What classical music are you listening to?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Summer Tale and Fantastic Scherzo on Decca - spellbinding playing from the Czech PO under Mackerras, a conductor I have infinte respect for - nuanced, subtle and emotionally engaging; and beautifully recorded too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suk-Fantastic-Scherzo-Summers-Tale/dp/B00002MXNF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406203294&sr=8-3&keywords=suk+summer+tale

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
James7 said:
Naxos said:
Webern said:
Naxos said:
James7 said:
Vaughan Williams. A Sea Symphony (Haitink on EMI) and now Sy6mphony No. 3 (a BBC Music magazine disc - a 1960s recording by the BBC SO). And yesterday, a Naxos disc of VW chamber music performed by the London Soloists Ensemble.

Made me think I would like to try out some alternative interpretations of his symphonies in particular. Is there a VW symphonies cycle you would particularly recommend, or failing that, a performance of an individual symphony that particularly stands out?

Vaughan Williams has to be one of my favourite composers. I grew up with the EMI Boult set and love it still. I also have Haitink, who really makes you think about different ways the symphonies can be interpreted (and that opening of the Sea Symphony just takes your breath away!). However, as in so much other British repertoire, it's Handley who I feel gives (for me) the best overall account of the symphonies - and at a bargain price as well. Desert-island stuff for me! *yahoo*

I think VW is very well served on record - in addition to Tod Handley's cycle and the Boult and Haitink sets mentioned above, I have the Andrew Davis/BBCSO box on Warner Classics, which includes Job, Lark Ascending, Tallis variations and The Wasps, captured in spacious 1990's recordings. Another favourite set from childhood was the Previn/LSO (RCA), though I've lost these somewhere along the line. If I had to pick just one entire set, I think I'd give the nod to Tod...

Agreed - I love Previn too. Haven't heard the Davis - must give it a go sometime. And then there's Hickox, of course - the "London" 'Director's Cut' was a revelation!

Thanks all. Food for thought.

In the meantime I have gone ahead and ordered the Handley set. As Matthew noted, one definite positive that I can attest to without having yet received them is price - seven discs for under £20, and that's without checking out the used bargains.

The Previn versions have been my favourites since they came out. Not all critics agree that they are universally successful but I played the entire cycle earlier this year and was enthralled. You can still get most of them on Amazon but some of the discs are quite rare and you might have to pay higher prices for them. I guess they will be reissued at some point.

Chris

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
This morning Bellini I Capuleti E I Montecchi on DG with Netrebko and Garancha (and Calleja!). It's a brilliant live recording from the Vienna Konzerthaus with the divas in outstanding form - just listen to the duet Si, fuggire: a noi non resta for example (Netrebko is Juliet and Garancha is Romeo). I understand the performance ended with a 15 minute standing ovation and If I had been there I might still be clapping!

If you think you don't like opera then this is the one set to buy IMO because I defy anybody not to be stunned by the singing. Garancha is particularly wonderful in this repertoire.

Chris

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation - this is going onto my priority list. I assume there's a full libretto in the package?

I recently acquired a recording of "Il Pirata" on Opera Rara having heard this opera on Radio 3 not too long ago, and I'm developing a love for Bellini's music.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Webern said:
Thanks for the recommendation - this is going onto my priority list. I assume there's a full libretto in the package?

I recently acquired a recording of "Il Pirata" on Opera Rara having heard this opera on Radio 3 not too long ago, and I'm developing a love for Bellini's music.

Yep it has an interesting article about Bellini and the opera, a plot synopsis and the words (in English, French, Italian and German) and some nice pictures of the lovely ladies.

If you like Garancha and Netrebko together may I further recommend a DVD of them in Donizetti's Anna Bolena (which I don't think is available on CD). It's not a well known work but again the singing is simply wonderful. Sadly this doesn't have a libretto but it does have subtitles.

Chris

PS I'll happily admit to being somewhat in love with Elina Garancha who is beautiful and sings beautifully. If you have seen her Carmen you will also know that she is sex on a stick.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again, and for the Donizetti tip also. I've spent an enjoyable hour this morning watching some excerpts from various performances on Garanča's website. I loved the aria from Clemenza di Tito especially, but I think her voice is ideal for Bellini too. And I don't blame you at all for being in love with her! I had seen a duet with Netrebko (Offenbach) but apart from that, I didn't know much about her at all. By the way Garanča is in London this October for a recital that includes the Berg Sieben frühe Lieder. [/b]

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Webern said:
Thanks again, and for the Donizetti tip also. I've spent an enjoyable hour this morning watching some excerpts from various performances on Garanča's website. I loved the aria from Clemenza di Tito especially, but I think her voice is ideal for Bellini too. And I don't blame you at all for being in love with her! I had seen a duet with Netrebko (Offenbach) but apart from that, I didn't know much about her at all. By the way Garanča is in London this October for a recital that includes the Berg Sieben frühe Lieder.

I will see it I can get there.

Chris

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, back to a "desert island disc", Gardiner's magnificent recording of Idomeneo on Archiv, showing its age a little on the engineering side (1991), but no matter as he demonstrates his immaculate judgement and feeling for the composer throughout. This really is a peach of a peformance, with Anne-Sofie Von Otter as Idamante, among a well balanced cast. I've always especially admired Sylvia McNair as Ilia on this recording - Se il padre perdei from Act 2 is done with such feeling and beauty of voice.

The opera is brimming with gorgeous music and Gardiner includes most (all?) of the known surviving material. There's far too much to mention here, just to say it is a joy to experience from start to finish.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Webern said:
Yesterday, back to a "desert island disc", Gardiner's magnificent recording of Idomeneo on Archiv, showing its age a little on the engineering side (1991), but no matter as he demonstrates his immaculate judgement and feeling for the composer throughout. This really is a peach of a peformance, with Anne-Sofie Von Otter as Idamante, among a well balanced cast. I've always especially admired Sylvia McNair as Ilia on this recording - Se il padre perdei from Act 2 is done with such feeling and beauty of voice.

The opera is brimming with gorgeous music and Gardiner includes most (all?) of the known surviving material. There's far too much to mention here, just to say it is a joy to experience from start to finish.

This is repertoire I need to explore. I was never taken by Mozart's operas until I had to study Don Giovanni as part of an OU course and that was a revelation. A problem is that the Gardiner version is now only available at reasonable cost as part of a set which comes without libretti.

Chris

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
This is repertoire I need to explore. I was never taken by Mozart's operas until I had to study Don Giovanni as part of an OU course and that was a revelation. A problem is that the Gardiner version is now only available at reasonable cost as part of a set which comes without libretti.

Chris

Yes, I'm loathe to buy opera sets without libretti, even if the performance is excellent. I made exceptions for the complete Haydn operas (Dorati) and the DG Richard Strauss opera box earlier this year, but I like to sit and follow the action, and it's not always easy to do this even in one's own language!

At least there are copies of some libretti on the internet now, though sometimes the format isn't ideal.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My latest big splurge is Clemens Krauss's 1953 Ring Cycle at Bayreuth. This is the remaster on the Archipel label, and it's a remarkably good one. The voices have great presence, though complex orchestral sections do get somewhat muddled.

However, the perfomances are just glorious. One of the greatest casts ever assembled. Today I did Die Walkuere. Loads of spine-tingling moments.

Very strongly recommended.

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
My latest big splurge is Clemens Krauss's 1953 Ring Cycle at Bayreuth. This is the remaster on the Archipel label, and it's a remarkably good one. The voices have great presence, though complex orchestral sections do get somewhat muddled.

However, the perfomances are just glorious. One of the greatest casts ever assembled. Today I did Die Walkuere. Loads of spine-tingling moments.

Matt

But awful quarters of an hour?

Chris

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Chris

Fewer than Rossini IMO.

*pleasantry*

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Chris

Fewer than Rossini IMO.

*pleasantry*

Matt

I like Woody Allen's "Everytime I hear Wagner I feel like invading Poland".

Some music speaks to you and some doesn't. I suspect I'm missing something but I tried Wagner in my twenties and he doesn't speak to me.

Chris

PS But then I didn't get into opera until my 50s.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:
Covenanter said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Chris

Fewer than Rossini IMO.

*pleasantry*

Matt

I like Woody Allen's "Everytime I hear Wagner I feel like invading Poland".

Some music speaks to you and some doesn't. I suspect I'm missing something but I tried Wagner in my twenties and he doesn't speak to me.

Chris

PS But then I didn't get into opera until my 50s.

It would be a boring (and very strange) world if everyone shared the same tastes and interests.

I only "discovered" Wagner about 10 years ago. I was on sabbatical leave and decided (can't remember why) to devote a couple of days to listening to the ring cycle. But what really sealed the deal was seeing Die Walkuere at the ROH. I found it electrifying, all five hours.

Having said that, I still find the libretto slightly ridiculous, and the whole Bayreuth makes me cringe.

Matt

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I suspect I have posted this before but it's a long thread to look through and it's worth a second recommendation and this is Ingrid Fliter playing the Chopin Piano Concertos on Linn. I think the playing is first class but the recording is absolutely brilliant; I think the best piano recording that I have. I was busy this afternoon and I put it on and had to stop what I was doing to listen to it.

Ravishing!

Chris

dangerouspartridge

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Only just stumbled upon this thread. Whilst I'm not an avid classical music fan I am trying to broaden my horizons.
Now this may be frowned upon but I'm really enjoying Einaudi and Helen Jane Long at the moment. Very simple piano music but I find it relaxing and an enjoyment.
Have you lot got any suggestions that are similar or any idea where to go from here?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
dangerouspartridge said:
Only just stumbled upon this thread. Whilst I'm not an avid classical music fan I am trying to broaden my horizons. Now this may be frowned upon but I'm really enjoying Einaudi and Helen Jane Long at the moment. Very simple piano music but I find it relaxing and an enjoyment. Have you lot got any suggestions that are similar or any idea where to go from here?

It seems you like piano. I won't criticise what you like because "de gustibus non est disputandum" but I would suggest there are rather better things to listen to.

Buy the CD in my last post and try the Chopin Piano concertos. If you like those post here and many of us can suggest further listening.

Chris

PMWas

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Lately I've listened once again to Anton Bruckner's 7th Symphony performed by Sinfonia Varsovia (conductor: Jerzy Semkow). It is a wonderful piece of symphonic music, I've listened to it - I don't know - 20 times perhaps and every time I find something new. And, even though I'm not an expert to judge, I think it's even better than the acclaimed Karajan's interpretation. It's just so perfectly done and very well recorded. I don't know if it's available outside Poland, but it's a true musical feast I can recommend whole-heartadely.

During the week I've also listened to the fabulous Dvorak's 9th, Copland's Appalahian Spring and Rahmaninov's 2nd Symphony in the terryfic Previn's interpretation. All superb music.

But just to rest awhile from the 'big thing' - as I write I'm hearing the good old J.J.Cale in my headphones ;)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
PMWas said:
Lately I've listened once again to Anton Bruckner's 7th Symphony performed by Sinfonia Varsovia (conductor: Jerzy Semkow). It is a wonderful piece of symphonic music, I've listened to it - I don't know - 20 times perhaps and every time I find something new. And, even though I'm not an expert to judge, I think it's even better than the acclaimed Karajan's interpretation. It's just so perfectly done and very well recorded. I don't know if it's available outside Poland, but it's a true musical feast I can recommend whole-heartadely.

During the week I've also listened to the fabulous Dvorak's 9th, Copland's Appalahian Spring and Rahmaninov's 2nd Symphony in the terryfic Previn's interpretation. All superb music.

But just to rest awhile from the 'big thing' - as I write I'm hearing the good old J.J.Cale in my headphones ;)

I don't know that version of the 7th but my favourite is the Chailly/RSO Berlin version on Decca Eclipse which is available at a budget price. (There do seem to be two versions, one expensive and one budget but I think they are the same 1985 recording remastered in 1996. Not clear why there are two.)

I can't take a lot of Bruckner in one go but this is really worth hearing.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dangerouspartridge said:
Only just stumbled upon this thread. Whilst I'm not an avid classical music fan I am trying to broaden my horizons. Now this may be frowned upon but I'm really enjoying Einaudi and Helen Jane Long at the moment. Very simple piano music but I find it relaxing and an enjoyment. Have you lot got any suggestions that are similar or any idea where to go from here?

You could try this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Piano-Sonatas-D-840-Lewis/dp/B00585QLX2/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1408192269&sr=1-4&keywords=schubert+piano+sonatas+paul+lewis

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
It's Proms season of course, and I've been enjoying several of the concerts, a couple of them in the concert hall, the rest on radio. The performance that really grabbed me was Baiba Skride's in the Stravinsky violin concerto. Since I've lost my recording of this work (how on earth do I manage to do it?) hers will be the one I seek out. The two adjectives that sprang to mind were "playful" and "electric"!

I always read people's recommendations on here, even if I don't always reply, so thanks again to Chris for the tip on Bellini Il Capuleti e i Montecchi (DG) - this has been ordered and I can't wait to hear it!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Brahms' 4th, Kleiber, VPO on DG. Easily my favourite CD version. The old Boult, LPO version on HMV was better on vinyl in my memory but the ears have gone since the 1970s! On CD it isn't as good IMO.

As I get older Brahms appeals to me more and more. Perhaps you need maturity to appreciate Brahms?

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts