Technics SL-1500 platter mat

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
I’ve recently purchased a Technics SL-1500 and have already swapped out the Ortofon 2m red that was fitted as bought. I would like to find a decent quality cork platter mat for this deck but having trouble finding one that would fit. The Technics turntable platter has a raised edge so care has to be taken with regard to getting one the right size. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Welcome to the forum.

I‘m curious why you want to change the mat. Unless a cork one is a similar thickness then it may change the tracking angle, which you need to consider.

Is 295mm too large? If not, this looks decent. Otherwise, Pro-ject and Tonar both make one.

Reactions: WayneKerr
I’ve recently purchased a Technics SL-1500 and have already swapped out the Ortofon 2m red that was fitted as bought. I would like to find a decent quality cork platter mat for this deck but having trouble finding one that would fit. The Technics turntable platter has a raised edge so care has to be taken with regard to getting one the right size. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Welcome to the forum.
Why a cork platter mat? What was the deck fitted with originally?
You have to make sure the replacement is the same height without affecting the VTA of the cartridge.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Thank you Al ears, the deck is fitted with a thick rubber mat. I guess that I’m interested to know if there any sonic differences using a cork mat ( positives or negative). Yes, I realise that there may be a VTA issue but this deck can accommodate any required adjustment.

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

I‘m curious why you want to change the mat. Unless a cork one is a similar thickness then it may change the tracking angle, which you need to consider.

Is 295mm too large? If not, this looks decent. Otherwise, Pro-ject and Tonar both make one.
Thank you nopiano, the deck is fitted with a thick rubber mat. I guess that I’m interested to know if there any sonic differences using a cork mat ( positives or negative). Yes, I realise that there may be a VTA issue but this deck can accommodate any required adjustment.
Yes, 295mm is too large. The diameter inside the “lip” is just shy of 290mm.

daytona600

Funk APM : GL602

If you want to enter the rabbit hole of turntables upgrades Cartridges/mats etc
Actually cheaper to buy the model up the range
Eg SL1200GR2direc t_drive_turntable_system_sl_1200gr2-k_4_fin.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you nopiano, the deck is fitted with a thick rubber mat. I guess that I’m interested to know if there any sonic differences using a cork mat ( positives or negative). Yes, I realise that there may be a VTA issue but this deck can accommodate any required adjustment.
I seriously doubt a change in mat is going to make a noticeable improvement in sound quality compared to paying out to upgrade the cartridge itself but don't let me put you off trying. You obviously understand that a change in VTA will obviously effect the sound more than what your vinyl is obviously sitting on which is good but if you are expecting huge improvements I would save your money and buy more vinyl.....

Reactions: Wylor and WayneKerr
If the adjustment can cope, a cork mat on top of the rubber one isn’t unheard of. I’ve left mine standard, but the Collaro mats looks nice.

Reactions: Wylor

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
I seriously doubt a change in mat is going to make a noticeable improvement in sound quality compared to paying out to upgrade the cartridge itself but don't let me put you off trying. You obviously understand that a change in VTA will obviously effect the sound more than what your vinyl is obviously sitting on which is good but if you are expecting huge improvements I would save your money and buy more vinyl.....
Hi and thank you for your input. I have already upgraded the cartridge from the stock 2M Red to an AT-VM95ML from my other turntable and was just curious about a cork mat on this TT. Don’t get me started on buying vinyl…… the industry has some pretty bad quality issues. I seem to return 1 out of 3 or 4 albums due to quality issues.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Hi and thank you for your input. I have already upgraded the cartridge from the stock 2M Red to an AT-VM95ML from my other turntable and was just curious about a cork mat on this TT. Don’t get me started on buying vinyl…… the industry has some pretty bad quality issues. I seem to return 1 out of 3 or 4 albums due to quality issues.
Wow, that is shocking, I haven't had to return one LP I’ve bought new, I had an issue with a couple of £4 specials bought from a second hand shop but otherwise all is good.

Care to start a thread and share some of these quality issues?

Wylor

Nov 17, 2023
Visit site
Wow, that is shocking, I haven't had to return one LP I’ve bought new, I had an issue with a couple of £4 specials bought from a second hand shop but otherwise all is good.

Care to start a thread and share some of these quality issues?
Hi Oxfordian,

Perhaps next time I encounter a bad ‘un, I’ll start a thread ……. But some recent examples :-
It took me three attempts to get a playable copy of “The Nightfly” (Donald Fagen), “Brothers in Arms” (Dire Straits)……..I’ve actually given up on for the moment as the pressings were sonically so bad. The beautifully recorded/produced “Morning Phase” (Beck) ……still punctuated by clicks and pops in spite of several cleans.

Albums are not cheap and some pressing plants seem to be better than others. I’m trying to keep a mental note of the ones that in my mind are not so good. Given the cost of albums, I think that we should expect a better standard from the industry and not be expected to pay £150+ for Mofi or other exotic playable products. One hears of how wonderful Japanese pressings of various albums are……. it’s do-able, so shouldn’t we all expect this level?

Last edited:
But some recent examples :-
It took me three attempts to get a playable copy of “The Nightfly” (Donald Fagen), “Brothers in Arms” (Dire Straights)….. I’ve actually given up on for the moment as the pressings were sonically so bad
I’m lucky to have original pressings of these two. I can’t bring myself to buy new LPs of music recorded this decade, as it’s surely better replayed from something closer to the master recording, that is by streaming?

But that’s a whole other debate!

Reactions: Al ears and Wylor

daytona600

Albums are not cheap and some pressing plants seem to be better than others.
Audiophile labels Only use Four pressing plants in the world & they are booked 5+ years in advance
Also Only labels to actually give a list of ingredients on the product
EU - Pallas germany , Record industry Holland
USA - QRP , RTI

gg303990677358_1.jpg

Last edited:

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I think there is fine line between pressing quality and unreasonable expectations.

I’m lucky to have original pressings of these two. I can’t bring myself to buy new LPs of music recorded this decade, as it’s surely better replayed from something closer to the master recording, that is by streaming?

But that’s a whole other debate!
Maybe, but haven't most records been digitally recorded since the 70s and pretty much common place from the 80's?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb32bj0XmW8

A lot of the audiophile favourites touted as analogue derive from a digital process. go figure.
Digital within the vinyl landscape has a pretty interesting history.

To be fair most of mine are taken from the original, and note the meaning of the word, master tape.
This tape is analogue.
There are obviously incidences where this tape, due to its age, has been digitalised for a longer life span but then this is used to cut a disc, this cutting is still analogue

Oxfordian

A lot of the audiophile favourites touted as analogue derive from a digital process. go figure.
Digital within the vinyl landscape has a pretty interesting history.
I notice that Analogue Productions have announced that their latest series of audiophile records the 'Atlantic 75 Collection' will be sourced from analogue master tapes 'where possible'.

From what I understand some of the artists albums being used in this collection were recorded digitally and only a digital master file exists, so a pure analogue process is not possible.

At least these guys are being upfront about some records being an analogue copy of a digital file.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts