Looking for an amplifier

DianeC

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
I am setting up a music system and am considering upgrading my amplifier (a Sony FM Stereo/FM-AM Receiver STR-DH130)

This summer I purchased
- B&W CM8 s2 speakers
- Rega Planar 1 turntable
- Rega Fono Mini A2D MM Phono Preamp (which I may not need with a new amp?)

Any advice on whether to get a new amplifier? If yes, which one? Hoping to spend under $1,000 Canadian. (Less expensive is better. lol)

I'm setting up the system for music. I use vinyl, CD, & .flac from my PC; most of my music is CD/.flac. (I don't plan to buy lots of vinyl; just some.)

thanks

Last edited:

DianeC

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
I'm using a RCA Cable 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Audio Cable for my digital (flac) files.

I also have bluetooth that I use to stream from services (quality is less important to me when streaming)

I'm using a RCA Cable 3.5mm to 2-Male RCA Adapter Audio Cable for my digital (flac) files.

I also have bluetooth that I use to stream from services (quality is less important to me when streaming)
Ok, so you use the PC to convert those files to analogue...
You might be better finding an amplifier with an inbuilt DAC and outputting digital from PC to that amp.

DianeC

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
More Info
B&W speaker specs:
  • Design: 3 -way, Ported, Tower Enclosure
  • Drivers: One 1″ Aluminum Dome Tweeter, One 5″ Kevlar FST Midrange, Two 5″ Paper/Kevlar Woofers
  • MFR: 69 Hz – 22 kHz ± 3 dB
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Crossover Frequencies: 350 Hz, 4 kHz
  • Recommended Amplifier Power: 30W – 150W
Sony amp specs:
  • 90 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
  • no phono input (phono preamp needed)

Last edited:

DianeC

Nov 11, 2022
Visit site
Ok, so you use the PC to convert those files to analogue...
You might be better finding an amplifier with an inbuilt DAC and outputting digital from PC to that amp.

I picked up a Dragonfly Black to use with the cable but a built in DAC would be useful. I'm not loving playing my digital music from the laptop but that's what I have.

Honestly I'm cobbling this together with minimal knowledge and the power of the internet.

TRENDING THREADS