Replacing an SME tonearm on a 1974 Technics SL120

ngowerjo

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone

I recently inherited a Technics SL120 turntable from 1974 which is in great condition but there seems to be an issue with the output, which is quiet and very lacking in low end. The tonearm has an old SME connector on it, and it looks like it has seen better days - so it uses a cable like in the picture below to connect the tonearm to the amp. I think this cable is the problem, but getting a new one seems to be well nigh impossible and I'm wondering if in fact I can just replace the entire tonearm with one which has a more modern connection. Is this even possible, or do I have to use one with a connector like this? Am I even going the right way about solving this problem?

Thanks very much in anticipation for any advice anyone can give me.

Nick

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If it was the cable then you'd be much more likely to have no sound or sound on only one channel if a cable or contact was broken. What amp do you have and is the cable plugged into the 'phono' sockets as the sound you describe is what you might get plugging it into a line level input?

Reactions: nopiano and Gray

Gray

...I sort of assumed that cart would be ok and that it would be connected to the correct amp input - but maybe I shouldn't have assumed....having previously seen that anything is possible 🤪

(I don't like the look of that connector though....and I would have to lose it anyway if I could).

...I sort of assumed that cart would be ok and that it would be connected to the correct amp input - but maybe I shouldn't have assumed....having previously seen that anything is possible 🤪

(I don't like the look of that connector though....and I would have to lose it anyway if I could).
that's a standard socket for older SME arms.
Either he's plugged into wrong sockets on the amp or it's possibly a MC cartridge.

Reactions: Gray

Guess we will not know until OP comes back with more information.

ngowerjo

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone - thanks very much for all your thoughts. I wondered about the amp input being an issue so checked the same inputs with a different device - no issues there, but I am attaching a pic to show how I have it connected up to the amp. I have tried to capture some more pics too showing the plug on the bottom of the tonearm, though it is a little tricky to see. My issue is I'm not technically capable of resoldering cables onto a different output from the tonearm or anything like that, I'm just wondering if I can do a wholesale replacement of the tonearm, cartridge and all to get a more up to date connection. I don't really know how to isolate the problem, that's my issue.

The images are as follows:
Image marked "1" - bottom of the tonearm from under the turntable, phono cable plug taken out
Image marked "2" - as above but plug to phono cables showing
Image marked "3" - as above but phono cable plugged into tonearm

I've also added pics of the input into the amp (turntable is plugged into the "tuner" input), the whole tonearm and the cartridge. Happy to add any more if needed. Thanks so much for the help!

NickIMG_1002 (1).jpgIMG_1004 (1).jpgIMG_1005 (1).jpgIMG_1006 (1).jpgIMG_1007 (1).jpgIMG_1008 (1).jpg

The turntable has to be plugged into the Phono / Aux sock not Tuner
There's a chance the amp doesn't have an inbuilt phono preamp although there's a possibility it does looking at the earth connection.
What exactly is that amp and what is the cartridge fitted? These are the answers we need to help you.
Don't need irrelevant photos just answers.
There is probably nothing wrong at the turntable end except maybe a good squirt of contact cleaner.

ngowerjo

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi - the amp is a Cambridge Audio A1 integrated amp. I have tried plugging into the aux/phono inout but have the same issue. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the cartridge is, but at the risk of another irrelevant photo, here's a pic!! I understand what you are saying about a separate preamp though. Makes sense!

IMG_1009.jpg

The cartridge is a Stanton 681 EEE moving magnet and is probably in dire need of replacement.
This might be the cause of issues and it should be replaced.
Failing this you may need to add an external phono preamp but only if there is an issue with the internal one.
You also need to connect those earth wires to the back of the amplifier.
My money is on the cartridge itself.

ngowerjo

Jul 16, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I’ve done a bit of digging and the Cambridge Audio A1 amp came with a phono pre amp as an optional extra - my guess is my amp doesn’t have one, so on the basis of trying the cheapest fix first I may go for that. I know there will be a ton of (very valid!) opinions about preamps, but given this is for my 15 year old son, I was considering going for the cheap option of a Behringer PP400. Will this do the job of just getting him up and running? He can invest in an upgrade when he‘s paying for it himself!!

Reactions: Gray

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
There's an original plug-in phono stage on Ebay at the moment for £36 plus postage if that's any help. Otherwise the OP will need a separate phono stage and another set of leads unless he has a spare set.

Reactions: Al ears

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi - the amp is a Cambridge Audio A1 integrated amp. I have tried plugging into the aux/phono inout but have the same issue. I'm sorry but I'm not sure what the cartridge is, but at the risk of another irrelevant photo, here's a pic!! I understand what you are saying about a separate preamp though. Makes sense!

View attachment 4972
Nothing wrong with a photo it all helps wow that is a oldie and its still going 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts