What classical music are you listening to?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
More Scando stuff tonight: Niels Gade, Symphony No. 7 Op. 45 (Hogwood, Danish National Radio SO, Chandos). I'd strongly recommend trying this out. Obviously it's in the Germanic tradition, and as the composition date of 1864 would suggest, it has strong affinities with Brahms. Quite a bit of Schumann in there too.

It's available on Spotify.

There's also a boxed set of all eight Gade symphonies conducted by Neeme Jarvi which I plan to try soon.

51uslxNWLnL._SX450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't found my way to this area of the forum for some time - it's great to see a classical music-focused thread take off in this way! :cheer:

At the moment ... Bizet's The Pearl Fishers on EMI's 'Classics for Pleasure' label (as opposed to their other classics releases I guess) - the Paris Opera orchestra and chorus under Georges Pretre. Nadir's haunting 'A cette voix', sung here by Alain Vanzo, is floating across as I type - beautiful and ethereal.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
spiny norman said:
matthewpiano said:
I can't wait to hear the impending recording by John Butt on Linn, of which there is a tantalising extract on the Gramophone Player at present. It sounds as though that should really bring Mozart's wonderful Requiem to life and it is certainly on my 'to buy' list for the next few weeks.

Listening to the 24/192 download of the Dunedin Consort Mozart Requiem now, and it's just gorgeous.

Heard a bit more of it playing in the record department downstairs this morning and it sounds wonderful. Have now purchased the CD so looking forward to sitting down and taking it all in properly.

I've only just got round to buying this. It certainly does make you sit bolt upright, and for all the doubts about how authentically Mozartian it is, it's got masses of energy and power.

Matt

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I was intrigued reading about this in BBC Music - the endorsements here have persuaded me ...

out of interest, what alternative Mozart Requiem would you most recommend?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
There are so many good recordings. These are just a couple I've enjoyed:

Mackerras/Scottish Chamber Orch (Alliance)

Davis/Bayerisher Rundfunk (RCA)

Karajan/Vienna Phil (DG)

Others will almost certainly have differing views!

:cheers:

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
And what are your thoughts, Matthew?

A strong recommendation for this box set of Truls Mork cello concerto recordings: 9 disks for £14.50. Yet another Elgar and Dvorak, I hear you say. Well yes, but the Elgar is superb (recently rated the top recording on Radio 3's Building a library), and there's lots of less well known stuff in the box.

The C.P.E. Bach is outstanding and a clear winner against my previous standard (Tim Hugh on Naxos). Mork is beautifully fluent and delicate, and there's no lack of the CPEB exuberance.

517QLihurkL._AA160_.jpg

matthewpiano

Both are pianists I admire and both bring artistry to the music, but I find Kempff just too lesiurely, particularly in the opening movement which feels too stagnant. Backhaus, without rushing, brings more tension to the music and there is more of a feeling of direction. There is some very beautiful handling of the more melodic moments of the slow movement by both pianists, but for me Backhaus would be the preferred recording of these two. Probably my favourite recording of this sonata is Perahia's.

That Truls Mork set looks great. Tried to get tickets to see him at the Proms but it sold out quickly. Will see if we have that set in at work tomorrow.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Both are pianists I admire and both bring artistry to the music, but I find Kempff just too lesiurely, particularly in the opening movement which feels too stagnant. Backhaus, without rushing, brings more tension to the music and there is more of a feeling of direction. There is some very beautiful handling of the more melodic moments of the slow movement by both pianists, but for me Backhaus would be the preferred recording of these two. Probably my favourite recording of this sonata is Perahia's.

That Truls Mork set looks great. Tried to get tickets to see him at the Proms but it sold out quickly. Will see if we have that set in at work tomorrow.

Praise be to Spotify! They're all there.

The Kempff is very slow. The Backhaus and Perahia are both super, the latter particularly sprightly. I also listened to the Paul Lewis, which I have on disk: very fluid but lacking dynamism -- a problem I have with his whole series. I think I would follow you in preferring Perahia.

Matt

matthewpiano

Very much into the Beethoven Sonatas at present, and picked up a bargain £5.99 Double Decca today of Friedrich Gulda playing selected sonatas (its £17 on Amazon!). Some incredibly dynamic, engrossing playing here, and one of the most serene and almost prayerful 'Moonlight' first movements I've ever heard. Playing of extraordinary stature which I'm looking forward to getting to know more.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I must check out Gulda; must admit, one of the highlights of my listening last year was working through the entire Paul Lewis set on HM - maybe not to everybody's taste, but I find them absolutely captivating, and extremely well-recorded.

Currently enjoying the new Prokofiev Piano Concertos from Bavouzet on Chandos. I think they'll certainly replace Ashkenazy/Previn on my shelves. No. 2 is a special work for me, and it really has to be JUST right, especially the racking-up of tension in the cadenza leading to the re-entry of the orchestra. This version certainly gave me the prescribed goosebumps!

matthewpiano

Naxos said:
I must check out Gulda; must admit, one of the highlights of my listening last year was working through the entire Paul Lewis set on HM - maybe not to everybody's taste, but I find them absolutely captivating, and extremely well-recorded.

Currently enjoying the new Prokofiev Piano Concertos from Bavouzet on Chandos. I think they'll certainly replace Ashkenazy/Previn on my shelves. No. 2 is a special work for me, and it really has to be JUST right, especially the racking-up of tension in the cadenza leading to the re-entry of the orchestra. This version certainly gave me the prescribed goosebumps!

Like Lewis, but for entirely different reasons, Gulda is probably not to everyone's taste, but I'm thoroughly enjoying his Beethoven. His recordings aren't the easiest to get hold of but I'm determined to build my Gulda collection after this experience.

Regarding the Prokofiev, why does one have to replace the other? Why not keep both? The Ashkenazy accounts remain wonderful...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This week I have mostly been listening to Sir Granville Bantock.

Well, not really but it's a good line …

I won’t make a strong claim for Bantock's music as music. He seems pretty conventional to me: some Wagner (not the melodically interesting bits), some Elgar, some Vaughan Williams. But he is still a jolly good listen. One of the things I like about him is that his music isn’t pure music: it’s music that draws heavily on literature and art. It’s also very ‘exotic’.

There are fine recordings by Vernon Handley and the RPO. I've been listening to Thalaba the Destroyer, the Pagan Symphony, and The Cyprian Goddess:

51GjUI0RNBL._AA160_.jpg

61fvjnodLLL._AA160_.jpg

51mCJan5KwL._AA160_.jpg

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Vaughan Williams. A Sea Symphony (Haitink on EMI) and now Sy6mphony No. 3 (a BBC Music magazine disc - a 1960s recording by the BBC SO). And yesterday, a Naxos disc of VW chamber music performed by the London Soloists Ensemble.

Made me think I would like to try out some alternative interpretations of his symphonies in particular. Is there a VW symphonies cycle you would particularly recommend, or failing that, a performance of an individual symphony that particularly stands out?

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
James7 said:
Vaughan Williams. A Sea Symphony (Haitink on EMI) and now Sy6mphony No. 3 (a BBC Music magazine disc - a 1960s recording by the BBC SO). And yesterday, a Naxos disc of VW chamber music performed by the London Soloists Ensemble.

Made me think I would like to try out some alternative interpretations of his symphonies in particular. Is there a VW symphonies cycle you would particularly recommend, or failing that, a performance of an individual symphony that particularly stands out?

Vaughan Williams has to be one of my favourite composers. I grew up with the EMI Boult set and love it still. I also have Haitink, who really makes you think about different ways the symphonies can be interpreted (and that opening of the Sea Symphony just takes your breath away!). However, as in so much other British repertoire, it's Handley who I feel gives (for me) the best overall account of the symphonies - and at a bargain price as well. Desert-island stuff for me! *yahoo*

matthewpiano

A live recording from 1951 of Furtwangler conducting the Vienna Phil in Bruckner 4, issue as part of Tahra's Furtwangler In Memoriam set back in 2004, 50 years after his death. Worth listening through the aged sound for a really passionate interpretation and some super playing by the VPO.

Just before listening to this we re-watched the film 'Taking Sides', following Furtwangler's experience of the de-Nazification of Germany.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Tonight, Book II of the Debussy preludes in a recording by the Hungarian pianist Livia Rev (Saga Records). There are of course more famous recordings by stellar names, but I've always returned to hers. I think she has an almost magical way with this music; an ability to transport me to Debussy's sound-world. Her Debussy recordings were well regarded a few years ago but I don't know if they are still available?

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Naxos said:
James7 said:

Vaughan Williams has to be one of my favourite composers. I grew up with the EMI Boult set and love it still. I also have Haitink, who really makes you think about different ways the symphonies can be interpreted (and that opening of the Sea Symphony just takes your breath away!). However, as in so much other British repertoire, it's Handley who I feel gives (for me) the best overall account of the symphonies - and at a bargain price as well. Desert-island stuff for me! *yahoo*

I think VW is very well served on record - in addition to Tod Handley's cycle and the Boult and Haitink sets mentioned above, I have the Andrew Davis/BBCSO box on Warner Classics, which includes Job, Lark Ascending, Tallis variations and The Wasps, captured in spacious 1990's recordings. Another favourite set from childhood was the Previn/LSO (RCA), though I've lost these somewhere along the line. If I had to pick just one entire set, I think I'd give the nod to Tod...

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Webern said:
Naxos said:
James7 said:

I think VW is very well served on record - in addition to Tod Handley's cycle and the Boult and Haitink sets mentioned above, I have the Andrew Davis/BBCSO box on Warner Classics, which includes Job, Lark Ascending, Tallis variations and The Wasps, captured in spacious 1990's recordings. Another favourite set from childhood was the Previn/LSO (RCA), though I've lost these somewhere along the line. If I had to pick just one entire set, I think I'd give the nod to Tod...

Agreed - I love Previn too. Haven't heard the Davis - must give it a go sometime. And then there's Hickox, of course - the "London" 'Director's Cut' was a revelation!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Currently listening to the new Walton 1 on Chandos with Gardner and the BBC SO - superb, and definitely worthy to be put up there with Previn, I reckon. About to try the coupled Violin Concerto with Tasmin Little.

Anyone heard anything of the new Dvorak Symphonies set with the Czech PO and Belohlavek yet? Thinking I might invest!

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Naxos said:
Webern said:
Naxos said:
James7 said:

Agreed - I love Previn too. Haven't heard the Davis - must give it a go sometime. And then there's Hickox, of course - the "London" 'Director's Cut' was a revelation!

Thanks all. Food for thought.

In the meantime I have gone ahead and ordered the Handley set. As Matthew noted, one definite positive that I can attest to without having yet received them is price - seven discs for under £20, and that's without checking out the used bargains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts