Upgrade Cyrus amp or something new

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I’m still a bit of a novice and could do with some advice. I'm currently running a Cyrus 6 DAC along with a set of B&W 685s2. I used to run KEFs but they sounded too thin and lean in places. I’m pretty happy with this set up, I’ve got the detail and warmth, more or less. It still doesn’t make me want to tap my foot, so I’m tempted to look at Naim going forward. The Cyrus offers me a really good compromise; an amp and built in DAC, which seems great. I play lots of records and CDs.

The question is do I spend £400 and upgrade it from 2 x 40 watts to an 8 DAC to 2 x 70 watts. I don’t necessarily play my music so loud, but what other benefits should I hear through upgrading? Greater clarity? foot tapping?:)

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated as always.

Thanks

Phil

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I havent found this site helpful with my cyrus questions go to cyrus unofficial for help there. For me personally I found at my first start that the 6 was lacking in power compared to the 8 and it would be a big upgrade difference. I would do it

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I'd get the 6 amp upgraded to the 8. The sound gains in dynamics and scale, even at lower voume levels. It also opens up a PSX-R outboard power supply upgrade in the future.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
+1 Mike and Ketan

However, I have to say I never found cyrus lacking in the rythm and 'foot tapping' department.

Still, Naim is certainly an option and may give you the sound you desire.

Audition one.

Then there is Rega with their Brio-R and Elex-R, both reputedly energetic in performance ... etc.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would look at other options, Cyrus is a bit like marmite, mind you so is naim. I would audition brands like Creek, Arcan, Naim. Not a fan of B&W either. I know someone who spent a fortune on. Cyrus gear and still was not happy, made a complete change for a cheaper system and could not be happier. I think brands like Cyrus and naim can suck you in to spend more and more money. My advise do auditions and find a system you are happy with.

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. Good advice as always, I do have a bit of thing for Cyrus now so perhaps I'll go fot the upgrade but demo a couple of other amps before hand.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a 8QX with some KEF r100's with music played soley from my Mac and I think its a fantastic little unit. I dont use the PSX-r in the set up but I do have 2 in my main set up and I have tested it with one of them when I first got it and it really helps bring out more from the unit, but as it sits on my desk i wanted to keep it simple. IMHO if you take the second hand value of your unit plus the upgrade cost you are going to really struggle to get anything that comes close for the cash , unless you go second hand.

PhilRis

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
KEF IQ5SE - sounded great with classical and electronic music, but anything else was very bright. The B&Ws sound much better, so pretty pleased with them. I was thinking about Dynaudio and will probably demo a set at some point

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
I would look at other options, Cyrus is a bit like marmite, mind you so is naim. I would audition brands like Creek, Arcan, Naim. Not a fan of B&W either. I know someone who spent a fortune on. Cyrus gear and still was not happy, made a complete change for a cheaper system and could not be happier. I think brands like Cyrus and naim can suck you in to spend more and more money. My advise do auditions and find a system you are happy with.

I agree with this. Cyrus gear doesn't work for me, I find it thin and uninvolving. As you suggested in your post listen to some others before taking the plunge.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
kmlav said:
I have a 8QX with some KEF r100's with music played soley from my Mac and I think its a fantastic little unit. I dont use the PSX-r in the set up but I do have 2 in my main set up and I have tested it with one of them when I first got it and it really helps bring out more from the unit, but as it sits on my desk i wanted to keep it simple. IMHO if you take the second hand value of your unit plus the upgrade cost you are going to really struggle to get anything that comes close for the cash , unless you go second hand.

Yes, I too can warmly recommend the PSX-R as a (future) upgrade.

Cyrus have a few handy controls, including balance and input sensitivity for different inputs plus a good headphone stage.

The only thing I'd mark it down for is a lack of phono stage but there are plenty of aftermarket solutions for that one.

I do like the afromentioned BelCanto suggestion too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts