Replacing Naim Nait 5i with Powernode

Lanica26

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi wise ones!

Hoping you can help shed some light on my next hifi upgrade.

We have a pair of KEF R500 floorstanding speakers powered by the Naim Nait 5i amplifier. It is a system we bought 10 years ago and that we still love. Unfortunately we now listen to our music digially 90% of the time so instead of using our nice set-up, we end up streaming to the Google Speaker (yikes, I know!). So we really need a solution to stream music to our hifi system. So, I've ended up with almost deciding on the Bluesound Node (2021) - seems like it ticks all the boxes.

Until I realised - why not get the Bluesound Powernode instead? Our Naim Nait 5i amp already has one of the inputs not functioning (the AV one) and woudn't it be better to spend an extra €400 and just upgrade the amp AND add streaming?

So wise ones - what would be your thoughts on that? My two concerns are 1) sound type (would the Powernode be much different from the Naim in combination with the speakers - we love the mid-tones/balanced and refined sound we get from the combination)? 2) connecting our wire-ended speakers with the Powernode - would we need to get some type of banana plugs or such to put on the cables?

I have seen several YouTube videos testing the Powernode with some KEF speakers, but they are not the big floorstanding ones we have...

Really appreciate ANY and all input on this! Thank you :)

Gray

If it were me, I'd probably be going for a (less expensive than Node) streamer only option.
But it's not me, so let's base it on your shortlist:
I'd stick with the sound you know and love, and go for the Node. Save the £400 and put it toward a future amp upgrade if and when necessary.

Gold plated banana plugs are cheap and easy to fit by the way. I'd be putting them on both ends of my speaker leads, whatever else I did 👍

Cinjun

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
I was going to purchas a Bluenode to add streaming to my existing primary 2 channel audio system. After much research, I learned that the DAC could be better, to provide a wider, deeper, more precise imaging. I decided on a 2nd hand Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ which gets you back into Naim territory with sound. Best wishes.

Reactions: Lanica26

Lanica26

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
If it were me, I'd probably be going for a (less expensive than Node) streamer only option.
But it's not me, so let's base it on your shortlist:
I'd stick with the sound you know and love, and go for the Node. Save the £400 and put it toward a future amp upgrade if and when necessary.

Gold plated banana plugs are cheap and easy to fit by the way. I'd be putting them on both ends of my speaker leads, whatever else I did 👍

Thank you for your reply - much appreciated! So in your opinion, there is less risk in losing the sound we love by adding the Node vs. going the Powenode route. That's a very valuable feedback, one that I hadn't considered. As for the banana plugs, not sure why they haven't told us about that when we bought our speakers... must check it out...

Reactions: Al ears

Lanica26

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
I was going to purchas a Bluenode to add streaming to my existing primary 2 channel audio system. After much research, I learned that the DAC could be better, to provide a wider, deeper, more precise imaging. I decided on a 2nd hand Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ which gets you back into Naim territory with sound. Best wishes.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately where I am (Spain) there is not a big second hand market for such things (at least not a reliable one anyway...). I will check out the model you suggested :)

zeroID

Dec 10, 2021
Visit site
You can't compare the cheapo digital sound of Bluesound Power Node with the Naim. I wouldn't recomend even the standalone Bluesound streamer, I had the the N130, very buggy firmware so I replaced it with Electrocompaniet Rena S1 - stable firmware and much, much better sound.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

So in your opinion, there is less risk in losing the sound we love by adding the Node vs. going the Powernode route.
Yes, I think it would be safe to say that.
In both the Node and Powernode you would be using the same DAC but, crucially, the amplifier technology in the Powernode is very different to that of your Naim - which means you'd (almost certainly) be up for a change of sound.
I say 'almost certainly' as there are those that say that all well designed amps sound the same. Most people have found that they don't.
That doesn't mean that you would dislike the Powernode sound - as you've probably seen, WHF loved it in their review. Look at post #6 above this though and you'll see that he's not so keen :) .....he didn't seem to think much of the Bluesound? app either...and streamers are, arguably, only as good as their control apps.
The Node gives you the option of using an external DAC from its coax or optical output, but then you're paying for a redundant built-in DAC.
Now you can see why quite a few people (including me) have chosen to take the Raspberry Pi option as a streamer - no big outlay, good, free operating system (such as Volumio) with its output through a good (but still relatively inexpensive) external DAC of choice.

I still say that of the two, the Node would be your better bet.

As for the plugs, I've tried a few different types and can recommend these. Don't be put off by the naff logo on the covers:
Nothing wrong with using bare wire speaker connection, but exposed copper can oxidise, gold doesn't. Also, no risk of stray whiskers shorting out and easier to connect / disconnect plugs - even if you rarely do.

Last edited:

Lanica26

Nov 13, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I think it would be safe to say that.
In both the Node and Powernode you would be using the same DAC but, crucially, the amplifier technology in the Powernode is very different to that of your Naim - which means you'd (almost certainly) be up for a change of sound.
I say 'almost certainly' as there are those that say that all well designed amps sound the same. Most people have found that they don't.
That doesn't mean that you would dislike the Powernode sound - as you've probably seen, WHF loved it in their review. Look at post #6 above this though and you'll see that he's not so keen :) .....he didn't seem to think much of the Bluesound? app either...and streamers are, arguably, only as good as their control apps.
The Node gives you the option of using an external DAC from its coax or optical output, but then you're paying for a redundant built-in DAC.
Now you can see why quite a few people (including me) have chosen to take the Raspberry Pi option as a streamer - no big outlay, good, free operating system (such as Volumio) with its output through a good (but still relatively inexpensive) external DAC of choice.

I still say that of the two, the Node would be your better bet.

As for the plugs, I've tried a few different types and can recommend these. Don't be put off by the naff logo on the covers:
Nothing wrong with using bare wire speaker connection, but exposed copper can oxidise, gold doesn't. Also, no risk of stray whiskers shorting out and easier to connect / disconnect plugs - even if you rarely do.
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! All you say makes a lot of sense. I have tried to Google the streamer solution you suggest but it seems to not be an "all-in-one plug n play" device. But it sounds interesting and I'll try and read more about it.

Thank again, especially for the link! 😊

Reactions: Gray

Gray

....but it seems to not be an "all-in-one plug n play" device.
You're right - and when someone on this forum first suggested it, I thought it sounded way too much of a faff.
As it happened though, probably the hardest part for me was flashing Volumio onto the Pi's SD card....but only because I'd never touched an SD card in my life 😉

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Id stick with your Naim and use a streamer. Honestly the node 2i in my experience is very very good for the money even without adding an external dac. The app is very good as well. Many many audiophiles with nice kit use them...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts