What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 377 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Christopher Ward said:
Loads of the varied output from 2 German chaps called Mark Ernestus and Moritz Von Oswald. They made a series of 12 inch singles as "Rhythm & Sound" with and without reggae singers. It gets described as "dub techno" which confuses me. It sounds like the dub end of Reggae but made by people far away from Jamaica in the 70s. It's all very big in the bottom end. Equiknoxx have got a new LP coming out on Friday, it's one of the best sounds of Jamaica nowadays.

Thanks again for these recommendations. I've heard the new Equiknoxx LP and like it a lot, and have (hopefully) ordered a copy. I'll try to track down their first as well. And the Rhythm & Sound See Mi Deh Remixes compilation sounds intriguing too. Always good to have new things to listen to – thanks!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Lost Angeles said:
Breakfast In America and Crime of The CenturyFree Fire And Water this morning.

Now got an appointment with 3 pints of Abbott. Oh to be retired, well someone has to do it.

Do what? Drink Abbott? I am with you...... ;-)

If you're ever in Burton Al I'll meet you for an hour in The Roebuck where I can recommend the Abbot, Bass. Marstons Pedigree, Theakstons Old Original and Directors which are all excellent. Not to be all drunk at once though and The Roebuck is not my local but they do serve some good stuff.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa, Black Coffee, arrived earlier. So far, so great.

And Al, if you do get to Burton, you should also try the Burton Bridge Brewery. Proper - well, it was last time I was there.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
knaithrover said:
La Dusseldorf : Viva

On a label called Four Men with Beards - obviously a repress, great album but sounds flat. Anybody heard of this company?

They appear in a thread on the "other place" that appears to trigger the spam filter - the Hoff Steveman Forum.

I think the description could be best placed in the "inconsistent" column....

To be offset with the usual bias that people really only complain about bad stuff in forums, but still, that's a fair old amount of feedback.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
brownz said:
knaithrover said:
La Dusseldorf : Viva

On a label called Four Men with Beards - obviously a repress, great album but sounds flat. Anybody heard of this company?

They appear in a thread on the "other place" that appears to trigger the spam filter - the Hoff Steveman Forum.

I think the description could be best placed in the "inconsistent" column....

To be offset with the usual bias that people really only complain about bad stuff in forums, but still, that's a fair old amount of feedback.

Yeah saw that will avoid in future thanks

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Sold some Fall records recently, so played some of them before selling:

The Fall – Live at the Witch Trials
The Fall – Dragnet
The Fall – Grotesque
The Fall – Call for Escape Route EP
The Fall – I Am Kurious, Oranj
The Fall – The Frenz Experiment

Still really like the early stuff, and really don't like the late-80s stuff.

Also on the turntable:

Björk – Utopia
Curtis Mayfield – Back to the World
GoGo Penguin – A Humdrum Star

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Braved the snow to pick up a few new releases:

Gwenno – Le Tov
Anna Von Hausswolff – Dead Magic
Courtney Barnett – Nameless, Faceless 7"
Rae Morris – Someone Out There

also:

Fire! Orchestra – Ritual
GoGo Penguin – A Humdrum Star

All good stuff!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Played some Springsteen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, Chris Rea and Thin Lizzy, didn't quite sound as nice as the Wilson Benesch set-up at the Bristol Show.
cry_smile.png

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Laddio Bolocko - Live & Unreleased treble album box set

If you like experimental/avant-garde music, this is probably the greatest band you've never heard of - immense.

To quote a reviewer on Norman Records website.....

"Every so often a record comes along that knocks my socks off. This desocking happens rarely to me nowadays as I'm 65 and have been listening to interesting and challenging music all my life. But it happened with this Laddio Bolocko record. It's so exciting, inventive, beautiful and, yes fun! You know how you listen to some noise/free jazz and it's the musical equivalent of cabbage? You feel as though it's doing you good and it's very worthy, but you are frankly rather glad when it's over. Not so with this.

You will admire its brilliance but you will also feed on the sheer joy these guys are having with their music-making. How could they have gone unheard for so long?"

Jonathan Cox

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
A friend asked me to clean his copy of Led Zeppelin 1 purple label was in decent nick but pretty crackly, understandably. Kept it for a few days for my trouble, but giving it back was painful, it sounded absolutely incredible! The difference in sound compared to any other version was astonishing it’s what I would show anybody who asked me “what’s so good about vinyl”.

TRENDING THREADS