Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
That’s what Overscan is for – to eliminate noise from the edge of the screen which you may experience with SD broadcasts. If it cures the problem, use it.

Edit: Look on page 41 (or 2) of your manual.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Looking to jump in with one of these recommended sets. Just a couple of questions:

People are talking about running the tv in. Can I ask what is the recommended 'process' for this?

Also, can anyone recommend a suitable wall bracket for it, or is this a non-issue (I.e can use any one)?

PJ

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
The only reason I don't use it, is because it enlarges the screen slightly..! Saying that, nobody can determine if its a prob or not.. And at that price i do want a set that is clear of this.

Just to clarify, the problem only exists with standard definition material via the Freesat tuner?

When my GT50 is delivered I'll be using the Freesat tuner too (that's one of the reasons I bought the GT rather than ST, as Freeview reception is pretty awful where I live). I'll let you know how I get on.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yip, only with freesat slandered def channels. Strange huh? Can it be considered a fault..? When overscan is being used, the noise on the edge disappears!

michael hoy

I noticed before christmas some edge noise on my VT30, not seen it previously, it was not on every channel (Sky) but the odd one.

As previously stated, that is what the 16:9 overscan is for. When I go to this option in the TV menu, the text below tells you what it is used for.

I would not say your set is at fault.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Then it's certainly not an issue with screen uniformity.

I'm watching my V20 (via the Freesat tuner) and there are no issues with picture stability/uniformity on standard definition channels, whether picture overscan is on or off. My best guess is that it's related to the tuner. This is the second set you've noticed this on, right?

As I say, I'll have a look when mine is delivered on Wednesday and let you know if I notice the same picture anomaly.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I must say regardless of the lines on SD channels the set seems to be a gem! Blacks r so detailed it amazes me! It doesn't buzz, when it does its very faint!! I really have to strain to hear it. Saying that, still considering giving it back due to lines, can't get it out of my head even tho I rarely watch SD channels.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Mine has arrived today, can't really judge the picture yet as I have it in thx cinema picture mode with the contrast turned down low.

Isn't it worth putting the overscan on for sd channels, doesn't seem to zoom much, and if it solves the problem?

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Mine has arrived today, can't really judge the picture yet as I have it in thx cinema picture mode with the contrast turned down low.

Isn't it worth putting the overscan on for sd channels, doesn't seem to zoom much, and if it solves the problem?

BBB I am a bit confused why you just don't run it on normal factory settings and just enjoy the picture. You don't have to turn the contrast down on normal settings.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

BBB I am a bit confused why you just don't run it on normal factory settings and just enjoy the picture. You don't have to turn the contrast down on normal settings.

Over concern of screen burn gel. I will probably have it in thx cinema mode when it's all run in, as this is quite close to D65 according to another highly regarded web tv tester. I just thought if I turned the contrast downa touch, it would help too.

I can't actually turn the pixel orbiter on. It's on auto because I am watching Sky only, and I can only turn it on when I'm viewing tv from the internal tuners, and I can't do that because I have no aerial or extra satellite feed.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Over concern of screen burn gel. I will probably have it in thx cinema mode when it's all run in, as this is quite close to D65 according to another highly regarded web tv tester. I just thought if I turned the contrast downa touch, it would help too.

I can't actually turn the pixel orbiter on. It's on auto because I am watching Sky only, and I can only turn it on when I'm viewing tv from the internal tuners, and I can't do that because I have no aerial or extra satellite feed.

On normal factory settings the pixel orbiter is always on. That is the best way to avoid screen burn. Or that is my understanding.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've changed it to CINEMA, pixel orbiter is on then. Normal just looks a bit too bright to me,

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've changed it to CINEMA, pixel orbiter is on then. Normal just looks a bit too bright to me,

Ah okay then, I like it bright me.
smiley-smile.gif

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Do you hear any difference in buzz with light pictures?

must say that today I fixed my BD player and the PQ is top quality! I can really see what all the fuss is about!! This set is really really good!

do you all get such a big jump in PQ from sky HD to Bluray?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Wouldn't it be good to have just one thread for all GT50 related stuff.

Could WHF put them all in together?

Or should one of use start a new thread called THE PANASONIC GT50 CLUB or something.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:

must say that today I fixed my BD player and the PQ is top quality! I can really see what all the fuss is about!! This set is really really good!

do you all get such a big jump in PQ from sky HD to Bluray?

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet. Yep, Blu-ray is amazing. I like Sky HD too. I just think Blu-ray is good. Glad you are enjoying it now. Go through all your Blu-ray collection and enjoy.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nick_Shepherd said:
Hard to have one thread for so many topics.....we could have many threads but about 'buzzing' , ' picture issues' 'how good it is' etc...

I just think it would be easier to follow everything if it was all in one place, then any owners could keep an eye on that thread to help resolve problems of new and existing owners. There's at least 4 threads on GT50s, and I'm struggling to know what is being discussed in which one.
doh.gif

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
It can be hard to do as for example in this 'buzzing' thread were now talking about GT50 owners threads, PQ with Sky vs Bluray.... Threads change topic as the conversation moves on depending on replies.....

should have a GT 50'owners forum.....

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
Me too! Such a shame I hear the buzz with white.....

sky HD is better on my Sony, could then GT50 be doing anything to the detriment of the PQ?

Dont think so. What channels are you watching? How are you finding the motion? Are you getting really nice blacks against a bright screen?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Nick_Shepherd said:
It can be hard to do as for example in this 'buzzing' thread were now talking about GT50 owners threads, PQ with Sky vs Bluray.... Threads change topic as the conversation moves on depending on replies.....

should have a GT 50'owners forum.....

Maybe WHF can have a sub-section under TVs and Projectors for any GT50 threads?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Nick_Shepherd said:

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet.

I was trying to post all afternoon yesterday, but every time I logged in my security software advised me it had blocked malware. :?

Anyway, I digress...

Overall I'm pretty happy with the GT50. It would be nice if the THX preset had advanced calibration options, as the Professional presets have a luminance cap, but I knew this already. However, I felt colours were more accurate on the V20 (and the THX preset on the V20 allows 2 point greyscale and colour adjustment, while this isn't true of the GT50). Whichever preset I select on the GT50, images seem to have an excess of green and magenta. Obviously this is my verdict after watching the TV, as I've no equipment to measure colour accuracy.

The GT50 drags up a fair bit more detail than my V20. Black levels are pretty comparable (perhaps marginally darker on the GT50, but there's virtually nothing in it). And I've got a bigger screen, which was the main reason for upgrading.

The GT50 buzzes more than both Panasonic plasmas I previously owned. I can barely hear the buzz with dark images from 3m away, but ramp up the brightness and the buzz becomes more distracting. I'm hoping this settles down, as it's on the borderline of what I'd consider acceptable. The 50Hz bug is also still in evidence (I wish Panasonic would sort this out).

No issues so far in terms of screen uniformity and DSE (I've looked really hard). This last point, in my view, is crucial to any decision I make about keeping the TV. I've read so many stories about distracting vertical lines that it's a relief there are no such problems with my GT50. It would be a nightmare if I got a replacement due to buzzing, only to find the new set has prominent DSE.

As I say, I'm happy overall, with a few small caveats.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Nick_Shepherd said:

Yes on white screen I can hear it buzz but then it goes quiet.

I was trying to post all afternoon yesterday, but every time I logged in my security software advised me it had blocked malware. :?

Anyway, I digress...

Overall I'm pretty happy with the GT50. It would be nice if the THX preset had advanced calibration options, as the Professional presets have a luminance cap, but I knew this already. However, I felt colours were more accurate on the V20 (and the THX preset on the V20 allows 2 point greyscale and colour adjustment, while this isn't true of the GT50). Whichever preset I select on the GT50, images seem to have an excess of green and magenta. Obviously this is my verdict after watching the TV, as I've no equipment to measure colour accuracy.

The GT50 drags up a fair bit more detail than my V20. Black levels are pretty comparable (perhaps marginally darker on the GT50, but there's virtually nothing in it). And I've got a bigger screen, which was the main reason for upgrading.

The GT50 buzzes more than both Panasonic plasmas I previously owned. I can barely hear the buzz with dark images from 3m away, but ramp up the brightness and the buzz becomes more distracting. I'm hoping this settles down, as it's on the borderline of what I'd consider acceptable. The 50Hz bug is also still in evidence (I wish Panasonic would sort this out).

No issues so far in terms of screen uniformity and DSE (I've looked really hard). This last point, in my view, is crucial to any decision I make about keeping the TV. I've read so many stories about distracting vertical lines that it's a relief there are no such problems with my GT50. It would be a nightmare if I got a replacement due to buzzing, only to find the new set has prominent DSE.

As I say, I'm happy overall, with a few small caveats.

Sounds like you have got a noisy one, unfortunately. Keep us updated. To be honest it should be a big jump from your V20. WHF have commented on how much better it is to last years. And you say motion is not the best?

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi gel,

im watching all channels really....SD is better than older Sony, Sky HD has less detail, while bluray is remarkable hence wondering if my Sky HD is not quite right.....

strapped,

im struggling with the change in buzz from dark to light, it does annoy me although I am determined to be sure it can't be sorted before going fo the Sony (not least because I don't think I can get the 46 now I have had a 50, so would mean the 55 at extra cost)....

i may ask for an engineer in case I can change power supply or something.....the PQ with bluray is sooooo good and blacks / movement better than the older LCD......they must have a fix for it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts