The wisdom (or not) of buying used receivers ?

sx680

Sep 28, 2023
Visit site
I recently got the hi-fi bug again. I have a lot of vinyl, digital music on several iPods, and a lot of CDs and was no longer happy with an old boombox so I decided to look for components. I found a nice Sony STR-DN1050 and matching CD player and Infinity RS1 speakers that sounded great for a reasonable price. After about a week of listening the receiver started to cut out.... the sound just quits. It usually comes back on in a few seconds. There is sometimes an audible squeal in the speakers when this happens. Lately it's happening more often, and takes longer to re-set. Very annoying.

I've researched new stereo receivers and I was surprised at what you can buy new for < $500. Even $399 will buy you a new Denon DRA-800H with 100 watts x 2 . It also has hookup for 4 speakers, USB in front for playing my iPods, and front Balance, Bass, Treble controls. Some Yamahas and Sony stereo receivers are even less than $200 but may not have a USB or 4 speaker capacity. So before I pay another $50-100 for a used 5.1 channel A/V receiver that''s 5-10 years old I'm questioning the economics of buying used receivers. This is not the first time I have purchased used equipment, but it's the first time my purchase has given trouble so soon.

Thoughts ? Opinions ? Experiences ?

About myself: I really really enjoy my music..... classic rock from the 70s, but I also enjoy some orchestra (classical) as well as pop (Linda Ronstadt) and older country western. I'm not an audiophile yet, but I would like as much clarity and definition in my system as I can afford. Right now I have some KLH Albany speakers and they sound better than my JBL E30s but not as much bass. I would love some B and W bookshelf speakers but $700-$900 is not in the budget right now... maybe a Black Friday sale ??? Is there a speaker that is almost as good as the B+W for less money ? Let's say I have a budget of $1,000 . If I spend $400 on the Denon stereo Rx , that leaves $600 for speakers. What would be the best bookshelf speakers for $600 or less (I'm old school and it's OK if I don't spend the whole amount). My listening room is 14' x 14 so even 50 watts/channel would probably suffice as long as it can drive a good pair of speakers. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Last edited:

sx680

Sep 28, 2023
Visit site
Sorry for any confusion. Any new purchase would be stereo as the main consideration. We already have a dedicated A/V for the TV.

We recently moved to Southwest Florida between Tampa and Fort Myers. I will do a search but currently not aware of retailers where I can hear different speakers of interest.

AJM1981

I recently got the hi-fi bug again. I have a lot of vinyl, digital music on several iPods, and a lot of CDs and was no longer happy with an old boombox so I decided to look for components. I found a nice Sony STR-DN1050 and matching CD player and Infinity RS1 speakers that sounded great for a reasonable price. After about a week of listening the receiver started to cut out.... the sound just quits. It usually comes back on in a few seconds. There is sometimes an audible squeal in the speakers when this happens. Lately it's happening more often, and takes longer to re-set. Very annoying.

I've researched new stereo receivers and I was surprised at what you can buy new for < $500. Even $399 will buy you a new Denon DRA-800H with 100 watts x 2 . It also has hookup for 4 speakers, USB in front for playing my iPods, and front Balance, Bass, Treble controls. Some Yamahas and Sony stereo receivers are even less than $200 but may not have a USB or 4 speaker capacity. So before I pay another $50-100 for a used 5.1 channel A/V receiver that''s 5-10 years old I'm questioning the economics of buying used receivers. This is not the first time I have purchased used equipment, but it's the first time my purchase has given trouble so soon.

About myself: I really really enjoy my music..... classic rock from the 70s, but I also enjoy some orchestra (classical) as well as pop (Linda Ronstadt) and older country western. I'm not an audiophile yet, but I would like as much clarity and definition in my system as I can afford. Right now I have some KLH Albany speakers and they sound better than my JBL E30s but not as much bass. I would love some B and W bookshelf speakers but $700-$900 is not in the budget right now... maybe a Black Friday sale ??? Is there a speaker that is almost as good as the B+W for less money ? Let's say I have a budget of $1,000 . If I spend $400 on the Denon stereo Rx , that leaves $600 for speakers. What would be the best bookshelf speakers for $600 or less (I'm old school and it's OK if I don't spend the whole amount). My listening room is 14' x 14 so even 50 watts/channel would probably suffice as long as it can drive a good pair of speakers. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I don't have much trouble with second hand gear. It all depends a bit on what my wishes are in options and if that aligns. After that comes the state of the product. If it has been handled with care it is a bit of feeling if the price is right given the market value of it.

But given that you mentioned what it "doesn't" have. Take a look at the Arylic product range and its features. Those amps are seriously good in quality and low cost around your given price. I got one for one of my setups and knowing that a product like the A50+ has about everything (built in streamer, bluetooth, optical, (and offcourse rca), sub-out. Optional is its ACP workbench to apply room correction and set the crossover points between sub and loudspeakers.

Here is a review of the A50. (the A50+ is the same, but also has a sub out)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MArw0djIXAI

The market value of a random "classic" (loaded with rca connections) amp is almost a no go compared to that. I only have bought one classic pioneer amp from the late 70s as a hobby project. Made as new again optically and internally. But given what I wrote I fully understand that the value of amps in general apart from the few almost-museum-pieces like old time Quad, McIntosh and some really specific types is dropping.

Last edited:
Reactions: landco

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
buying av receivers makes a lot of sense especially from the last 15 years. Most have very little use and have alll the digital connectivity you can shake a stick at. And have been put out to pasture because there hdmi specs are not up to date.

Look out for arcam, Yamaha, pioneer, marantz , antham, rotel. all should fall well with in budget

Speaker wise tannoy have a lovely full sound maybe some old 6s, older missions 782 783 make sure they have had the driver recall done on them, even some older b&w 602 /603, prehaps some nice kef iq50s very nice little floorstanders around 200 quid here in the uk all day long

But as with anything second hand you don’t know there history so would still try and listen to them if you can.

I’d probably buy preowned from a hifi store for extra confidence and they will usually come with a small warranty and the pieces are really checked over

matthewpianist

Denon and Mission make an excellent combination, and I can wholeheartedly recommend the QX series. If you don't need AV and streaming functions I would suggest a Denon integrated, even the entry-level PMA600NE is capable of surprisingly good performance. The CEOL compact systems challenge this for performance, but I don't think it's the right match to your needs.

Yamaha have made some excellent stereo receivers which you should be able to pick up on the used market for very good prices. They're well built and will drive just about anything, so well worthy of consideration. Again, if you don't need all the functionality, the A-S500 integrated is an excellent option.

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
Denon and Mission make an excellent combination, and I can wholeheartedly recommend the QX series. If you don't need AV and streaming functions I would suggest a Denon integrated, even the entry-level PMA600NE is capable of surprisingly good performance. The CEOL compact systems challenge this for performance, but I don't think it's the right match to your needs.

Yamaha have made some excellent stereo receivers which you should be able to pick up on the used market for very good prices. They're well built and will drive just about anything, so well worthy of consideration. Again, if you don't need all the functionality, the A-S500 integrated is an excellent option.
I can concur with MP on the Denon/Mission combo, as my current setup includes Denon DRA-455 AM/FM receiver and Mission 750 LE speakers. Sound fine to me.

Given that the Denon was bought 2001, and the Missions in 1999, I'd say kit from that era can still be reliable.

The mention of "bookshelf" speakers bring the usual recommendation that the use of decent stands will bring considerable improvements, compared to plonking them on a shelf.

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Look out for arcam, Yamaha, pioneer, marantz , antham, rotel. all should fall well with in budget
I would advise you to pay attention only to 1st echelon manufacturers - Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo. All other manufacturers charge more money for the same functionality, and the functions themselves, for example, the calibration system, may be worse (for example, the calibration in the arcam or anthem is poorly done)

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
If you're buying an AV receiver, you're typically buying an all-in-one multimedia package that does much more than any stereo amplifier. This is an advantage. In particular, the big advantage of a typical multi-channel receiver over a traditional stereo is the presence of a room calibration system.

If you're buying an AV receiver, you're typically buying an all-in-one multimedia package that does much more than any stereo amplifier. This is an advantage. In particular, the big advantage of a typical multi-channel receiver over a traditional stereo is the presence of a room calibration system.
That room calibration isnt much use if you're only using two speakers......

Reactions: Stuart83

Geoff P.

Mar 29, 2022
Visit site
I love these post. stand back and laugh at those who respond.
You are quite right CC - some of these threads on the Forum turn into Chinese Whispers ! I put it down to people reading only the last post of any thread before responding.
This OP made it quite clear with their second post that they were talking about stereo receivers, but still we ended up with AV, room calibration and who knows what else !
Read from the start, people - if you want to contribute something helpful. ( or start another thread to get onto your favourite subject ! ).

Reactions: camcroft

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
You are quite right CC - some of these threads on the Forum turn into Chinese Whispers ! I put it down to people reading only the last post of any thread before responding.
This OP made it quite clear with their second post that they were talking about stereo receivers, but still we ended up with AV, room calibration and who knows what else !
Read from the start, people - if you want to contribute something helpful. ( or start another thread to get onto your favourite subject ! ).
Sometimes it's good to discover something new.

abacus

I would advise you to pay attention only to 1st echelon manufacturers - Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo. All other manufacturers charge more money for the same functionality, and the functions themselves, for example, the calibration system, may be worse (for example, the calibration in the arcam or anthem is poorly done)
The Arcam and Anthem systems are more comprehensive than the mainstream, and thus give better results, this is why Denon, Marantz, Pioneer etc. include it as an option for those that want to go the extra mile.

Bill

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
The Arcam and Anthem systems are more comprehensive than the mainstream, and thus give better results, this is why Denon, Marantz, Pioneer etc. include it as an option for those that want to go the extra mile.

Bill
I don’t know where you get your information from, I get my information from the stories of a professional installer who installs home theaters. According to him, receivers Antem and Arkam have problems with the calibration system, glitches and bugs.

abacus

I don’t know where you get your information from, I get my information from the stories of a professional installer who installs home theaters. According to him, receivers Antem and Arkam have problems with the calibration system, glitches and bugs.
Early ones did yes, but just like any software-based system, updates have solved the problems as well as adding new features. (3rd party target curves are also available for Dirac)
Yes, you have to put the work in, and it takes time, but once done the integration of the speakers into the room is subline. (The Anthem is the easier of the 2 as it comes with everything necessary, whereas with Dirac (Which comes in 3 flavours) really needs a pro calibration mike and a good understanding of the software to get the best out of it)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts