Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Yep, got it, I had that on my first one, just get it replaced. Second and third one were fine.

Thanks Gel.

I'm still willing to let the TV bed in for a while to see if things improve. I'll call John Lewis tomorrow and explain the situation. As long as they're happy to offer a replacement in a few weeks if things don't improve, I'll consider that perfectly reasonable.

I'll probably do the same, but it's going to be so awkward with me working away.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to finally have someone tell that what I have isn't DSE and more reception/broadcast issue. It amazes me for a premium set.. There are a lot of problems with it in general going by how threads there are.. Is this normal? £1000 to £1200 is a lot of money, surly this shouldn't happen..!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Yep, got it, I had that on my first one, just get it replaced. Second and third one were fine.

Thanks Gel.

I'm still willing to let the TV bed in for a while to see if things improve. I'll call John Lewis tomorrow and explain the situation. As long as they're happy to offer a replacement in a few weeks if things don't improve, I'll consider that perfectly reasonable.

I'll probably do the same, but it's going to be so awkward with me working away.

Presumably John Lewis would be accommodating. The TV will have had even more time to bed in, so you'll have a clear sense of whether any issues are temporary.

I'll switch off the computer for a while now, as I'm getting post fatigue. Others are probably tiring of my incessant commentary on GT50 issues, too...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
I'm glad to finally have someone tell that what I have isn't DSE and more reception/broadcast issue. It amazes me for a premium set.. There are a lot of problems with it in general going by how threads there are.. Is this normal? £1000 to £1200 is a lot of money, surly this shouldn't happen..!

One last post before signing off. This has nothing to do with the price of the TV. It's in the broadcast and any television displaying images correctly with no overscan will be the same. The fact that it's a larger screen will make the issue more noticeable, though.

In other words, it sounds like everything's fine.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Wo hoooo! Music to my ears. I'm sure nobody is getting tired of any post..! Part of the enjoyment is getting on a forum like this and expressing your excitement on a set. And as most on this are gt50 owners. It's actually comforting knowing you can get on and get help if there is an issue! Enuff luv!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I had a chat with John Lewis today and they advised that I can see how things go for a few weeks. If the problems don't improve they'll send a replacement.

They also logged my concerns on their system and gave me a reference number. I have to say, the standard of customer service is excellent and it was good to explain the issues to someone that understood what I was talking about and was perfectly friendly and reasonable. I'm glad I bought from John Lewis.

To be honest I was confident this would be their position, but it's good to get confirmation and the reference. As the TV gradually beds in, the picture is getting better and better. If only it was free of the problems discussed above I'd be delighted...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Well, I had a chat with John Lewis today and they advised that I can see how things go for a few weeks. If the problems don't improve they'll send a replacement.

They also logged my concerns on their system and gave me a reference number. I have to say, the standard of customer service is excellent and it was good to explain the issues to someone that understood what I was talking about and was perfectly friendly and reasonable. I'm glad I bought from John Lewis.

To be honest I was confident this would be their position, but it's good to get confirmation and the reference. As the TV gradually beds in, the picture is getting better and better. If only it was free of the problems discussed above I'd be delighted...

Good news.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
Going to change mine. I'm pretty sure that the buzz I get from the screen when mid and bright is normal, and maybe as I have only ever had LCD I'm hear it more, but to be honest, I also can't believe that the happy owners can't hear this buzz so maybe I do have the louder end of normal.....

i'll have one swap I think and if no good it's back to LCD.......

D

Deleted member 2457

Nick_Shepherd said:
Going to change mine. I'm pretty sure that the buzz I get from the screen when mid and bright is normal, and maybe as I have only ever had LCD I'm hear it more, but to be honest, I also can't believe that the happy owners can't hear this buzz so maybe I do have the louder end of normal.....

i'll have one swap I think and if no good it's back to LCD.......

Good luck! Hopefully you will get a quiet one.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Been following this thread and others on the GT50 with interest.

I've had my GT50 for a week now and unfortunately, I'm still not happy. The main issue is that it really struggles with motion but I've not read anyone else having the same problem. i've tried the Intelligent Frame Creation on max (smoth-ish motion but football games still judder in places which is annoying) and off completely, but then I get smearing, blurry motion everywhere. How anyone else seen motion smearing / ghosting on "normal" BBC HD, e.g. Call the Midwife, cycling slowly down a street? I would expect none so that's why I think I've got a dud.

The motion handling is so bad that after watching TV for an hour today, I've actually got a headache!!! Combined with some buzzing with a predominently white screen (Channel 4HD) it's really frustrating.

However, I'm so glad I bought from John Lewis as a quick phone call to explain has resulted in them organsing a replacement TV today.

D

Deleted member 2457

ianr23gp said:
Been following this thread and others on the GT50 with interest.

I've had my GT50 for a week now and unfortunately, I'm still not happy. The main issue is that it really struggles with motion but I've not read anyone else having the same problem. i've tried the Intelligent Frame Creation on max (smoth-ish motion but football games still judder in places which is annoying) and off completely, but then I get smearing, blurry motion everywhere. How anyone else seen motion smearing / ghosting on "normal" BBC HD, e.g. Call the Midwife, cycling slowly down a street? I would expect none so that's why I think I've got a dud.

The motion handling is so bad that after watching TV for an hour today, I've actually got a headache!!! Combined with some buzzing with a predominently white screen (Channel 4HD) it's really frustrating.

However, I'm so glad I bought from John Lewis as a quick phone call to explain has resulted in them organsing a replacement TV today.

It sounds like a dud, hope you get a good one this time. Motion is excellent on mine.

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Gel, so do I but with limited stocks it might be touch and go to get a decent set. At least John Lewis won't quibble a full refund if the set doesn't perform.

D

Deleted member 2457

ianr23gp said:
Thanks Gel, so do I but with limited stocks it might be touch and go to get a decent set. At least John Lewis won't quibble a full refund if the set doesn't perform.

I had three sets with John Lewis no problem at all because of buzzing. All three were excellent with motion though. I would imagine you can get a good one, on the John Lewis website 22 people have now reviewed with basically all 5 stars.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
With Pana releasing new sets this year, is there any point in giving my gt50 back and waiting for the new sets? Or we'll there not be any considerable difference!..?

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That's true shep! I haven't really seen my set in action as its in run in mode! But from the glimpses I have had, FANTASTIC!!! The detail in the blacks make me thnk why I ever considered an LCD..!

ianr23gp

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
I also checked the John Lewis website and most people are extremely happy with their set. Only 1 person mentioned any issue with motion so we must have both been unlucky.

John Lewis have really been excellent and I got a follow up call yesterday to say the replacement is being processed and there's lots of stock so not to worry.

Just found out someone I work with has bought the GT50 and been enjoying superb movies over Christmas... all a bit frustrating but I'm determined to get a good one. At the price it's a steal and will keep me going until 4k becomes the norm and there's more content to make it worth the upgrade.

Hope others keep enjoying their GT50s & they remain problem free :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My 200 hours of run in time are almost up!!! Feels like years, as its my second set. Once the 200 hours are up, is it then okay to calibrate the set..? During to watch it!!!!

TRENDING THREADS