Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
Hi gel,

im watching all channels really....SD is better than older Sony, Sky HD has less detail, while bluray is remarkable hence wondering if my Sky HD is not quite right.....

strapped,

im struggling with the change in buzz from dark to light, it does annoy me although I am determined to be sure it can't be sorted before going fo the Sony (not least because I don't think I can get the 46 now I have had a 50, so would mean the 55 at extra cost)....

i may ask for an engineer in case I can change power supply or something.....the PQ with bluray is sooooo good and blacks / movement better than the older LCD......they must have a fix for it?

Sounds like you have just got a noisy one. There are about three or four of us on here with quiet ones though. Depends what you want to do. Looks like you have seen how good it can get.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
So I have 20 days to either get used to the buzz and keep it, try an exchange and hope its not worse, or swap for an LCD.......

Downside of a swap: may end up with a worse set, and the merry go round begins!

Downside of keeping: buzz remains, I never get used to it, and regret keeping it

Downide of swap for LCD: it's £400 more, and may not quite be as good a picture?

hhhmmmmmmm......

To have a quiet GT50 would be perfect...

mickeyh

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I have had my 50GT50 for 2 months and I must be missing out , I have had no buzzing , no DSE , no geen blob , no image retention , no vertical lines , I am not saying it won't happen , I think people read to much into comments made and look for problems which are not there , it was awarded 5 stars. And voted best set at the 50 inch size , if all the issues above we're there I think it would have been pointed out , also I have my TV set to normal which has an excellent picture , don't complicate things with the complex settings , just enjoy the set and its picture at this moment you won't get better.

D

Deleted member 2457

mickeyh said:
I have had my 50GT50 for 2 months and I must be missing out , I have had no buzzing , no DSE , no geen blob , no image retention , no vertical lines , I am not saying it won't happen , I think people read to much into comments made and look for problems which are not there , it was awarded 5 stars. And voted best set at the 50 inch size , if all the issues above we're there I think it would have been pointed out , also I have my TV set to normal which has an excellent picture , don't complicate things with the complex settings , just enjoy the set and its picture at this moment you won't get better.

Spot on! Great advice.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mickeyh said:

+1

Ditto!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I agree that it's sensible to focus on the positives and not go looking for problems.

That said, it's clear that certain aspects of performance vary from set to set, including buzzing and DSE. And I wouldn't seek to downplay concerns some owners have expressed on this thread (and others). As Gel will tell you, performance isn't uniformly excellent across all GT50s, as he went through two replacements before getting it right. As I say, I'm wavering on whether to ask for a replacement myself, mainly because of buzzing that borders on the distracting.

I also want to ask other owners whether the picture on their GT50s looks a little noisy? I've read about mild enforced picture sharpening in a couple of technical reviews and I wonder if this is why images look a tad grainy with all content. This might also be because my panel is new and will calm down as the set beds in. Upscaling seems rather dodgy as well, but I guess SD images will always look ropey on a 50" screen.

I'm glad some owners are delighted with their GT50s and wish I felt the same way. At the moment I feel reasonably happy, if not blown away...

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well I for one wouldn’t accept a distracting, annoying, buzzing TV (I had these issues with a Brio-R amplifier, but that's another story).

As I’ve said elsewhere I can guarantee that the demo models instore don’t buzz, and I for one wouldn’t accept second best for what is supposed to be a “premium” set. You’re obviously not totally happy with it, it’s playing on your mind, so change it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Well I for one wouldn’t accept a distracting, annoying, buzzing TV (I had these issues with a Brio-R amplifier, but that's another story).

As I’ve said elsewhere I can guarantee that the demo models instore don’t buzz, and I for one wouldn’t accept second best for what is supposed to be a “premium” set. You’re obviously not totally happy with it, it’s playing on your mind, so change it.

You're probably right. I'm watching the football now and, for the first time, can see the dreaded dirty screen effect. However, it's mild and I'm not sure I'd have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it.

Likewise, the buzzing is borderline tolerable. I'm also scared to get on the merry-go-round of replacement models. A replacement (or indeed replacements) could have more problems than the set I have now.

I think the sensible course of action is to call John Lewis on Monday and explain that I'm happy to see if things improve as the TV beds in, as long as a replacement remains an option a little further down the line. Hopefully they'll think that's reasonable.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe the owners of the quiet sets are a bit deaf? (See what I did there, seeing as me and strapped must be mental!)

so, what room are the owners of quiet sets watching in? And what is the ambient noise like?

mine is in a second bedroom, so a very quiet room with little or no Ambient noise?

strapped?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd said:
Maybe the owners of the quiet sets are a bit deaf? (See what I did there, seeing as me and strapped must be mental!)

so, what room are the owners of quiet sets watching in? And what is the ambient noise like?

mine is in a second bedroom, so a very quiet room with little or no Ambient noise?

strapped?

Im not deaf and there is no buzzin on my GT50, even on a white screen with no ambient noise (same for my Brio R)

Im happy with the TV 100%

I have no IR or any other problems

These problems people are having are very few & far between - if it was me I would get a replacement set/s until I was happy.

D

Deleted member 2457

stevebrock said:
Nick_Shepherd said:

strapped?

Im not deaf and there is no buzzin on my GT50, even on a white screen with no ambient noise (same for my Brio R)

Im happy with the TV 100%

I have no IR or any other problems

These problems people are having are very few & far between - if it was me I would get a replacement set/s until I was happy.

Agreed.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Agree with you both.

itsbthe tv's not us (not that you said it was' that was the other fella)

maybe worth a mery go round then.......probably worth it as the PQ with BR is quality and I think I will enjoy the benefits of plasma....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
My GT50 is in the living room, though I'm not sure there's more ambient noise than in any other room.

I must confess I'm feeling a little disappointed overall. I think my V20 was a better performer in certain regards: no DSE, no obvious buzzing, better with SD (though that may be down to the smaller screen size). My V20 also produced brighter pictures. Images on the GT50 look a little like I'm watching through sunglasses (and that's not in 3D). If I turn the contrast up in search of a brighter picture then blacks crush and whites bloom.

I'm trying to recall how much the V20 improved once run in. Some of the concerns I have can perhaps be attributed to the TV being a little excitable while new.

As I said above, those that can find no issues with their GT50 shouldn't assume that others are imagining problems with theirs.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
A bit of sarcasm in the 'mental' commet ;)

maybe gel can do me a favour? Do you here a change in buzz from dark to light with the volume off? Just seeing if they all change buzz and maybe it's my sensitive hearing?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I edited my post above, as I didn't want to seem like I was having a go at you, Nick.

To be honest, most people are not denying that we're experiencing problems. Rather, they're suggesting we get replacement sets. I may well go down this route. I'd really like to shake off this feeling of being underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much of the GT50.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:

maybe gel can do me a favour? Do you here a change in buzz from dark to light with the volume off? Just seeing if they all change buzz and maybe it's my sensitive hearing?

The current one I have is really good with buzzing. I can hear a noise occasionally but it is not annoying or distracting. The first two I had did get on my nerves a bit though. But I knew that might be the case anyway, some plasmas do buzz more than others, the picture was always perfect, so the merry go round was worth it, and I knew I could find a quiet one and did.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Well, I edited my post above, as I didn't want to seem like I was having a go at you, Nick.

To be honest, most people are not denying that we're experiencing problems. Rather, they're suggesting we get replacement sets. I may well go down this route. I'd really like to shake off this feeling of being underwhelmed. Perhaps I was expecting too much of the GT50.

Are you getting a picture like in my YouTube videos?

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Nick_Shepherd said:

The current one I have is really good with buzzing. I can hear a noise occasionally but it is not annoying or distracting. The first two I had did get on my nerves a bit though. But I knew that might be the case anyway, some plasmas do buzz more than others, the picture was always perfect, so the merry go round was worth it, and I knew I could find a quiet one and did. I have seen about seven plasmas now and know what too expect, and as TVs goes this is the best.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I also noticed the dreaded DSE during the earlier football, I wasn't looking for it at all, but I did notice vertical bands about 10 inches in from the right hand side. It was a little distracting, but I didn't see the later game, so I can't say if it's still there.

I read somewhere that when you raise the contrast level, this reduces, if not removes the problem, though I 100% don't want to do that until the tv is fully run in.

I noticed earlier on this thread that someone wasn't entirely happy with SD pictures,can I suggest that you lower the sharpness to about 25%, this improved images for me.

I've also changed the Colour Balance to Cool, this looks better to me also, as I thought I could see a green tinge to certain images with it set to Normal.

I'm working away from Monday to Friday for the next few months on and off, so unless the tv takes a turn for the worse, I won't be changing it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:

Are you getting a picture like in my YouTube videos?

To be honest, it's difficult to tell. I just watched Earth's Orbit on BBC HD and it's the first time I grinned looking at the picture. However, just an hour earlier I was annoyed by mild DSE.

I think the aforementioned plan is the way to go. I'm happy to give the TV a chance to bed in, on the understanding that, if my niggles don't go away, I can get a replacement. I'll have a chat with John Lewis on Monday.

I probably need to watch a few more Blu-rays rather than judging the TV when fed ropey TV broadcasts.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi reading about this dse effect i also get this down the right hand side of my gt30 a faint band been wondering what it is but only get it when watching football so obviously its a common problem with panasonic plasmas and not just on the gt50

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The DSE was still there when I watched the football highlights last night, it's noticeable, a little distracting, but I can't work out why it's only on football, and always in the same place on the right hand side of the screen.
confused.gif

I'm going to watch some cricket and rugby, and see if anything is there then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts