Sound Distortion - Help Needed Please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Something is definitely amiss with the 1042, I have no idea what it might be but a damaged stylus could well be the issue. I will be having a chat with the store and finding out what their thoughts are on the issue later today, will update in due course.
I don't really understand what the store can tell you in a chat.

You need to examine it closely, for obvious signs of trouble.

Is the cantilever straight, is the stylus pointing in the right direction?.....

Oxfordian

I don't really understand what the store can tell you in a chat.

You need to examine it closely, for obvious signs of trouble.

Is the cantilever straight, is the stylus pointing in the right direction?.....
The store has told me that they need me to send the deck back so that they can examine it and work out what is wrong, whether it is a damaged cartridge, damaged stylus, incorrect installation, etc etc,. Equally they understand that the cost of sending the deck to them isn't economically viable so they will look at it when I next go up to visit the family.

They have apologised for the situation as they were the ones who encouraged me to go for a Goldring or Ortofon rather than the Rega Exact.

For now I am back listening to my vinyl and that will do for now.

The store has told me that they need me to send the deck back so that they can examine it and work out what is wrong, whether it is a damaged cartridge, damaged stylus, incorrect installation, etc etc,. Equally they understand that the cost of sending the deck to them isn't economically viable so they will look at it when I next go up to visit the family.

They have apologised for the situation as they were the ones who encouraged me to go for a Goldring or Ortofon rather than the Rega Exact.

For now I am back listening to my vinyl and that will do for now.
With all respect to them, it’s pretty obvious if the distortion has gone by reverting to the Rega cartridge it’s nothing to do with the deck! For heaven’s sake, where do these shop folk come from?!

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Goldring was working ok for you - before you made some changes.

If that's true, I wonder what they're apologising for.

Nice of them to apologise, but what have they done wrong?
If they'd have let you have have the Rega Exact....that might have been what (potentially) got damaged after your cleanup - rather than the Goldring.

Hope you get sorted out one way or another 👍

Oxfordian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Goldring was working ok for you - before you made some changes.

If that's true, I wonder what they're apologising for.

Nice of them to apologise, but what have they done wrong?
If they'd have let you have have the Rega Exact....that might have been what (potentially) got damaged after your cleanup - rather than the Goldring.

Hope you get sorted out one way or another 👍
Over the weeks since the sound went I have had a number of calls with the store, sent videos, pictures, processes to verify that nothing was amiss.

My gut feeling is that something has failed within the cartridge but I am far from being an expert on these things, and this may not actually be possible.

I am confident that nothing that I have done has caused the problem, if I can replace the Goldring with the Elys and have the deck sounding good then I can’t see that the changes I made in my listening room should have caused a problem.

The store is sorry that the 1042 isn’t working as it should, they don’t want their customer having to make a backward step as it may stop them wanting to upgrade or change other parts of their system in the future, and clearly they would like me to buy future purchases from them.

It is disappointing that the upgrade that I had in place appears to have gone wrong but I will get to the root of the problem, for now I am content to at least be able to listen to my vinyl.

Reactions: Gray and nopiano

DCarmi

The store is sorry that the 1042 isn’t working as it should, they don’t want their customer having to make a backward step as it may stop them wanting to upgrade or change other parts of their system in the future, and clearly they would like me to buy future purchases from them.
If they are really sorry then could they not test the cartridge for you? Surely the thing is still under warranty?

Reactions: Oxfordian

WayneKerr

Though I try to purchase from bricks and mortar shops I don't think I've ever once put myself in the hands of a hifi retailer to assist me with choosing a system or upgrade. If I have a purchase in mind I generally read copious reviews, both professional and owner, consult forums for opinions then walk in and purchase. My local store is SSAV.

When I first got my Harbeth's I experienced what I 'thought' to be an issue with their room interaction, I asked the guys at my shop for their opinion and was told rear-ported KEF LS50's would be an improvement! This year I bought some HD800S headphones from them and said I might be back next year for a head amp, they tried to steer me towards the Naim Uniti Atom! In the end with the help of a forum member and reviews I opted for a Topping at a quarter of the price. At my local store they are also very much cable believers.

I like my local store and if possible would always purchase from them to keep them open, but I would never put myself in their hands, they are cracking guys but in the end they are just salesmen.

Oxfordian

Though I try to purchase from bricks and mortar shops I don't think I've ever once put myself in the hands of a hifi retailer to assist me with choosing a system or upgrade. If I have a purchase in mind I generally read copious reviews, both professional and owner, consult forums for opinions then walk in and purchase. My local store is SSAV.

When I first got my Harbeth's I experienced what I 'thought' to be an issue with their room interaction, I asked the guys at my shop for their opinion and was told rear-ported KEF LS50's would be an improvement! This year I bought some HD800S headphones from them and said I might be back next year for a head amp, they tried to steer me towards the Naim Uniti Atom! In the end with the help of a forum member and reviews I opted for a Topping at a quarter of the price. At my local store they are also very much cable believers.

I like my local store and if possible would always purchase from them to keep them open, but I would never put myself in their hands, they are cracking guys but in the end they are just salesmen.

I am very happy with the store, they did lend me every bit of kit that I currently own to try out at home, I had quite a few bits of kit on trial before I settled on my final choices.

The guys in the store also made a few home visits to help with placement and give me tips on getting the most out of my purchases. So to be fair to them they have done everything they can to assist me in my journey.

It is easy to buy off the net and ignore those who run the bricks and motor outlets that give us the inspiration in the first place, but I think that these guys are pretty genuine and want me to enjoy the listening experience, and of course they would prefer that I spent a bit more each time.

Why the sound has gone the way it has is just bizarre, I am not aware of knocking the stylus, or cartridge in a way that could cause damage, everything looked just fine.

Oh, and just for the record they are fans of cables.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr

Oxfordian

If they are really sorry then could they not test the cartridge for you? Surely the thing is still under warranty?
I am sending them the cartridge to test out at the store, they are going to check it over and test it out on the store's P3. If they cannot find anything wrong then when I next visit the family i'll drop in with my P3 and have it re-installed and listen to it before I leave.

If it's faulty and not through inflicted damage then they will deal with that accordingly, if I have damaged in some way it then I'll have to decide what to do, depending on where the issue is.

The difficulty is that I no live round the corner so I cannot just pop in, the cost of shipping the deck to them was just frightening and I am not heading up to see the family until 2024, so for now its a factory spec P3 that I am enjoying listening to.

TRENDING THREADS