turntable setup help needed!

mary-14

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I have managed to convince my old man to lend me his old sony turntable, but I am a bit stuck/confused with the setup and I need your help! Although I have researched turntables for quite a while online (I had planned to buy one for christmas, until it proved a bit expensive at this time), I am quite new to all this. I bought myself a Denon integrated amplifier off of eBay (Denon pma-355uk), which seems to be working fine. However, I was under the impression that you plugged the RCA cables running from the turntable into the 'phono' input in the amplifier, however these two inputs seem to be blocked, like this: http://i.imgur.com/jYDsW.jpg This picture was found online, and there are a few examples of this amp with the phono input blocked the same as mines, but there are also pictures of it without... So I am wondering if you are able to take these things out? They don't seem to want to budge using my bare hands. How do you get them out if so? Or is there anywhere else I could plug the cables into that would work? Are they meant to be removed or is there a reason for them being in there? Thank you!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If i remember correctly the Denon PMA-355UK has a built-in phono stage which means you can connect your turntable directly to it using the phono inputs. Can you prise the plugs out using a small screwdriver?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
If i remember correctly the Denon PMA-355UK has a built-in phono stage which means you can connect your turntable directly to it using the phono inputs. Can you prise the plugs out using a small screwdriver?

If that's the case (that the Denon hass a built-in phono stage), then surely you want to use any input EXCEPT the phono input?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Andy Clough said:

If that's the case (that the Denon hass a built-in phono stage), then surely you want to use any input EXCEPT the phono input?

Phono > Phono

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
The_Lhc said:
Andy Clough said:

Phono > Phono

What does that even mean?

Mikowhy

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about this particular model but I know that with some denons you had to pay extra for the phono stage to be installed, so for example you can find some denon amps like pma-250 with and without the phono input.

Perhaps this is same thing?

Maybe try to open the amp and try to check if those plugs are somehow attached from inside?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts