What classical music are you listening to?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit off track but I see that Decca have released a Phase 4 Stereo set. It's 41 CDs for about £60. If anybody wants to get a start with a broad spectrum of classical (and some film) music then this would be an interesting set. I guess to the purist the recordings might be seen as a bit idiosyncratic but they were certainly spectacular in the 1960s when they were produced.

Chris

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
4785950.jpg

Pablo de Sarasate (1844 - 1908) - Danzas Españolas

Julia Fischer

Milana Chernyavska

Int. Release February 3, 2014

0289 478 5950 5 CD DDD DH

Spotify

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Two evenings on the trot of superb music.

Last night it was I Due Foscari at the ROH, with maestro Pappano conducting Maria Agresta, Francesco Meli and Placido Domingo. The soloists were excellent, though Agresta seemed a bit scratchy in Act I. Domingo is still a commandingly dramatic singer, even in his latter baritone days. The opera is weird though: fine music but a plot you could write on a postage stamp.

Tonight it was Danny Driver at the Wigmore Hall playing Handel, Adès, Beethoven, CPE Bach and Schumann. The Schumann Fantasie Op. 17 was overwhelming.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Some solo piano music at the moment.

Just listened to Grieg's Lyric Pieces for the first time in a long time - the classic Emil Gilels version on DG - such delicacy ...

Inspired, I have turned to another disc that has been gathering dust - Albeniz's Iberia - my version is a Decca 2CD affair that pairs Iberia with Navarra alongside Grenados' Goyescas; Alicia de Larrocha is the pianist. Just magnificent.

Here's the Amazon link -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alb%C3%A9niz-Iberia-Granados-Goyescas-Isaac/dp/B0000042DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414406801&sr=8-1&keywords=albeniz+iberia

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
James7 said:
Some solo piano music at the moment.

Just listened to Grieg's Lyric Pieces for the first time in a long time - the classic Emil Gilels version on DG - such delicacy ...

Inspired, I have turned to another disc that has been gathering dust - Albeniz's Iberia - my version is a Decca 2CD affair that pairs Iberia with Navarra alongside Grenados' Goyescas; Alicia de Larrocha is the pianist. Just magnificent.

Here's the Amazon link -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alb%C3%A9niz-Iberia-Granados-Goyescas-Isaac/dp/B...

The Gilels Grieg Lyric Pieces is really lovely. As you say, great delicacy, but also an understated authority.

On a completely different note, I'm listening to some wonderful early 18th-century choral music from Prague. The Zelenka is especially fine.

81Ga1BcGNOL._SL1500_.jpg

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Lately, much Mahler.

The Kubelik 1st symphony on DG and I agree with Matt's appraisal here. This has been a firm favourite since childhood, and the first Mahler I ever heard; that magical, mysterious opening is captivating.

On DVD, a magnificent performance of the third symphony by the Lucerne Festival Orchestra and Claudio Abbado, such a great loss this year. I didn't know this symphony at all well, but it has leapt to the top of my personal list after hearing this. The playing is of a very high order, with glorious individual contributions from the woodwind and brass, and a string section from heaven (I learn from the booklet that it included members of the Alban Berg and Hagen string quartets!). A treasure.

On CD, a collection of works by Schoenberg, played by the CBSO and BCMG under Rattle (EMI)

The early Kammersymphonie and the later, 12-tone Variations frame that most evocative and strangely beautiful piece, Erwartung, to an unsettling text by Marie Pappenheim. The debt to Mahler is evident throughout, though I think I can hear Janacek's influence in the woodwind writing too (?). The recording is clear enough to highlight the shifting lines and colours in the music, though I don't think it captures Phyllis Bryn-Julson's voice to full effect. Anyone new to Schoenberg, or wanting to revisit his music, would be well served by this disc.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Shostakovich Symphony 13 'Babi Yar' - Kondrashin, Moscow Phil - stunning newish SACD from a 1962 live recording. I think visceral is the right word for this performance and the recording is amazing for its age.

For those who don't know the piece it is perhaps more of a cantata than a symphony and it is unmistakably RUSSIAN. Here it is sung by a Russian bass, Vitaly Grommadsky, and a Russian choir. It relates to the massacre of Russian Jews by the Nazis in WW2.

It is on Praga Digitals and isn't cheap £16 from Amazon but it is worth every penny.

I am somewhat shell-shocked!

Chris

The problem with box sets is you can own them for years without listenibg to each of the discs. Si it is with Disc 10 of my EMI box set of Shostakovich symphonies conducted by Mariss Jamsons, where is to be found Symphony no. 13. Not only has this disc never been out its box; I have never heard the symphony at all. Until the day before yesterday, when prompted by your recommendation I thought I would fire it up. I cannot comment on the performance in comparison with your recommended version, but 'shell shocked' is a pretty good description of how I felt at the end.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
James7 said:
Covenanter said:
Shostakovich Symphony 13 'Babi Yar' - Kondrashin, Moscow Phil - stunning newish SACD from a 1962 live recording. I think visceral is the right word for this performance and the recording is amazing for its age.

For those who don't know the piece it is perhaps more of a cantata than a symphony and it is unmistakably RUSSIAN. Here it is sung by a Russian bass, Vitaly Grommadsky, and a Russian choir. It relates to the massacre of Russian Jews by the Nazis in WW2.

It is on Praga Digitals and isn't cheap £16 from Amazon but it is worth every penny.

I am somewhat shell-shocked!

Chris

The problem with box sets is you can own them for years without listenibg to each of the discs. Si it is with Disc 10 of my EMI box set of Shostakovich symphonies conducted by Mariss Jamsons, where is to be found Symphony no. 13. Not only has this disc never been out its box; I have never heard the symphony at all. Until the day before yesterday, when prompted by your recommendation I thought I would fire it up. I cannot comment on the performance in comparison with your recommended version, but 'shell shocked' is a pretty good description of how I felt at the end.

I am really pleased you like it. If I can share a discovery I am over the moon about that.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Not a recording but I heard the St Petersburg Philarmonic under Yuri Temirkanov play the Tchaikovsky 6th and Violin Concerto. Absolutely stunning and if you have the chance to hear this orchestra don't miss it. Every aspects was wonderful but the string playing was as good as anything I have ever heard, really intense with great depth.

On top of this the soloist in the Violin Concerto, Leticia Moreno, was outstanding. I'm ashamed to say I've not heard of her before but she is a real talent if I am any judge. It doesn't hurt that she is gorgeous, slender with a great figure and flamenco looks, but by God can she play. Temirkanov got it right by letting her take all the applause, he can recognise real talent. The orchestra wouldn't let her share the applause either. I'm off to look for recordings.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Haydn "Sturm and Drang" symphonies - Trever Pinnock and the English Concert - a very high class but budget set. Over 6 hours of wonderful music on 6 CDs, less than £18 from Amazon.

Chris

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've gone a little crazy with the credit card lately. One purchase that I'me now working my way through is the DG collected symphonic recordings by Claudio Abbado. I never got to hear him live, which I regret.
513DgOYvRrL._SY450_.jpg

This set is very much the standard repertoire: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Brahms, Bruckner, Mahler. It would make a truly splendid introduction to the symphonic canon for someone setting out on the classical adventure: 41 disks for £51.10 (on Amazon).

This afternoon I've listened to some of the Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven. His readings have lovely delicacy and very natural tempi. He follows gracefully where the music leads. I'm looking forward to listening to the Mahler.

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Bach Motets, John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir, live recording St John's Smith Square. Wonderful singing of wonderful music and the acoustic comes through brilliantly. Every voice is individually placed with both breadth and depth clearly defined. The quiet passages are breathtaking.

Chris

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
[font="Arial, sans-serif"]Yesterday I watched and listened to the film on DVD made by Christopher Nupen of an amazing quintet playing Schubert's Piano Quintet (The Trout) in 1969. The quintet consisted of: Barenboim (piano), Perlman (violin), Zukerman (viola, yes, viola, not the violin), du Pré (cello) and Zubin Mehta (base). Terrific enthusiasm and spontaneity.[/font]

[font="Arial, sans-serif"]I heard Schubert's other quintet, the one with the two cellos, live at a concert last Sunday. In the last week I have been at two chamber concerts, and to two live transmissions of Operas, from The Met and ROH, at a local cinema. In the next fortnight I am going to three chamber concerts, one full orchestral concert, and another live opera transmission. Maybe that will satiate my need to hear live/near live music for a while, and I'll be happy with CDs and the radio.[/font]

Andrew

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Just listening to 'The Lark Ascending', quite...spellbinding. I find this style of classical very soulful. Recommendations for music with a similar 'feel' appreciated
thumbs_up.gif

EDIT : Just heard another by Vaughan Williams, 'Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis', lovely...

Another EDIT : Pastoral, apparently *smile*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Freddy58 said:
Moved on to Symphony No3, 'A Pastoral Symphony', so moody, love it...

Not sure which version you are listening to but the Previn symphonies on RCA are wonderful.

Chris

Hiya Chris.

The version I was listening to was this one. I've just checked on Spotify, and it appears they have the Previn version with Heather Harper? I'll check it out tomorrow
thumbs_up.gif

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Ingrid Fliter - Chopin Preludes op 38 0n Linn.

This is a lovely recording and I think excellent playing. Fliter is surely one of our best Chopin performers.

A really lovely CD (SACD) and an easy recommendation.

Chris

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I bought a lot at an auction today of over 200 classical records. I know a little about which labels are best, and there's some that I can sell for decent money, but I'd really like to expand both my collection and knowledge, so I'm looking for advice on which ones to keep.

My knowledge is limited, though I am aware of quite a lot of composers, if not their specific work. I particularly like Holst-The Planets, Orff-Carmina Burana, and similar dramatic stuff, but I'd quite like something of a similar style, but less well known.

There's so many composers represented that I couldn't list them all, but I'll name a few that I think I might like, and hopefully you'll be able to shed some light on them.

Schoenberg / Schumann / Rachmaninov / Dvorak / Elgar / Bach / Haydn / Delius / Elgar / Mendelssohn / Berlioz / Mussorgsky / Grieg / Bizet / Mahler / Rossini / Prokofiev / Sibelius

Any help would be much appreciated, though I do understand that I'll have to play some to know if it's something I will like.

matthewpiano

Hi BBB

Some definites that I would recommend keeping/exploring if they are amongst the LPs would be:

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique

Dvorak - Symphony No.9 "From The New World"

Mussorgsky - Night On A Bare Mountain (some terrific brass writing here)

Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor (this is the one doctored for the famous Morecambe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn)

Sibelius - Symphony No.1 in E Minor

Mendelssohn - Hebrides Overture

Mahler - Symphonies Nos 1 and 5

These are all great but accessible works though I think once you get into them your thirst for exploring more will be unstoppable. With that in mind I'd hold off selling any of the LPs until you have given them at least one listen.

Hope this helps.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Much appreciated Matthew, thank you.

I do have some of your recommendations, and in some cases, more than one. *smile*

I have:-

Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor (2 copies)

Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture (Overture "The Hebrides" Op.26 (Fingal's Cave)

Mahler Symphony No.1

Sibelius Symphony in E Minor

Dvorak Symphony No.9 (2 copies)

I'll give them a spin tomorrow.

I've enjoyed playing the records tonight, and as much as I appreciated the huge variety of music labelled as "Classical" before, since obtaining all of these records (and playing some of them), my appreciation has grown.

I will continue to investigate. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts