Question Record stabilizer weight t or clamp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Bought one and it was delivered last week, it is great, my vinyl is static free, is it the best thing in the world by getting my vinyl click and pop free? No, cleaner yes but not squeaky clean, but I have only cleaned a few LP's so far and still trying to work out how to get the best out of the cleaner.
I don't believe that static is stored within a vinyl LP, it is generated at some point by our actions. Obviously a wet clean will clear any static as it is discharged into the fluid.
Keeping LPs clean and housed in the correct inner sleeves helps but simply taking it out of said sleeve can induce static.
It may be that static can be held in the platter of a turntable, I am no physicist, but the glass platter of my old Planar 3 used to be a swine.....

Oxfordian

I don't believe that static is stored within a vinyl LP, it is generated at some point by our actions. Obviously a wet clean will clear any static as it is discharged into the fluid.
Keeping LPs clean and housed in the correct inner sleeves helps but simply taking it out of said sleeve can induce static.
It may be that static can be held in the platter of a turntable, I am no physicist, but the glass platter of my old Planar 3 used to be a swine.....
Other than the new cartridge I added a few weeks back my P3 is standard including the good old felt mat, it is very noticeable that any record played that hasn’t been wet cleaned picks up dust like crazy, I often have to abandon playing side 2 as the visible dust is horrendous and just won’t clear with a carbon brush, but if the LP has had a wash dust pick up is minimal.

Everything we do creates static, just walking across your floor to the TT creates static, we are very much creators of static and the materials in our houses don’t help the situation. I often wonder if we shouldn’t earth ourselves like computer technicians do when working on the insides of our electronic devices.

If our anti stat sleeves are working shouldn’t the removal of the LP from the sleeve be static free? Otherwise what is their purpose?

Other than the new cartridge I added a few weeks back my P3 is standard including the good old felt mat, it is very noticeable that any record played that hasn’t been wet cleaned picks up dust like crazy, I often have to abandon playing side 2 as the visible dust is horrendous and just won’t clear with a carbon brush, but if the LP has had a wash dust pick up is minimal.

Everything we do creates static, just walking across your floor to the TT creates static, we are very much creators of static and the materials in our houses don’t help the situation. I often wonder if we shouldn’t earth ourselves like computer technicians do when working on the insides of our electronic devices.

If our anti stat sleeves are working shouldn’t the removal of the LP from the sleeve be static free? Otherwise what is their purpose?
What sort of humidity level is near your turntable, do you know? I have a little hygrometer nearby, and am a great believer in a source of ‘dampness’ nearby. That might be a well-watered pot plant, or even a little sponge in a pot of water. Mine is on 58% tonight.

Luckily I’ve never had a serious static problem, and I was never persuaded that Zerostat guns helped. They did do something, but not helpfully I found. (They were used in the Hifi shop, but I never bothered at home).

I definitely agree that clothing with artificial fibres can be an issue. Maybe going barefoot and standing in a bowl of water would help! Just adds to the ritual fun of playing an LP! 😗

Reactions: Oxfordian

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have the VC-E... I could not see the point in getting the VC-S model as the componentry is essentially the same. And it does the job.... The larger machine is probably intended for people with vast record collections. The waste tank is also larger in the VC-S. That said, even after a couple of dozen records cleaned on the VC-E, I've not had to drain it. The ater simply evaporates...
One thing to remember is to apply the fluid to the record, brush it in using the excellent goat hair brush and then let it stand for a couple of minutes before vacuuming it off...

Anti static sleeves should work but, as you say, we are generating static ourselves so it can transfer to the LP after removal from the sleeve.
I find a carbon fibre brush works wonders and haven't had a serious static problem since I got one and got rid of the Planar 3

camcroft

Anti static sleeves should work but, as you say, we are generating static ourselves so it can transfer to the LP after removal from the sleeve.
I find a carbon fibre brush works wonders and haven't had a serious static problem since I got one and got rid of the Planar 3
The best thing that I have found for bad static and bad scratches is and it eradicates the problem completely.61ArLb+hecL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oxfordian

What sort of humidity level is near your turntable, do you know? I have a little hygrometer nearby, and am a great believer in a source of ‘dampness’ nearby. That might be a well-watered pot plant, or even a little sponge in a pot of water. Mine is on 58% tonight.

Luckily I’ve never had a serious static problem, and I was never persuaded that Zerostat guns helped. They did do something, but not helpfully I found. (They were used in the Hifi shop, but I never bothered at home).

I definitely agree that clothing with artificial fibres can be an issue. Maybe going barefoot and standing in a bowl of water would help! Just adds to the ritual fun of playing an LP! 😗
No idea what the humidity level is but I do have well watered plants in the room.

Unsure if standing in water whilst using electrical equipment is a good idea though..............

Oxfordian

My Planar 3 will be departing the listening room at some point, still contemplating alternatives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts