Question Record stabilizer weight t or clamp

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Hi there, fellow HiFi enthusiast,

Let me introduce you to my current system: Technics C1500 turntable with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, MF M6si amplifier, and MOON 11OLP V2 phono.

At present, I'm using an inexpensive clamp to stabilise my records. However, I recently purchased a 480-gram aluminium record weight in an attempt to squeeze every bit of performance from my turntable. My initial observations include heightened details in the mid to higher frequencies, although there seems to be no noticeable improvement in the bass—sometimes the bass quality even suffered.

I'd greatly appreciate your expertise in achieving tighter bass and an overall warmer sound. Should I consider upgrading to a premium clamp like the Pro-Ject Clamp It, or should I experiment with lighter weights, such as 180 grams?

Your insights are invaluable to me. Thank you in advances

camcroft

The guy who built my turntable also designed the weight for it. He told me only to use it on warped records otherwise don't use it. I also have a Michell record clamp which is very good basically forcing the record down on to the platter without exerting pressure on the bearing. The same clamp is recommended by lots of turntable manufacturers.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
The guy who built my turntable also designed the weight for it. He told me only to use it on warped records otherwise don't use it. I also have a Michell record clamp which is very good basically forcing the record down on to the platter without exerting pressure on the bearing. The same clamp is recommended by lots of turntable manufacturers.
Yes, my deck comes fitted with the manufacturers clamp.
I wouldn't care to replace that with a weight even though it is not a suspended subchassis type.

Reactions: camcroft

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Any suspend subchassis decks normally, as they are particularly susceptible.
The likes of Linn don't make any for their decks.
Ok. I guess we were specifically talking about clamps but what about just a stabilizing weight? I use them every time I spin a record but if it's killing the motor or the bearing I will stop... lol

Which turntables are not designed for them?
Do you mean clamps or weights. This is where the confusion may lie....
Plus you don't mention which deck you have.
Most decks should have sufficient over engineering of the motor to enable them to drive a heavier platter, they have to drive different weights of vinyl, so unless they are really cheap a sensible weight shouldn't effect the motor life too much.
That said low-torque motors may require a push start if you add too much weight.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Do you mean clamps or weights. This is where the confusion may lie....
Plus you don't mention which deck you have.
Most decks should have sufficient over engineering of the motor to enable them to drive a heavier platter, they have to drive different weights of vinyl, so unless they are really cheap a sensible weight shouldn't effect the motor life too much.
That said low-torque motors may require a push start if you add too much weight.
I have an audio technica 120... direct drive. I use a stabilizing weight on every record. I was just curious if this would harm the turntable?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I'll throw a curve ball into the mix...;)

I don't use a weight/clamp on my Rega P6.

I have tried a 450g weight, a Michell record clamp (designed for the short Rega spindle) and a rather expensive Origin Live Gravity One "weight". None of these made any audible difference to my (admittedly old) ears.

What I do have though is a high quality cork & rubber blend turntable mat that has a centre indentation for the record label. I can't remember its label but it does work. And records sit perfectly flat on the platter.

Reactions: nopiano and spl84

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I'll throw a curve ball into the mix...;)

I don't use a weight/clamp on my Rega P6.

I have tried a 450g weight, a Michell record clamp (designed for the short Rega spindle) and a rather expensive Origin Live Gravity One "weight". None of these made any audible difference to my (admittedly old) ears.

What I do have though is a high quality cork & rubber blend turntable mat that has a centre indentation for the record label. I can't remember its label but it does work. And records sit perfectly flat on the platter.
I have cork mats too and it works great but I have such a static issue that it gets stuck to the record almost everytime and I have to pry them apart. I've gotta get the static cling under control somehow!o_O

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I've not had any static issues like that... and I don't see how static can build up on a cork mat...

Perhaps you need to look at treating your records? (Thorough wet cleaning, anti-stat gun, Groove Washer?)

Reactions: spl84

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I've not had any static issues like that... and I don't see how static can build up on a cork mat...

Perhaps you need to look at treating your records? (Thorough wet cleaning, anti-stat gun, Groove Washer?)
yeah I've been looking at getting a wet cleaner like the ProJect washers. I was looking at it strictly from a cleaning perspective. Do they remove all the static? If so then maybe I should get one strictly for that purpose.

WayneKerr

yeah I've been looking at getting a wet cleaner like the ProJect washers. I was looking at it strictly from a cleaning perspective. Do they remove all the static? If so then maybe I should get one strictly for that purpose.
My old Knosti definitely did remove static, haven't used my Project one yet... I've only had it about 4 years! :)

Reactions: Al ears

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I have the Project VC-E cleaner and it does a reasonable job - but I don't think anything will completely remove static off records - particularly if they're quite old...

As a matter of course, I replace the original inner sleeves with anti-static sleeves (unless the originals are like with MFSL records). I will then wash records with the VC-E, then use Groovewasher spray and pad and finally a Zero Anti-Stat gun. Generally this regime works and there is very little static left to mar the music.

However, even following this procedure, some old and/or secondhand records remain unplayable...

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I have the Project VC-E cleaner and it does a reasonable job - but I don't think anything will completely remove static off records - particularly if they're quite old...

As a matter of course, I replace the original inner sleeves with anti-static sleeves (unless the originals are like with MFSL records). I will then wash records with the VC-E, then use Groovewasher spray and pad and finally a Zero Anti-Stat gun. Generally this regime works and there is very little static left to mar the music.

However, even following this procedure, some old and/or secondhand records remain unplayable...
So what is the difference between the vce and the vcs? I know some models have larger tanks but beyond that....

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Primarily the size of the box. The VC-S is larger. The big difference is that the exhaust air from the vacuum discharges from the side of the VC-S and from the top (under the record) on the VC-E. This a bit of a nuisance in that the moist air from the machine condenses on the underside of the record. Pro-ject do provide a clear plastic disc that eliminates the problem...

Oxfordian

Bought one and it was delivered last week, it is great, my vinyl is static free, is it the best thing in the world by getting my vinyl click and pop free? No, cleaner yes but not squeaky clean, but I have only cleaned a few LP's so far and still trying to work out how to get the best out of the cleaner.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Bought one and it was delivered last week, it is great, my vinyl is static free, is it the best thing in the world by getting my vinyl click and pop free? No, cleaner yes but not squeaky clean, but I have only cleaned a few LP's so far and still trying to work out how to get the best out of the cleaner.
What model did you get?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts