Upgrade from Nait 5i.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I been thinking recently about changing my amp and possibly cd player. I like the cohesive naim sound but want more soundstaging and air in the reproduction. I would also like improvements in tonality. Ive heard that some of the new naim gear offers some of this but retains the traditional naim strengths. What other brands can people recommend that offer most of the naim sound but bring benefits in other areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated as im not happy with the sound at the moment.

A

Anonymous

I've heard people say that Creek amps can offer a similar rhythmic sound but with more air. I've never compared so this is only second-hand info.

matthewpiano

I'd suggest auditioning a Naim CD player in your system or possibly a Rega Apollo.

Good though your Marantz is I don't think it is good enough for the rest of your system. Furthermore, every time I've heard Naim amplification (whether it be a Nait integrated or a pre-power combo) it has only really come to life properly when paired with a Naim or Rega CD player.

Eventually you might want to upgrade the amp to an XS, but at this stage I feel it still has much more to give.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I have tried a naim cd player but while this did breathe new life into the sound it mostly concreted those naim strengths rather than bringing more space and air into the reproduction. Tonally i prefered my marantz. I havent heard the naim cd5xs though so maybe this is the answer. Thanks for the reply

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:I've heard people say that Creek amps can offer a similar rhythmic sound but with more air. I've never compared so this is only second-hand info.

I hadnt thought of creek amps. Thanks for the suggestion

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:I know most big outlets like Audio-T are (or were) offereing good part exchange deals on Naim. If that is still the case, I would upgrade to the XS, although it might be worth auditioning some speakers, like Epos, Rega, PMC...

Thats good to know. Have considered the xs range and a speaker change. Heard neat motives work well with naim gear.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Would be worth trying the Rega Saturn as well.

Have heard a saturn, no where near enough of an upgrade over the marantz but thanks for your suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Haven't heard the Bachs but have heard the Vienna Acoustics Haydn with the 5i. They're good speakers though for me they lacked a little sparkle.

I recently heard (well, yesterday) some Dynaudio Focus 140s and was impressed. They were on the end of some Rega gear - didn't see what, but the budget judging by the style. Plenty of air, decent rhythm, dynamics plus excellent soundstage. They are, however, standmounts which you may not like. Also the Nait would be at the bottom end of being able to drive them. I mention them as, to my ears anyway, they give you everything you find lacking in the Vienna Acoustics.

Irrespective, I'd look at the Supernait rather than the XS if you want to stick with Naim. More power, therefore gives you extra options if you were to think about a speaker change in the future. Another thought would be the Electrocompaniet P series or Densen.

malthus80:

plastic penguin:I know most big outlets like Audio-T are (or were) offereing good part exchange deals on Naim. If that is still the case, I would upgrade to the XS, although it might be worth auditioning some speakers, like Epos, Rega, PMC...

Thats good to know. Have considered the xs range and a speaker change. Heard neat motives work well with naim gear.

The Neats are a good choice, likewise PMCs.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
malthus80:

Have heard a saturn, no where near enough of an upgrade over the marantz but thanks for your suggestions.

Hell fire your CDP must be amazing then if you think its as good, if not better than a Rega Saturn
emotion-8.gif

matthewpiano

malthus80:

Fair enough.

I reckon the best thing would be to book a good long demo and to try a couple of different CD players, a couple of different amps, and some alternative speakers. Mix, match, swap and change to see which takes you closest to the sort of changes you want to make. Then book a second demo where you can focus on trying a shortlist for that system component.

A

Anonymous

I previously had a Naim setup and currently have two separate amp setups - NVA and Avondale Audio. They've been swapped back and forth fed by a Densen cdp.

Cheers

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
malthus80:

Blimey, thats a first, either you have a modded 63ki or the Saturn was not warmed up.......

Either wat I can recommend the Rega - Naim - Rega combo.

To achieve the openess and seperation that you require, will possibly need you to lower the noise floor of your equipment. Having a dedicated supply for your HIFI will help to achieve this, at a fraction of the cost (approx £200) of any equioment upgrades.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:

Haven't heard the Bachs but have heard the Vienna Acoustics Haydn with the 5i. They're good speakers though for me they lacked a little sparkle.

I recently heard (well, yesterday) some Dynaudio Focus 140s and was impressed. They were on the end of some Rega gear - didn't see what, but the budget judging by the style. Plenty of air, decent rhythm, dynamics plus excellent soundstage. They are, however, standmounts which you may not like. Also the Nait would be at the bottom end of being able to drive them. I mention them as, to my ears anyway, they give you everything you find lacking in the Vienna Acoustics.

Irrespective, I'd look at the Supernait rather than the XS if you want to stick with Naim. More power, therefore gives you extra options if you were to think about a speaker change in the future. Another thought would be the Electrocompaniet P series or Densen.

I agree the vienna's can lack a little sparkle but i do know that they do the things i am looking for on other electronics, including my old audiolab. Its only on the naim do they lack air and soundstaging. It may well be the combination thats not working. Havent heard many dynaaudios so will look into that. I am very interested in the superanait as its more potent. Not heard electrocompaniet but have liked densen in the past so will look into that. Thanks for the advice.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:malthus80:

Hell fire your CDP must be amazing then if you think its as good, if not better than a Rega Saturn
emotion-8.gif

I was thinking of the planet not the saturn. My mistake. The saturn is about a grand isnt it? May be worth checking out. Many thanks

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:malthus80:

Fair enough. I reckon the best thing would be to book a good long demo and to try a couple of different CD players, a couple of different amps, and some alternative speakers. Mix, match, swap and change to see which takes you closest to the sort of changes you want to make. Then book a second demo where you can focus on trying a shortlist for that system component.

I was thinking of the planet not the saturn. I reckon thats good advice above. I have received many good suggestions so need to draw up a shortlist. Many thanks

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Rob_manchester:

I previously had a Naim setup and currently have two separate amp setups - NVA and Avondale Audio. They've been swapped back and forth fed by a Densen cdp.

Cheers

Densen was mentioned before so need to ckeck it out. Thanks

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:malthus80:

Blimey, thats a first, either you have a modded 63ki or the Saturn was not warmed up.......

Either wat I can recommend the Rega - Naim - Rega combo.

To achieve the openess and seperation that you require, will possibly need you to lower the noise floor of your equipment. Having a dedicated supply for your HIFI will help to achieve this, at a fraction of the cost (approx £200) of any equioment upgrades.

Yes that would be quite a feat. I was thinking of the planet , a far less costly player. It would be nice if my ki sounded as good as a saturn. The rega and naim seems to be popping up a lot so could be worth checking out. I have put mains conditioners on it but it robbed the sound of life. It got rid of all that naim goodness. Do you mean a dedicated mains supply much like an oven?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, seperate supply from your consumer unit (even better seperate consumer unit, but that is costly)

32A mccb feeding either 4mm or 6mm three core to socket / sockets either radial or ring.

Without doubt one of the most cost effective upgrades i have ever made.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:

Yes, seperate supply from your consumer unit (even better seperate consumer unit, but that is costly)

32A mccb feeding either 4mm or 6mm three core to socket / sockets either radial or ring.

Without doubt one of the most cost effective upgrades i have ever made.

I defintely going to check that out. I like significant upgrades without changing the core components. Thanks for the info

A

Anonymous

malthus80: To achieve the openess and seperation that you require, will possibly need you to lower the noise floor of your equipment. Having a dedicated supply for your HIFI will help to achieve this, at a fraction of the cost (approx £200) of any equioment upgrades.

Do you mean a transformer in a box, running from the wall outlet? Dedicated mains cables make a huge difference, so I'm intereseted.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
malthus80:matthewpiano:malthus80:

Fair enough. I reckon the best thing would be to book a good long demo and to try a couple of different CD players, a couple of different amps, and some alternative speakers. Mix, match, swap and change to see which takes you closest to the sort of changes you want to make. Then book a second demo where you can focus on trying a shortlist for that system component.

I was thinking of the planet not the saturn. I reckon thats good advice above. I have received many good suggestions so need to draw up a shortlist. Many thanks

+1 on the Saturn, man. It's amazing what this cdp can do. I think that Rega hit a homerun on this one -- build quality is superb, the design (in traditional Rega top-loading fashion) is quirky enough to distinguish it from your mother-in-law's Tesco, and the sound is simply amazing. The Apollo probably remains one of the better players around, but the Saturn tops even that with greater depth, detail and pace. I play anything from Hot Chip to Miles Davis to Nigel Kennedy on it in my bedroom system and it certainly does not disappoint.

I have honestly only heard one cdp that possibly betters what it can do, and that's an Isis on a system with Dynaudio Evidence Temptations and VTL pre-power juicing it up. Not apples to apples by any stretch, as far as equipment cost and dimensions are concerned.

Simply put, if you're still relatively mindful of cost and yet are willing to spend slightly more than the average joe, you won't go wrong with a Saturn.

A

Anonymous

You should try further up the Naim range if you want to keep the cohesive sound you like. Otherwise, you may find the baby being thrown out with the bath water, so to speak.

The Dynaudio Focus 110 works well with my Nait 5i, except at party volumes or if they have little or no room to breathe. Soundstaging seems fine to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts