Amplifier upgrade, used or new?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Most of those brands we associate with quality, usually have a label that reads 'Made in China' and granted the quality control is likely to be better. Still, capitalism is a funny thing, corporate entities will always go where it is cheaper to produce but hey-ho geopolitics lets steer away from that.
I understand your hesitation Doug and caution is no bad thing.
It's like most things; the Japanese and German industries have been around a long time and they have quite a bit of leverage, perhaps the Chinese will get there eventually.
My kit labels read: Made in Japan, Made in Germany, Made in UK. I'm not naive and understand that some of the guts will have originated in China but I prefer my kit to be made in recognised countries of excellence by established HiFi brands (y) :)

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Well just to return to topic as stated here is a vote for the K2 but also as asked what features are needed?

Phono stage? K2 - check. Best you'll find at the price. Just life-affirmingly brilliant.
DAC? Nope.
Remote? The original K2 remote looks like something that went down with the Ark (or at least the Commodore 64). You'll need to adopt the whole 70's Roger Moore knitwear model look to fit in with that on your coffee table.

So yeah - what are you looking for? I can listen to my K2 all day long which is what matters to me! Though I did narrowly avoid bumping up to the K3 when Richers had it for a stupid price in the sale. Had to grit my teeth and resolve that my kids should eat.

Attachments

• 1000004721.jpg
    1000004721.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 0

Dom

I have just checked eBay and the Roksan K2 amplifier is going for around £450, which makes them rather expensive for a machine released in 2009.

I'm not sure the OP's budget can stretch that far.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have just checked eBay and the Roksan K2 amplifier is going for around £450, which makes them rather expensive for a machine released in 2009.

I'm not sure the OP's budget can stretch that far.
Yup like I said, 400 to 450. Occurs to me that actually buying second hand (whatever the OP goes for) cuts the risk of just trying something. If they decide they can't live with whatever it is, there's probably only fifty quid max they'd be out of pocket when reselling, at this end of the market.

There's a UK dealership, there's a safety net with this one :).
There are a lot of excellent Chinese products and consumer confidence will only grow over the test of time, and more UK dealerships will provide the consumer with the protection they need.
Have you looked at Dvun.com though? It’s just a half-finished Shopify website. They’ve even left blank fields to insert generic product types.

A blank About Us page and no physical address I can see. Doesn’t mean it isn’t entirely genuine and just work in progress , but I’m wary at the moment. Doesn’t EU law require at least 24 months warranty these days? I must look it up.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Have you looked at Dvun.com though? It’s just a half-finished Shopify website. They’ve even left blank fields to insert generic product types.

A blank About Us page and no physical address I can see. Doesn’t mean it isn’t entirely genuine and just work in progress , but I’m wary at the moment. Doesn’t EU law require at least 24 months warranty these days? I must look it up.
Thanks, yes I did check back, it looks very fishy best to avoid and price is too good to be true. You have to be careful what you say online because of the Libel Laws but if in doubt, go else where. I also read the individual customer comments, the tone and style suggests these came from the same person. Big RED FLAG.
Shame that.

I think we all need to act responsibly so I have deleted the link to that site.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
There's no denying the sound quality of the Roksan K2 amplifier, I just wonder if there are better alternatives now in 2024.
Oh indeed. I think the interesting question is what's the best you can you get for 400* new or secondhand? It's not a question you see asked or answered in the press much except in forums like this populated by users with actual budgets.

As I suggest above I think buying secondhand is actually liberating because whatever you buy (whether it's a K2 or not) you should be able to try things without being out of pocket too much.

Still, possibly worth a thread of its own. Best components under 500 new or secondhand.

*I'd use the 'make an offer' choice, meself...

Reactions: Jasonovich
I’m thinking of upgrading my amplifier from my Denon PMA250SE which is pushing 25 years old and have a budget of £300-£350. Was considering the Marantz PM6007, but was wondering if I would get a more noticable upgrade by going used like an Arcam DiVA A85 or Roksan Kandy K2? (I’m open to other suggestions)

My current system includes Audio Technica LP3 Turntable, Rega Phono, Technics SLP720 Cd player and Fyne F302i floorstanders.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Arcam A85 or Roksan Kandy would be my choice.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
The problem with second hand. Is it in mint condition or does it have faults?

I've been there, bud. Its not fun.
Indeed (again) I wouldn't buy without a return facility or the opportunity to try at the seller's place. But I just bought a secondhand Nak (what was I even thinking?) and it's a minter so they're out there somewhere.

I've never had to claim on the bay's guarantee policy. Has anyone had any experience of that? You know the 'get what you bought or your money back' thing. How does that work? Only ever dealt with sellers direct, myself.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I am going to add a vote for the K2. I love mine...

However if I was about to spend some money in 2024, I would be curious about class D. I'd be investigating something like this. The HYPEX module is what drives NAD (and other) amps for three times the price. Oodles of power there so fairly upgrade proof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts