Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Peep's.

My 50GT50 is just over a week old. From the outset there has been a buzzing noise... Which goes after a few minutes. I have noticed on a bright screen it happens more often... The noise lasts maybe 5 min or less. Is there a problemo with my set..? Should i be returning this? apart from this issue if it is an issue...I have no other.

As usual, any replies/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I presume we are talking abt plasma here. Its normal. I had LED before and when I moved to plasma I picked up on the buzzing from day 1 and I was so bothered. The brighter the image the louder the buzzing. Its more louder if yo TV is hanging on the wall and u will hear it more if u sit close to the corner. Give it time and it wont bother u anymore

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Yip, Plasma. The noise isn't consistant, it goes after few min or so. But every so often it gets loud. I just dont want it to become a bigger issue down the line. Saying that, you have put my mind to ease.

Thanks.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
A number of people here and elsewhere report buzzing from their plasma TVs, and a good number of people don’t (most mentions of this usually seem to refer to Panasonic sets).

Mine is 9 months old and has never buzzed once. Put the sound on mute and you have to strain to hear even the gentle whirring of the fan, and if it was my TV then I would be looking to have it replaced. If you bought it in-store then I would ask for any replacement to be unboxed and set-up before you take it away to ensure that you haven’t got second set with the same problem (this has happened to other people), and if you demoed before you bought it I bet I can guarantee that that one didn't buzz.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
As many people know already I had this same issue with one of the GT30s I had and according to Panasonic the buzzing is only deemed a fault if when listening to the tv through the tvs speakers you can still hear it when the volume is set to 1/3rd of maximum, my GT30 was still buzzing at that volume and so it went back.

As a rule most plasmas will buzz to some extent but some are worse than others and as Sizzers points out most instances can attributed to Panasonic tvs, I was reliably informed by an engineer that it's the power that's the issue...I can't remember the specifics but I think I remember him saying something about the transformer and something else as the main causes.

If the buzzing is loud and it's distracting then get it replaced but if you were worried about it causing an issue further down the line then I don't think you need to worry as it's quite a common issue and doesn'y normally indicate an issue with the tv.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response guy's. The set isn't buzzing any longer....When it happens it only last's a few minutes, has confused me even more..Lol. It isnt loud so im thinking of just ignoring it. I have the option of repacing it as i bought it from JL. I just can't be asked to go throught he run in period all over again. once the run in period of 200 hours been done. is it then koolio to watch what ever i wish no matter how long? or do i still need to be watchful...mind the punt. can somebody also help with setting picture up...

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I now seem to have developed a new problemo with my 50GT50. yesterday i had taken the wire running from the sat Dish to the TV..... Out. I then put it back in and all seemed normal. Until today. There seems to be an inch thick blurry line either side of the screen... It appears on some channels..Is this reception problemo, or TV fault...Please advise.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a reception problem,have you checked the connections?

For picture calibration it realy is worth getting it done profesionaly as a calibration is tailered to your viewing enviroment.I have a guy in mind,he is THX registered and it will cost just£225... :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying GSB. It's seems like it there even when im watching Blu-Ray Dvd. So im going to assume it isnt reception... This has really annoyed me, as i was hoping to enjoy the set during the Xmas break. Iv had it on 10 hours straight for the last week or so....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For me to have a new set during the holiday, i will have to take set back myself to JL...Further hussel. Who do u have in mind..?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
I now seem to have developed a new problemo with my 50GT50. yesterday i had taken the wire running from the sat Dish to the TV..... Out. I then put it back in and all seemed normal. Until today. There seems to be an inch thick blurry line either side of the screen... It appears on some channels..Is this reception problemo, or TV fault...Please advise.

This might be the dirty screen effect that's afflicted 2012 Panasonic plasmas. As I've been contemplating buying one myself, I've read quite a few threads elsewhere on this issue. Some owners report that the problem takes a while to manifest, or was faintly visible when the TV was new, but became more prominent over time.

If you go into the software update screen, the dirty screen effect should be more visible, if that's what the problem is. A quick view of Match of the Day should also show this up during fast pans with solid blocks of colour (the green of the football pitch).

Have a look at these videos for comparative purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEZP0oz1uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aFr4XdQsHY

Let us know how you get on.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If the shadowing is present even with dvd films i would get an enginneer to take a look to be honest,if it is a fault then there's no point in keeping the set.If there's no fault then at least you'll have piece oif mind. :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guy's.

I have just spent the last hour and a half with my brother checking the Set. We went through all sources. With BR film's/Normal DVD'S,freesat and HD channels there isn't any issue. BUT, with normal terrestrial channels none HD channels the noisy blurry lines appear. is this an issue, or does it sound like a recption problem when it comes to none HD channels.

P.s. Im confused.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
civilian said:
With BR film's/Normal DVD'S,freesat and HD channels there isn't any issue. BUT, with normal terrestrial channels none HD channels the noisy blurry lines appear. is this an issue, or does it sound like a recption problem when it comes to none HD channels.

So are you saying that with freesat SD it's fine, but with with "normal terrestial" it's fine? (I take normal terrestial to mean via Freeview).

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I think I confused myself hence explaining wrong. I get that noisy/blurry faint line With freesat SD material only. Blu-ray/DVD/ hd channels on sky /freesat HD channels are all good.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Do you not have a rooftop aerial to compare it with Freeview? (or an indoor aerial depending upon reception|.

Seems a bit strange it’s only occurring on SD channels though,and not HD, but there’s obviously a reason. Seriously hope it’s just a reception issue.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Nai haven't got a roof aerial. I'll purchase an indoor one tomorrow. Agreed, very strange. I'm naive when it comes to TVs, I was hoping one of you guys could have an answer..! Would you still replace the set..? I'm free of all other issues, don't want to get a new set that has different faults that could be considered worse..!

Thanks for the replies Siz

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea why you should be experiencing this problem with SD channels and not HD ones, and hopefully finer minds than mine will have other suggestions.

Logic would suggest it’s not a reception/dish issue but I could be completely wrong of course. In the absence of any other possible cause and if you don’t rule this out, if you return the TV and there are no issues when they hook it up to test it then they’re obviously not going to change it.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have ended asking for a new replacement. Was easier enought. I was told my 28 days of refund restarts which is a bounus. BUT, i later went on to JL website and saw that the set has been pushed down to £999... I purchased it for £1200...Would they give the £200 back...as i can easly give it back and get a refund and then re-buy.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
I later went on to JL website and saw that the set has been pushed down to £999... I purchased it for £1200...Would they give the £200 back...as i can easly give it back and get a refund and then re-buy.

It's definitely worth asking. Hope you can get that sorted...

I've been waiting for local and reliable retailer to sell the 50GT50 for less than £1000. Order placed as Christmas present to myself. And on that note, merry Christmas one and all!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
civilian said:
I later went on to JL website and saw that the set has been pushed down to £999... I purchased it for £1200...Would they give the £200 back...as i can easly give it back and get a refund and then re-buy.

I've been waiting for local and reliable retailer to sell the 50GT50 for less than £1000. Order placed as Christmas present to myself. And on that note, merry Christmas one and all!

Ah nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
Congrats on getting a brilliant TV at a brilliant price. Definitely have purchased one of the best. Awesome purchase, it oozes quality. Sounds good too.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well I would request and obtain the refund first, then re-buy the TV afterwards.

Some may consider it sharp practice and it’s a shame that this is being done through such a reputable retailer as John Lewis, so personally I would probably leave it at least a day so as not to make it look too obvious! (unless you’re buying online, of course).

However, I would just love to do this to Currys – take the refund in one hand and literally give it them back in the other less £200 to buy exactly the same TV. :cheer:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
civilian said:

Ah nice one!
smiley-smile.gif
Congrats on getting a brilliant TV at a brilliant price. Definitely have purchased one of the best. Awesome purchase, it oozes quality. Sounds good too.

I'm really looking forward to giving it a thorough test at home, without shop lighting washing out the picture.

At the same time, I'm anxious that I'll get a set with DSE and/or buzzing. The fact that I bought from JL helps, but I could do without the hassle of returns and replacements. Hopefully all will be good. I'll find out on December 31st.

Overall it seemed the right time to buy. With the free 5 year warranty and 2 x 3D glasses via Panasonic's redemption offer, it's about as good a deal as I could have hoped for. I'll hang on to my V20 until I'm sure I'm happy with the G50, though.

Have a good Christmas mate!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
strapped for cash said:
civilian said:

Ah nice one!
smiley-smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to giving it a thorough test at home, without shop lighting washing out the picture.

At the same time, I'm anxious that I'll get a set with DSE and/or buzzing. The fact that I bought from JL helps, but I could do without the hassle of returns and replacements. Hopefully all will be good. I'll find out on December 31st.

Overall it seemed the right time to buy. With the free 5 year warranty and 2 x 3D glasses via Panasonic's redemption offer, it's about as good a deal as I could have hoped for. I'll hang on to my V20 until I'm sure I'm happy with the G50, though.

Have a good Christmas mate!

:cheers: Have a good Xmas too!

I think you have nailed it! As soon as you put it on at home, it is wow! You 're going to love the blacks! Can't wait to hear on the 31st how you are getting on. Talk soon.

:cheers:

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
I also saw the GT50 at £999 and that was enough to end the battle between the GT50 and Sony HX853..........due on Saturday........

also hoping for a problem free set......

Has anyone posted their settings?

jingle bells jingle bells.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts