached) ignore the Akai AV receiver in the pic, that is dead!

When at home I never seem to get the time to listen to my hifi (probably the main reason I've not gone down the upgrade path, even though I want to)
So I listen to my PMP or Spotify through my phone in bed.

So any of you got the ideal room to listen to music?

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_095435854.jpg
    IMG_20240129_095435854.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240129_095356544.jpg
    IMG_20240129_095356544.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20240129_095339549.jpg
    IMG_20240129_095339549.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 27

Messiah

Not sure I have the ideal room but at present I do have a dedicated space in the loft for music. Currently housing a Kenwood 5050R amp, Kenwood 3060 CD player, Ifi Zen Blue V2 (all soon to be replaced) and Q Acoustics 3030i

(I have a couple of threads in the 'Show off your set up' section that will be updated soon. 😊)

However, with that being said, most of my current listening is either done in the living room via the Denon 3700h AVR, Spotify connect, Marantz CD6007 through MA Radius 90's and a Yamaha sub or in the kitchen via a Denon D-M41 DAB connected to MA Radius 90 HD.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
This is pretty much my flat, except bedroom & bathroom. Kitchen is along the wall behind.

It’s a great space for listening to the hifi, which is usually an hour each morning & 2 in the evening.

Far left by the window is my desk/studio with Adam’s monitors where I do Spotify listening during the day.

There’s a Bose soundtouch on the kitchen counter that doesn’t get used, and one in the bedroom that I use for radio 4 in the morning as well as Spotify in bed with a book.

The other major listening I do is Spotify & AirPod pros whenever I’m out and about.

IMG-2503.jpg

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Not sure I have the ideal room but at present I do have a dedicated space in the loft for music. Currently housing a Kenwood 5050R amp, Kenwood 3060 CD player, Ifi Zen Blue V2 (all soon to be replaced) and Q Acoustics 3030i

(I have a couple of threads in the 'Show off your set up' section that will be updated soon. 😊)

However, with that being said, most of my current listening is either done in the living room via the Denon 3700h AVR, Spotify connect, Marantz CD6007 through MA Radius 90's and a Yamaha sub or in the kitchen via a Denon D-M41 DAB connected to MA Radius 90 HD.
I look forward to seeing the update.

Reactions: Messiah

Witterings

I have 2 main listening areas, a reasonable size kitchen living room with a Denon M39 , WiiM Pro and Elac B5.2 speakers, a large part of the time this is just with the radio on but can stream if I want to or have friends round and are entertaining in there.

I also have the main lounge / diner with another WiiM , an Arcam SA30 and ProAc D20 R's, we end up in here watching TV most evenings and have a wood burner, I listen to music in here a lot after The Mrs has gone to bed although speaker placement and room modes aren't the best in this room.
I also often multiroom these 2 and if it's the summer the garden as well with outside speakers.

I could set my study up as a more dedicated area and could sound treat this room but after you've been sitting comfortably and have a fire burning getting up amd moving to a cold room has no appeal.

I do though have an SMSL AO200 and some old Wharfedale 9.1's in this room, another WiiM and plugged into my PC so can also watch music DVD's / Youtube and can play music in here as loud as I like as the sound doesn't seem to travel to the rest of the house so do occasionally use it in the evenings if I fancy really blasting something out.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Just re-read this... That's like 5 football pitches, right? Massive!
Just got this from the internet
The FA publishes recommended minimum pitch sizes for senior 11v11 games. They are:

• 101 metres long by 64 metres wide
  • 110 yards by 70 yards wide
This makes the total area of the pitch some 69,300 square feet, or 1.6 acres for a full-size football pitch. This area doesn’t include any run-off area, which the

So our warehouse is not even 1 football pitch in area.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I have 2 main listening areas, a reasonable size kitchen living room with a Denon M39 , WiiM Pro and Elac B5.2 speakers, a large part of the time this is just with the radio on but can stream if I want to or have friends round and are entertaining in there.

I also have the main lounge / diner with another WiiM , an Arcam SA30 and ProAc D20 R's, we end up in here watching TV most evenings and have a wood burner, I listen to music in here a lot after The Mrs has gone to bed although speaker placement and room modes aren't the best in this room.
I also often multiroom these 2 and if it's the summer the garden as well with outside speakers.

I could set my study up as a more dedicated area and could sound treat this room but after you've been sitting comfortably and have a fire burning getting up amd moving to a cold room has no appeal.

I do though have an SMSL AO200 and some old Wharfedale 9.1's in this room, another WiiM and plugged into my PC so can also watch music DVD's / Youtube and can play music in here as loud as I like as the sound doesn't seem to travel to the rest of the house so do occasionally use it in the evenings if I fancy really blasting something out.
I'm so tempted to add Wiim pro to my two set ups at home but as I already have Chromecast Audio' s connected to them both, one with an ethernet adapter - that I didn't know existed until a nice helpful post on these forums (I will get one for the other CCA) - I think Rachel would kill me. 😉

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Just got this from the internet
The FA publishes recommended minimum pitch sizes for senior 11v11 games. They are:

• 101 metres long by 64 metres wide
  • 110 yards by 70 yards wide
This makes the total area of the pitch some 69,300 square feet, or 1.6 acres for a full-size football pitch. This area doesn’t include any run-off area, which the

So our warehouse is not even 1 football pitch in area.
Oops, maths fail 🤣🤣🤣

I can barely add up, not sure how I decided to try mental arithmetic that involved converting metres to foot & multiplication 🫠

Witterings

I'm so tempted to add Wiim pro to my two set ups at home but as I already have Chromecast Audio' s connected to them both, one with an ethernet adapter - that I didn't know existed until a nice helpful post on these forums (I will get one for the other CCA) - I think Rachel would kill me. 😉

I had CCA's (still have in a cupboard) .... my very old ipad mini 2 wouldn't see Chromecast and I thought it was Apple not wanting to integrate with someone they considered as competition .... I didn't realise it was just that my ipad was too old but that was my reason for changing along with them giving the impression they may be phasing out Chromecast although it appears not.
I'm not sure what resolution Amazon music casts to Chromecast but I think it's restricted and the only other real advantage of the WiiM's is gapless music.

Apart from tha the CCA's pretty much do what you need, shame they stopped doing them / didn't develop them further making them gapless and higher resolution, they were way ahead of the pack at the time.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I had CCA's (still have in a cupboard) .... my very old ipad mini 2 wouldn't see Chromecast and I thought it was Apple not wanting to integrate with someone they considered as competition .... I didn't realise it was just that my ipad was too old but that was my reason for changing along with them giving the impression they may be phasing out Chromecast although it appears not.
I'm not sure what resolution Amazon music casts to Chromecast but I think it's restricted and the only other real advantage of the WiiM's is gapless music.

Apart from tha the CCA's pretty much do what you need, shame they stopped doing them / didn't develop them further making them gapless and higher resolution, they were way ahead of the pack at the time.
I bought one, then read they were being discontinued so bought two more from a Jersey based company I buy my SD cards and USB drives from.
One connected to my main setup in the front room, one connected to an old Denon mini separates system DRA-101 in the dining room and a spare just in case. I have taken the spare one into work but for some reason it keeps dropping WiFi. We have no problems connecting our phones to the WiFi and then streaming to the Bluetooth adapter at work, so I don't know what's going on there.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site

Well I've just been on eBay and got myself a brand new boxed Google ethernet adapter for the CCA for £7.99 a couple of quid cheaper than my first one, that I also got from eBay. Should arrive Wednesday then I will have both CCA's wired to the network. I know it's only music and not bandwidth hungry movies but I still prefer anything that streams to be wired to the network. You should see my house 8 port network switches everywhere 🤣

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
This has probably been discussed somewhere before but where/ how do you listen to music? Have you got a dedicated room etc?

In an ideal world I would takeover the cellar in our house, have a chair in the perfect position in relation to the speakers etc but......As I spend 8 hours a day at work I have to admit that's where I listen to most music, A 31 year old Denon PMA250mk2 powering some TDL bookshelf speakers my son got though FB market place, streaming Spotify from my son's phone through a Harman Kardon Bluetooth adapter. It's surprising how well this does in 50,000 sq ft warehouse. (Photos attached) ignore the Akai AV receiver in the pic, that is dead!

When at home I never seem to get the time to listen to my hifi (probably the main reason I've not gone down the upgrade path, even though I want to)

Wow, a lot of space for the music to fill. Nice functional approach, doesn't have to be pretty but it hits the spot.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Wow, a lot of space for the music to fill. Nice functional approach, doesn't have to be pretty but it hits the spot.
Yeah we've blown a few pairs of cheap mini system speakers over the years with the volume being a bit high. You know when they've gone the bass sounds like wet fart🤣. Great thing about working here and customers disposing of old mini systems they've bought from us in the past, I've ended up with a few pairs of speakers just to use at work for our music.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have basically four HiFi setups, the least expensive is the one I listen to most. My Diner-Fi, is on every morning and evening, mostly watching TV, Youtube and Netflix and will use the Bluetooth on my mobile to transmit the songs on to SMSL amp.
At weekends I either listen to music on my Studio-Fi (aka Man cave) or Bed-FI. My main Lounge-Fi, if we have quest, I might listen to it then'

In the order of usage

Diner-Fi
1706548128083.png

Studio-FI
1706548192547.png
Bed-FI
1706548255630.png
Lounge-FI - the cats love it :)
1706547899059.png

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I have basically four HiFi setups, the least expensive is the one I listen to most. My Diner-Fi, is on every morning and evening, mostly watching TV, Youtube and Netflix and will use the Bluetooth on my mobile to transmit the songs on to SMSL amp.
At weekends I either listen to music on my Studio-Fi (aka Man cave) or Bed-FI. My main Lounge-Fi, if we have quest, I might listen to it then'

In the order of usage

Diner-Fi
View attachment 6026

Studio-FI
View attachment 6027
Bed-FI
View attachment 6028
Lounge-FI - the cats love it :)
View attachment 6025
Love it. I used to have a bed-fi consisting of a Curry's special, Hitachi two box micro system it was later reintroduced in Currys under their Sandstrom brand. I now have a Panasonic SC-HTB200 sound bar in the bedroom as me and Rach watch TV together in bed and she can't hear the TV speakers. My bed-fi is now basically either my Sony PMP or my phone and Bose QC35.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Fandango Andy

I nearly asked the same question over Christmas when I came to the conclusion that my living room where my main setup is isn't the place I listen to the most music, it probably isn't even second! The top two are kitchen and bedroom.

In the kitchen I have a pair of old Wharfdale speakers in that are connected to my living room system. As with a lot of Marantz amps I have the option of a second set of speakers. I have no control of the volume from the other room, I have to set it an leave it but use WiiM app to chose what I play.

Then in the bedroom I have a Sony TA-F246E (£25 on ebay about ten years ago) and a pair of Mission 701 speakers. I have a CD player and turntable connected but mainly use a Chromecast Audio. I sometimes work from the bedroom (only room in the house other than the living room that would accommodate my big old desk).

The Mission's in the bedroom were actually in my main system for 20 years but swapped them for the Tannoy Mercury M1's in my bedroom. I did it for an experiment two years ago and have never changed back. They are more forgiving of the limited placement options in the bedroom than the Tannoy were. The swap also suits the different types of music I listen to in the two rooms.

matthewpianist

Our lounge is a long room with bi-fold doors. When closed they leave a third of the space, which is where my hi-fi, the piano and my wife's workstation all live. This is where I listen to music, in the evening for however long I can snatch. The doors don't provide much sound isolation, so when her kids are with us and watching TV, my choice of music is governed by that. I can't listen to classical music on those occasions, because the wide dynamic range means that some passages end up being drowned by the TV sound. Sometimes, headphones are a solution (and I have very good ones), but I do prefer listening through the speakers.

It's a big change from my previous position when I lived alone. I had complete freedom then to listen whenever I wanted and to have the system set up more ideally, but compromises have to be made, and I've chosen my current system accordingly - it still sounds superb even with the speakers on a sideboard.

I haven't driven for the past 5 years after surrendering my medical driving license, and there's no prospect of getting back on the road for at least another year, so I don't get to listen in the car like I used to. I do often use my Sony BT headphones and Tidal when travelling on the bus, and they sound surprisingly good considering they only cost £35.

Last edited:

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Most often in my "man cave" (basement bar and entertainment room). Listen to LPs on a turn table, watch movies/sports, and have an occasional cocktail. I listen through a receiver that is optimal for surround sound and very good for HiFi. I cant afford multiple setups at this point and I wanted something that could do both.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Most often in my "man cave" (basement bar and entertainment room). Listen to LPs on a turn table, watch movies/sports, and have an occasional cocktail. I listen through a receiver that is optimal for surround sound and very good for HiFi. I cant afford multiple setups at this point and I wanted something that could do both
Like wise with me. Yamaha AV receiver in the front room that is good for hifi. My old Denon mini separates in dining room was given to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts