Visit site
Hallo everyone, newbie here.
My current system is the following:
B&W 603 s2 anniversary
Exposure 2010s2 integrated amp
Exposure 2010cd
Vincent PHO300 phono stage
Rega planar
There is a bit of missing low end, I tried to improve the results adding an Exposure power amp (a XXVIII), but it doesn’t change a lot.
Now I’m usino the 2010s2 as pre and the XXVIII as power amp without biamping, sounds nice but I’m wondering if the speakers can do more with another amp, as a Roksan K3 or a Musical Fidelity M5S i or if I could keep the Exposure XXVII and buy a different preamp.
Buying a B&W subwoofer could be another optional but I’m a bit skeptical about that route…
Please, advice me…Thx!

B&W 603 s2 anniversary
Exposure 2010cd
Rega planar
There is a bit of missing low end, I tried to improve the results adding an Exposure power amp (a XXVIII), but it doesn’t change a lot.
Now I’m usino the 2010s2 as pre and the XXVIII as power amp without biamping, sounds nice but I’m wondering if the speakers can do more with another amp, as a Roksan K3 or a Musical Fidelity M5S i or if I could keep the Exposure XXVII and buy a different preamp.
Buying a B&W subwoofer could be another optional but I’m a bit skeptical about that route…
Please, advice me…Thx!
To my mind it might be an idea to keep your excellent Exposure amps but look at different speakers.
That or try to audition the M5Si

B&W 603 s2 anniversary
Exposure 2010cd
Rega planar
Please, advice me…Thx!
Rotel are generally a good match with B&Ws. Perhaps look at Rotel 15 series.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of B&W, they tend to be fussy with amp matching. On the flipside, Exposure tend to produce very good amps and are ideal for Rock music.

manicm

Rotel are generally a good match with B&Ws. Perhaps look at Rotel 15 series.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of B&W, they tend to be fussy with amp matching. On the flipside, Exposure tend to produce very good amps and are ideal for Rock music.

In this case I disagree. Reviews of this particular Exposure amp were mixed, and some had a common complaint of treble that could be slightly aggressive, and not the punchiest in bass and dynamics.

The B&W floorstanders are not fussy but benefit from more power. The Exposure has enough but reinforces my view that the OP is correct in thinking that the amp is indeed the weakest link here.

Or choose speakers which complement the amp better.

But as a first resort maybe do investigate using a sub - which doesn't need to be a B&W one. This may well be his best bet.

Reactions: Thenorrin
In this case I disagree. Reviews of this particular Exposure amp were mixed, and some had a common complaint of treble that could be slightly aggressive, and not the punchiest in bass and dynamics.

The B&W floorstanders are not fussy but benefit from more power. The Exposure has enough but reinforces my view that the OP is correct in thinking that the amp is indeed the weakest link here.

Or choose speakers which complement the amp better.

But as a first resort maybe do investigate using a sub - which doesn't need to be a B&W one. This may well be his best bet.
Well, I can only go by what I've heard at dealerships.

When I eventually upgrade or replace the Leema I will shortlist Exposure 3510.

I've physically demoed some B&Ws with various amps (Arcam, Naim etc etc) and I've only heard them sounding balanced with Rotel amp.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I’m sure I’ve written this before but I’ve had conversations about amplifiers with B & W. When the latest 6xx series was released, and the subsequent S2 AE releases, B & W demoed them with Rotel amps: namely the A14 and the RA1572, both with healthy power supplies.
Bowers are now stable mates with Marantz and are now recommending the Marantz 8xxx series of amps for the 6xx series.
Personally, I agree that a subwoofer is the way forward in this situation.

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I’ll answer this question how I always do with these types of questions.

An amp will not change bass output not even a little bit. This all boils down to the room and speaker placement or technical limitations of the speaker . Or all of the above.

If you’re sitting in a room node you’re in a room node no amp change will change this. Not even adding a subwoofer would change this.
If your speakers can only technically go to 50hz let’s say 45 with room gain then you not going to see 20hz, no amp is going to change this. Is your room even capable of producing a 20hz tone for example? not many rooms can.

Id try all the free things before spending money follow hifi best practices. Equilateral triangles speakers toed in and so on. If the speakers sound anemic move them back to the wall behind to fatten the sound up. Same can be achieved by moving your seating position back or even forward

If you have done all of the best practices then a bigger set of speakers or subwoofer is the only way to gain bass weight.

manicm

I’ll answer this question how I always do with these types of questions.

An amp will not change bass output not even a little bit. This all boils down to the room and speaker placement or technical limitations of the speaker . Or all of the above.

If you’re sitting in a room node you’re in a room node no amp change will change this. Not even adding a subwoofer would change this.
If your speakers can only technically go to 50hz let’s say 45 with room gain then you not going to see 20hz, no amp is going to change this. Is your room even capable of producing a 20hz tone for example? not many rooms can.

Id try all the free things before spending money follow hifi best practices. Equilateral triangles speakers toed in and so on. If the speakers sound anemic move them back to the wall behind to fatten the sound up. Same can be achieved by moving your seating position back or even forward

If you have done all of the best practices then a bigger set of speakers or subwoofer is the only way to gain bass weight.
An amp may not change bass output but it will influence the quality of bass. This is especially true of B&W speakers.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
An amp may not change bass output but it will influence the quality of bass. This is especially true of B&W speakers.

You’re talking about control the op is talking about anaemic/missing bass.

So if you’re sitting in a room node or the speakers are sat in poop places. An amp change will do absolutely nothing in those situations. Been there done that.

A modern approach to house design is to have an open plan room with a dinning room behind the sofa, the sofa effectively sitting in the middle of the room. Worst place ever for a sitting position. This is just one example where an amp change will be next to pointless.

So I stand by advice, before spending money make sure you are following hi fi best practices for set up. Amps will offer flavour changes and control but buying an amp thinking it add bass to where it’s “missing” in the frequency range is a fools errand.

manicm

You’re talking about control the op is talking about anaemic/missing bass.

So if you’re sitting in a room node or the speakers are sat in poop places. An amp change will do absolutely nothing in those situations. Been there done that.

A modern approach to house design is to have an open plan room with a dinning room behind the sofa, the sofa effectively sitting in the middle of the room. Worst place ever for a sitting position. This is just one example where an amp change will be next to pointless.

So I stand by advice, before spending money make sure you are following hi fi best practices for set up. Amps will offer flavour changes and control but buying an amp thinking it add bass to where it’s “missing” in the frequency range is a fools errand.

The thing is, it's not always practical to 'follow hifi practices ' or lifestyle won't permit it. And that would be a pretty narrow way to approach hifi

Thenorrin

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all kind tips!
I’ll try to investigate more in the speaker placement in the room.
BTW, do you think that I should use the wooden bases of the speakers or could I just use the little rubber spikes/feet the speakers come with?

Thanks to everyone here, I will check the Rotel RA1572mkII, then eventually will add a sub
If you're going to go down the route of components then in the first instance get a subwoofer. You can locate and place the sub in most appropriate position in the room that gives optimum LF performance.

An effectively aligned, calibrated and dialled in subwoofer can make the most profound difference to the overall performance of a system.

A subwoofer is the most important component.

Reactions: manicm

Thenorrin

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Quick update.
I listened to my speakers in 2 different shops with different amps and liked them the most with 2 very different amps: Hegel h120 and Copland CSA70, more precise the Hegel, warmer the Copland
Anyway, both are 70w per ch even if both show high current…do you think I should try the 100w version of those amps? Or maybe considering a Less expensive Musical Fidelity m5si? Thx!

Quick update.
I listened to my speakers in 2 different shops with different amps and liked them the most with 2 very different amps: Hegel h120 and Copland CSA70, more precise the Hegel, warmer the Copland
Anyway, both are 70w per ch even if both show high current…do you think I should try the 100w version of those amps? Or maybe considering a Less expensive Musical Fidelity m5si? Thx!
Personally I’d think the Copland would be a wonderful match, but I’ve not heard your speakers in your room.

You’ll see from this lab test that it gives nearer 90 watts per channel, and potentially over 21 amps which will handle almost any speaker. https://www.hifinews.com/content/copland-csa70-integrated-amplifier-lab-report

Thenorrin

Aug 1, 2023
Visit site
Final report.
I got the Copland CSA70 and indeed is a HUGE step forward compared to my previous (still good) Exposure. Maybe the driving capabilities or the higher power (the Copland has been tested at 90w RMS per channel on 8ohms), but the sound is deeper, more present but also more controlled in the bass department, even sweeter in the mids and present but not harsh at all in the highs. A total WINNER, I'm very happy!!
NO need for a sub at all at the moment, I'm so happy I'm thinking to upgrade my power signal cables with a Supra Classic6, and maybe I will also get a Copland CD player (a CDA289 is a possible candidate).
Now I hear the B&W at their FULL potential.
Thanks for the useful discussion and the kind tips.

gasolin

You need power for more bass

How are you speakers placed ?

But remember theres a difference between controlled bass and loud boomy bass

Speakers q acoustics 5040 if your amp can handle 3 ohm (rated at 91.5db) ?

Or 3050i ?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts