Turntable connection

kevt

Sep 6, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
Not sure if anyone can help with this query, but I’m after some advice if possible. Bear with me!
I’ve got a BeoSound 3000 with BeoLab 6000 speakers.
Prior to this, many moons ago, I used a Technics system which included a SL-J100R turntable. I still have the entire Technics system mothballed but, given the resurgence in vinyl, I am looking to resurrect use of the turntable if possible.
The turntable was linked to the Technics amp as per the attached connection diagram. I don’t want to go back to use of the entire Technics system, so my question is could the turntable be connected for use with the Beosound via the unit’s auxiliary sockets? And how? Or any other way?

'Don't really have a clue about this, so an 'idiots guide' type response would be appreciated.

Regards Kevt

Attachments

• 20230903_123329.jpg
    20230903_123329.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 16

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
NO NO NO.

I don't see any facility for a phono input on that device (BEOSound 3000). A phono stage does two things:

1) Amplify the input to get a signal that will power speakers - output from a turntable is typically below 'line' (5V) so the amplification is higher
2) Correct the sound profile of the turntable output, which will be modified to the RIAA compression profile - which boosts the treble laid on to the record and diminishes the bass to avoid sending the stylus into orbit when someone plays slap-bass. A phono stage reverses this to get a realistic sounding result. (Think of Dolby on tape if you want an analogy that you may be familiar with)

A phono stage does both things, and both are needed. The second is more important as in principle you can compensate for the first by cranking up to 11.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
NO NO NO.

I don't see any facility for a phono input on that device (BEOSound 3000). A phono stage does two things:

1) Amplify the input to get a signal that will power speakers - output from a turntable is typically below 'line' (5V) so the amplification is higher
2) Correct the sound profile of the turntable output, which will be modified to the RIAA compression profile - which boosts the treble laid on to the record and diminishes the bass to avoid sending the stylus into orbit when someone plays slap-bass. A phono stage reverses this to get a realistic sounding result. (Think of Dolby on tape if you want an analogy that you may be familiar with)

A phono stage does both things, and both are needed. The second is more important as in principle you can compensate for the first by cranking up to 11.
Sorry I think I just understood what Gray was saying up there - your Technics has a phono input and an 'Ext' (presumably pre-amp) output.

So it would go:

Turntable >>> Phono on Technics
Ext Output (indicated as to graphic equaliser in the diagram) >>> BEOSound AUX

Then you will have the RIAA equalization in-circuit.

For the latter stage, something like this would probably be helpful https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olu...n-phono-to-beosound-aux-input-din-socket.html

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Sorry I think I just understood what Gray was saying up there - your Technics has a phono input and an 'Ext' (presumably pre-amp) output.
That's it 👍
Though he might prefer to get a more discreet phono preamp, rather than use that part of his Technics stack
(as he can probably do without the 'turntable control' that the Technics component also provides).

Reactions: nopiano
If you're still around @kevt
See the link in post #8 to see that the (more common) 5-pin DIN plug, can be used in the 7-pin socket that B&O have decided to use 🤪
Coming up to 24 hours, so let’s hope so!

@kevt So, in summary, and in compliance with the request not to use the whole Technics stack in the original question, the route is this, I think:-

1. Technics turntable into newly purchased phono stage/preamp* via twin phono leads from turntable.
2. Newly purchased phono to DIN leads from phono stage into Beosound 3000.
3. Beosound into speakers. I’m assuming this has already been done, but ask if unsure.

*something like this…https://www.richersounds.com/project-mm-phono-pre-amp.html

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
That's it 👍
Though he might prefer to get a more discreet phono preamp, rather than use that part of his Technics stack
(as he can probably do without the 'turntable control' that the Technics component also provides).
Yeah but as I read it that connection would be optional anyway - so you'd be fine just putting the pre-amp in the circuit and operating the turntable as normal.

Overall, and I know this sounds sniffy, if you were interested enough in vinyl sound quality you wouldn't be using a SL-J100R anyway (or probably the B&O kit), so a new phono stage may be overkill. (I admitted it - it's sniffy, so don't shoot me!). I believe the poster would be best proceeding as discussed, and putting in some new box only in the case that they are not happy.

If changing anything, then I would suggest it's a toss-up whether to get a new phono pre or a new turntable - that would depend on how good the Technics' phono stage is (and some integrateds have great phonos; I should know - my Roksan's is positively angelic).

As an addition, there would then be a second stage of asking this forum what to buy (and getting the usual blizzard of personal reccs). But that way upgrade madness lies, as we all know!

Gray

Yeah but as I read it that connection would be optional anyway - so you'd be fine just putting the pre-amp in the circuit and operating the turntable as normal.

Overall, and I know this sounds sniffy, if you were interested enough in vinyl sound quality you wouldn't be using a SL-J100R anyway (or probably the B&O kit), so a new phono stage may be overkill. (I admitted it - it's sniffy, so don't shoot me!). I believe the poster would be best proceeding as discussed, and putting in some new box only in the case that they are not happy.

If changing anything, then I would suggest it's a toss-up whether to get a new phono pre or a new turntable - that would depend on how good the Technics' phono stage is (and some integrateds have great phonos; I should know - my Roksan's is positively angelic).

As an addition, there would then be a second stage of asking this forum what to buy (and getting the usual blizzard of personal reccs). But that way upgrade madness lies, as we all know!
Yes, no way would I say that a separate phono preamp is a necessity in his case.
He's already got all he really needs.

(Not really 'sniffy' to think that his vinyl might deserve better, especially if he's paid the stupid price of the new stuff) 👍

TRENDING THREADS