Question Seeking Help with Turntable Issue - Arm Skips at Record Start

benoa

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Hey fellow vinyl enthusiasts,

I hope you're all having a great time enjoying your music on your turntables. I'm here seeking some advice and solutions for a recurring issue I've been facing with my turntable setup.
I own a Triangle Pro-Ject and while I absolutely love the warm sound it delivers,

This one : https://www.trianglehifi.fr/products/platine-vinyle-triangle-by-pro-ject

I've been dealing with a frustrating problem. Whenever I try to play a record, the tonearm skips aggressively at the beginning of the record, right at the lead-in groove. It's been a real challenge, and I'm hoping some of you might have encountered this before and could offer some insights.
I've spent a considerable amount of time adjusting the counterweight, making sure the tonearm is balanced, and tweaking the tracking force to achieve optimal settings. Unfortunately, no matter what I try, the arm keeps jumping at the start, which not only hampers the audio quality but also poses a risk of damaging my beloved vinyl collection.

For the past 2 months, Triangle's customer support has been observing the issue (which occurs one in every five times), but Pro-Ject insists that it doesn't affect the listening experience and attributes it to the record.

It's truly a deplorable experience.
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Best regards,

How exactly are you checking the actual tracking force?
Are you putting the stylus down at the start of the track or on the very edge of the LP so it has to run the complete lead-in section?
Try to get stylus down at the very start of the track.

Reactions: nopiano
Are you putting the stylus down at the start of the rack or on the very edge of the LP so it has to run the complete lead-in section?
That said, it should not be skipping at all as this will eventually damage the stylus potentially.
If the tracking weight and anti-skate are as the manufacturers state then ask for a replacement as it is not the vinyl causing the issue.

Reactions: Clarkey_71

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
For the past 2 months, Triangle's customer support has been observing the issue (which occurs one in every five times), but Pro-Ject insists that it doesn't affect the listening experience and attributes it to the record.

Just out of interest, does it skip one in five times with a particular record or just with any record you choose to play?
Also, how long has it been doing this? Has it got worse over time?
Finally, I know you mention you've tried to tweak the tracking force etc, but are you using scales to do this?

Are you putting the stylus down at the start of the rack or on the very edge of the LP so it has to run the complete lead-in section?
Try to get stylus down at the very start of the track.
Yes, if the lead-in zone is say 6mm, the stylus needs to land within 3mm or closer to the start of the music. Further out and it can catch the lip of the record and then skip inwards.

benoa

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
My turntable was at Triangle, they saw the issue, and they asked Pro-Ject (the manufacturer of the turntable); for them, it comes from the record, so the turntable is not faulty.
However, I have many records that 'slip' only on this turntable.

My turntable was at Triangle, they saw the issue, and they asked Pro-Ject (the manufacturer of the turntable); for them, it comes from the record, so the turntable is not faulty.
However, I have many records that 'slip' only on this turntable.
Does the arm lifter bar** drop clear of the underside of the arm? If it doesn’t, on fractionally thinner records that might cause the arm to skip.

In which directions does it skip? Inwards towards the spindle, or outwards off the record?

benoa

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
"In which directions does it skip? Inwards towards the spindle, or outwards off the record?"
- Inwards
I will make a video when I receive my turntable.

benoa

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
I have this answer from Triangle, it's unbelievable!

Indeed, I have completed all my tests, and the conclusion is that your turntable is not faulty.

To put it simply, your vinyl 'skips' even on brand-new turntables of the same make and model. What's even more surprising to me is that the new turntable exhibited the same behavior on the test records we have here in our facilities. It's a minor issue that we have reported to the manufacturer.

They say it's due to the vinyl's manufacturing, and it depends on various factors like the speed at which the stylus lands on the vinyl, whether it's on a groove or not, and so on.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do for your specific product.

Based on my personal findings, it's best not to place the stylus on the 'smooth' part of the vinyl but rather directly at the beginning of the music, and you won't experience the issue.

I hope you understand my response; I've conducted tests and reached out to the manufacturer, but I can't do more than that.

Regarding a comment you made about the remote control, if you're experiencing difficulties, I can send you a new one with the product.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Gray

I have this answer from Triangle, it's unbelievable!
When I worked in a service department, with poor products, we would write 'operating to the manufacturers standard' on the repair sheet.
He's done the equivalent.

His mention of your vinyl is irrelevant - since his test vinyl has exhibited the same issue (and with another TT).

The ball is in your court.
I'm guessing that the manufacturer will agree with you that it's not a minor issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts