Technics SL-1200GR Platter Issue

Mauri

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I recently upgraded my setup by changing my old turntable (project debut iii) with a brand new Technics SL-1200GR. There have been a big improvement under every aspect, starting from the sound of course (at the moment I'm using an Ortofon 2m blue). Nevertheless, after few days, I noticed something strange in the platter, not so evident, but it seems there is a bit of wobble. For sure nothing that could affect the sound but since the table is brand new I'm wondering if this amount of wobble can be considered as a defect or it can be acceptable. Here is a video I took where you can see it https://studio.youtube.com/video/am-_FxAzbbQ/edit
Please let me know what you think about it
Thank you

abacus

You need to allow public access to the video so that we can see what is going on .

NOTE: The strobe markings can give a visual impression of a wobbling platter and this may what you are seeing.

Bill

abacus

From what I can see in the video the centre spindle does not seem to wobble and therefore I think the wobble is just an optical illusion and not actually there. (Unless it affects the sound (Close your eyes so you cannot see the plater) I wouldn’t worry)

Bill

Reactions: Mauri

Mauri

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
the thing that make me wonder is that if you check the last part of the video you can see the relative distance between the platter upper plane and the wire (which is still) that changes a bit along with the angular position
...I know that the (perfect) 0 tolerance doesn't exist in mechanics but I'm just wondering which would be the right tolerance for a turntable like this one

Last edited:

Mauri

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Why should i? Vinyls always (or almost) have a certain grade of irregularity, often far worst than the platter, but the arm is designed to move and follow the "wave"

abacus

A wobble is not the same as an off centre or warped disc and arm movement cannot compensate for it. (The level of the platter changes and it will also cause rumble from the spindle to be transmitted to the cartridge)

Concentrate on the spindle, if this doesn’t move as its rotating then you are good to go. (You can also gentle try and move the spindle (With the turntable off) to see if there is any play in the bearing)

Bill

Reactions: Mauri

Mauri

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
Yeah the spindle seems still to me, and with no issue, maybe it's just a manufacturing tolerance on the planarity of the platter which cause a bit of deviation on the outer edge of the platter
Thank you
Mauri

Friesiansam

I watched the video carefully and I can see what you are talking about, however, if there is no audible detrimental effect, I don't think you should worry about it. Having said that, I would expect better build quality from a £1000+ turntable.

Mauri

Dec 25, 2021
Visit site
I watched the video carefully and I can see what you are talking about, however, if there is no audible detrimental effect, I don't think you should worry about it. Having said that, I would expect better build quality from a £1000+ turntable.
Yeah, that's true, however, a bit of tolerance must be there. Here is a video with a measurement made on a 1200G (£3500+ turntable) and there is an error of 0.0135inches (or 0,35mm) which seems to be fair to me. No idea on how much is on mine since I don't have the instrument but I`m wondering on which is the acceptable tolerance for Technics
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1IubWC7sQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts