upgrading my CD player

singgs

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
ok - basically, i've been thinking about upgrading my Cd player. i have a marantz CD63 going through an old but wonderful audiolab 8000A and Mission floorstanding speakers (?700i -something like that)

the marantz is great but it's old now, it doesnt play cd-rw's or mp3's etc. so i'd half a mind to change to something a bit more modern (!) and when doing research i came across the Rega Apollo which sounds great

i know this all sounds a bit vague and definitely not audiophile enough for these esteemed pages (!) but i would appreciate some advice. is it worth upgrading to the Apollo with my current set-up? or would it be worth buying a new marantz (the 6200?) for a lot less money, which is more format-friendly and would prob sound better than the CD63 ... or, should i just leave well alone as i dont want to change my amp and speakers?

thanks

A

Anonymous

Hmm, this one will defiently divide opinion. I would, personally speaking, keep the CD63 as it is a very good CD player. It would probably be the same as the current 6000 series, so there isn't much point upgrading there! However, if you plan to upgrade amp/speakers in the next few years (speakers yes, amp no no no beautiful model) then the Apollo would be a good option...however, for that set-up I would advise you to look at the Arcam CD73.

Have a good one!

A

Anonymous

What kind of CD63 are we talking here? normal, SE or KI?

singgs

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
i've checked on my speakers - they're mission M73i's. i'm perfectly happy with them and the audiolab. just wondered if i would notice any difference with the apollo through this setup? as far as i can see the marantz is a basic cd-63

i cant see the point in switching to the new marantz from everyone else's comments

thanks

A

Anonymous

The new Marantz would be a good move from your CD63 and should certainly give you more of everything. The Apollo is superb so if the budget stretches you'll get yourself a superb player that will hold a good second hand value and will last upgrades. The Apollo is very good with CDRs and dodgy disks too...

A

Anonymous

Depends on budget. I recently purchased a MF X-Rayv8 and a matching DACv8 on a deal for £799 brand new (less than half price). It sounds absolutely fantastic and as good as anything I've heard for up to £2K.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts