Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Hi,
I bought a second hand Technics SL-Q2 turntable with a Ortofon VMS 20E MkII cartridge a couple of years back, previous owner had it from new, I use it with my equally old Pioneer A656 Mk 2 amplifier. All been good although I'm far from an expert. As I've started collecting lots more brand new vinyl now I was wondering if I would be better off replacing the turntable/cartridge with something more modern ? My budget would be limited to max around £350 really. Any advice would be most welcome 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_130119.jpg
    IMG_20230712_130119.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230712_130058.jpg
    IMG_20230712_130058.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi,
I bought a second hand Technics SL-Q2 turntable with a Ortofon VMS 20E MkII cartridge a couple of years back, previous owner had it from new, I use it with my equally old Pioneer A656 Mk 2 amplifier. All been good although I'm far from an expert. As I've started collecting lots more brand new vinyl now I was wondering if I would be better off replacing the turntable/cartridge with something more modern ? My budget would be limited to max around £350 really. Any advice would be most welcome 🤗
If the turntable is still working fine you probably will not see a huge upgrade for your budget.
Simply buy a better cartridge would be my suggestion, that Ortofon may be a tad tired.

Thanks, what would be a better cartridge?
There are plenty, it will depend on how much you want to spend on one.
Look at the Audio Technica range might give you some idea.
NOTE: you could simply buy a new stylus for your Ortofon however they are not particularly cheap and, for around the same price you could get a brand new cartridge complete. This may be the better option because your Ortofon could have been around since the '80s.

matthewpianist

I agree, you won't improve on your Technics for £350, it will bring a sideways move at best.

It's well worth looking at Audio-Technica cartridges, which offer great performance even from the entry models. I'm very impressed with the 3600L, even after coming from an Ortofon 2M Blue, and I've always loved the AT-95, especially the AT-95EN variant.

I agree, you won't improve on your Technics for £350, it will bring a sideways move at best.

It's well worth looking at Audio-Technica cartridges, which offer great performance even from the entry models. I'm very impressed with the 3600L, even after coming from an Ortofon 2M Blue, and I've always loved the AT-95, especially the AT-95EN variant.
Pretty much my feeling.
Money spent on a new cartridge would be the be the approach I feel, although how much is down to the OP as a replacement stylus for his Ortofon will cost around £135

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts