Week old 50GT50 Buzzing..!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The DSE was still there when I watched the football highlights last night, it's noticeable, a little distracting, but I can't work out why it's only on football, and always in the same place on the right hand side of the screen.
confused.gif

I'm going to watch some cricket and rugby, and see if anything is there then.

Are you saying you are seeing a line down the screen? To the right of it? And you only see it on football?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yeah, just with football, about 12 inches in from the right. Not a line as such, but a vertical darker/lighter banding, otherwise, the picture's great.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yeah, just with football, about 12 inches in from the right. Not a line as such, but a vertical darker/lighter banding, otherwise, the picture's great.

I would probably get it changed, because you are going to be watching a lot of football.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I would probably get it changed, because you are going to be watching a lot of football.

Have you definitely not got this gel?

I'm sticking with it for now for several reasons. I'm working away from tomorrow, so I don't want my wife to have to deal with it while I'm away. I've read that it lessons with higher contrast levels, so after the run in period, I will increase the contrast. Of course, if it's still distracting in a few months, I'll get it dealt with, but for now, it's not overly annoying, so I can deal with it.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Have you definitely not got this gel?

I'm sticking with it for now for several reasons. I'm working away from tomorrow, so I don't want my wife to have to deal with it while I'm away. I've read that it lessons with higher contrast levels, so after the run in period, I will increase the contrast. Of course, if it's still distracting in a few months, I'll get it dealt with, but for now, it's not overly annoying, so I can deal with it.

Not on this one, no. What I did have on the first one was a line going down the screen on football and that was on the right hand side, but I just presumed this was image retention from the Sky Sports new channel. So I now never leave it on that channel for long or change the picture settings. Second and third one are fine.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I'm going to keep my set regardless of the half an inch noise lines (only) SD channels. All other content is superb and that's just with factory settings. The set doesn't buzz like my last one. Blacks look really detailed. I don't want other issues by returning it for the sake of a slight issue. More so when I don't watch SD channels.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

civilian said:
Hi guys. I'm going to keep my set regardless of the half an inch noise lines (only) SD channels. All other content is superb and that's just with factory settings. The set doesn't buzz like my last one. Blacks look really detailed. I don't want other issues by returning it for the sake of a slight issue. More so when I don't watch SD channels.

Have you tried the overscan feature?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel

Sounds like the same thing to me, and if your new set doesn't have the same issue, I will have to look at it in a few months if the increased contrast doesn't reduce or remove it.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel

Sounds like the same thing to me, and if your new set doesn't have the same issue, I will have to look at it in a few months if the increased contrast doesn't reduce or remove it.

If I was you I would change it now, John Lewis can get funny after the first month.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Now I've noticed the DSE while watching football, I can see it on more content.

BBB, just to clarify, you have just one darker line toward the right of the screen?

I can see several thin, lighter lines on the right of the screen that only appear with solid blocks of colour. When I can see them they're not glaringly obvious. However, my eyes are often drawn to right of the screen to check if they're there. I've done a lot of reading and quite a few owners report that they have gone through a number of sets, hoping to get a good one, and found that each replacement has noticeable DSE, typically on the right of the screen, though occasionally on the left as well. Some owners report that the problem lessens with time. Others say it stays the same. Others still say it gets worse. Some attribute the vertical lines to the AR filter bonding process. Others to the way the panel is driven. It's a mild problem, but it's there on my set.

Likewise, the buzzing isn't constantly distracting, but it's always audible when the screen is bright and louder than on the two plasma TVs I previously owned. Again, it's a minor problem, but it's there.

Finally, I can't seem to get a picture where the colour balance looks right. On THX Cinema, supposedly the preset closest to D65, most of the colours look great, but skin tones look off. People either have an olive complexion, or look like David Dickinson. The Normal preset has an excess of green and magenta. When I watched the tennis highlights on the Olympics 2012 Blu-ray, images of the normally green centre court were skewed toward purple. On the Cinema preset, the magenta/green tint is even more pronounced. If I had to choose, the THX preset looks most accurate to my eyes, but without white balance or colour management controls, the picture's warm excesses can't be tamed.

I could probably live with one of these issues in isolation (I could get a professional calibration to address issues with colour balance, if not on the THX preset), but several small problems add up to a larger one. That said, I'm scared that the problems described above could be worse on a replacement.

It would be great if we could get our GT50s in the same room and compare aspects of performance. Of course we can't, but I've devised a few tests and questions for other owners in an effort to discern if the problems with my set are typical of performance more generally.

1) the DSE test. Most prominently with solid blocks of green (usually when watching sport) can you constantly see several slightly lighter lines on the right hand side of the display as you face it that become more pronounced with camera pans?

2) The buzzing test. This is an easy one. If you press the Guide button on the remote, does the TV buzz noticeably? The buzz on mine can be heard from 10' away (my normal seating position). It becomes louder after I press OK to pull up the full channel list. The buzz is also very noticeable during commercial breaks on 4HD, when the channel logo appears on a white background between advertisements.

3) The colour test. Does everyone look like they've spent too long on the sun on the THX preset? I've set the colour to four clicks below default (or 25 clicks from zero). Frankly, all colours are oversaturated at the default level.

I'd be very grateful if other owners could report back, as it might help me determine if the issues I've encountered are true of all GT50s (in which case I'm probably too fussy) or, alternatively, if I've got a duffer and it's worth going the replacement route. Endless swapping of televisions would be lot of hassle if every set has the same problems. Apologies for the mini-essay and many thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Strapped

I definitely have the same problem with DSE as you in exactly the same place on the screen. I haven't noticed it on anything but football though, but it is slightly distracting.

I don't use the internal tuners, only Sky, but I just flicked on to tv mode and pressed the guide button, no buzzing at all.

Colours can look a bit in your face, but I changed the Colour Balance from Normal to Cool, now looks good to me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel

If I was you I would change it now, John Lewis can get funny after the first month.

Sounds like they'll all be the same, or worse. This is the only issue I have, and it's relatively minor. The hassle I would have while working away would drive me crazy, and worse, drive my wife crazy, so it'll have to wait. The warranty is for 5 years, not 1 month, so JL will have to deal with it if it becomes too much of an issue.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks BBB.

You're watching using the Cinema picture preset, right? Of course there's no colour temperature control on the THX preset. To my eyes, colours on the Normal and Cinema presets look off, whichever colour temperature I select. Have you tried the THX preset? I appreciate that you're being cautious while the set is new. One positive I can report is that I haven't seen a suggestion of image retention, let alone screen burn.

Sounds like the buzzing on my set is louder than yours, then.

Based on what I've read, I'm guessing all ST, GT and VT50s have DSE, which perhaps varies in intensity from set to set.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yes, watching in CINEMA, I did click on the THX CINEMA and realised that I couldn't change the Colour in the THX preset.

I'm at the point when I don't want to get too stressed out about the GT, I've only noticed it during football, so it's not a massive issue.

I'm starting to think that my old Kuro was the better tv, but the blacks, internet features, 3D, and brand new 5 year warranty still make me feel like it was the right decision to buy it. I do have slight motion issues too, and the Kuro was definitely better at that.

I just can't understand why a 5 year old tv can beat a brand new tv in so many ways, but what's the alternative?

D

Deleted member 2457

Can you film what you are seeing with DSE and stick it on YouTube and link it here?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I just can't understand why a 5 year old tv can beat a brand new tv in so many ways, but what's the alternative?

There isn't one at present. Maybe OLED will finally be problem free. I'm guessing that, as prices drop, manufacturing processes will be compromised by a need to reduce costs, leading to problems with that tech, too. Five years from now we could both be posting about OLED "panel fringing" or some other yet to be named issue.

If I can't avoid DSE with the GT50, perhaps I can get a set that buzzes less.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Can you film what you are seeing with DSE and stick it on YouTube and link it here?

It wouldn't be worth it with my low resolution HTC Wildfire. DSE on my GT50 looks a lot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEZP0oz1uw

That said, this video still doesn't show the problem that clearly...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

There isn't one at present. Maybe OLED will finally be problem free. I'm guessing that, as prices drop, manufacturing processes will be compromised by a need to reduce costs, leading to problems with that tech, too. Five years from now we could both be posting about OLED "panel fringing" or some other yet to be named issue.

If I can't avoid DSE with the GT50, perhaps I can get a set that buzzes less.

Have you accessed PROFESSIONAL 1 and PROFESSIONAL 2 picture modes yet? You can really go to town with colours etc there.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

It wouldn't be worth it with my low resolution HTC Wildfire. DSE on my GT50 looks a lot like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEZP0oz1uw

That said, this video still doesn't show the problem that clearly...

I saw a line going down the screen to the right, was that it?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Have you accessed PROFESSIONAL 1 and PROFESSIONAL 2 picture modes yet? You can really go to town with colours etc there.

True, but the Professional modes have a luminance cap and halve the MLL (those blacks don't seem quite so inky). That's why some people went for the ST50, since dynamic contrast is greatest on the True Cinema mode, which also has 2 point white and colour balance controls.

I need the Freesat tuner and preferred the look of the GT, which is why I went for the TV I bought. Guess I could have bought an external Freesat tuner, but that would mean further expense and another box under the TV. Besides, images are reportedly less accurate on the ST50, so professional calibration would have been a must for me.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I saw a line going down the screen to the right, was that it?

Yes, but it really doesn't show up so clearly on any videos I've seen.

Yep, got it, I had that on my first one, just get it replaced. Second and third one were fine.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
When overscan is being used the prob disappears!! As I've said, the problem for me only concours when watching SD only!

Thanks Civilian.

What you're seeing isn't DSE. It's a limitation of standard definition broadcasts where pictures are less stable toward the edges. In other words, this isn't something you need to worry about, as it's not a problem with the TV.

I'd also recommend turing overscan off with HD material, as you'll get a better picture with 1:1 pixel mapping.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Yep, got it, I had that on my first one, just get it replaced. Second and third one were fine.

Thanks Gel.

I'm still willing to let the TV bed in for a while to see if things improve. I'll call John Lewis tomorrow and explain the situation. As long as they're happy to offer a replacement in a few weeks if things don't improve, I'll consider that perfectly reasonable.

TRENDING THREADS