Treating my wife this Christmas

insider9

I'm feeling in the Christmas mood and thought that my wife deserves to be spoiled a little. I'm concerned that whenever I listen to music in my first floor listening room I'm disturbing her downstairs. So I'm considering treating her this Christmas to some speaker isolation platforms. This way the amount of sound transferred to the floor would be reduced, allowing her to relax more.

I've read that it may have an unintended yet welcome effect on bass quality in my room but that's just one of those happy coincidences that happen when you're a caring husband. There are also reports that it could improve stereo imaging but that's the risk I'm willing to take. It wouldn't be Christmas after all if we didn't do something selfless and kind to others.

My only concern is that I'm not sure she will like the look of it or the name for that matter. I thought about Auralex Great Gramma. I guess it should be ok if she'll get the most benefit being in another room.

Do you guys (not aware of girls here but please chip in) think it's a good idea and will provide benefits described above? I bought her things like games consoles, car radios, coffee makers etc. she didn't like before so want this one work as intended.

jjbomber

insider9 said:
I'm feeling in the Christmas mood and thought that my wife deserves to be spoiled a little. I'm concerned that whenever I listen to music in my first floor listening room I'm disturbing her downstairs. So I'm considering treating her this Christmas to some speaker isolation platforms. This way the amount of sound transferred to the floor would be reduced, allowing her to relax more.

Do you guys (not aware of girls here but please chip in) think it's a good idea and will provide benefits described above? I bought her things like games consoles, car radios, coffee makers etc. she didn't like before so want this one work as intended.

Far too selfish, as it's Christmas. I think you need to buy some headphones as well, something like the P9 Signature ones from Bowers and Wilkins. You can wear these to make sure your wife has perfect peace and quiet. I know £700 is a lot of money but your wife is worth it. Go on, spoil her.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You should always buy your wife some jewelry, always gets the best response. Discus practical presents all you want but what she really wants is some bling.

Unless of course you never buy her such things, in which case it will backfire as she will assume you have been up to no good.

insider9

davedotco said:
You should always buy your wife some jewelry, always gets the best response. Discus practical presents all you want but what she really wants is some bling.

Unless of course you never buy her such things, in which case it will backfire as she will assume you have been up to no good.

Maybe I just want to get even for bath salts and candles she got me last Christmas ;)

jjbomber said:
insider9 said:

Far too selfish, as it's Christmas. I think you need to buy some headphones as well, something like the P9 Signature ones from Bowers and Wilkins. You can wear these to make sure your wife has perfect peace and quiet. I know £700 is a lot of money but your wife is worth it. Go on, spoil her.

+1. It's the way to go.

davedotco said:

I find with discus things get out of hand too quickly. ;-)

Samd

Al ears said:
davedotco said:

I find with discus things get out of hand too quickly. ;-)

Yep - much better to throw the hammer

Samd

insider9 said:

I've read that it may have an unintended yet welcome effect on bass quality in my room but that's just one of those happy coincidences that happen when you're a caring husband. There are also reports that it could improve stereo imaging but that's the risk I'm willing to take. It wouldn't be Christmas after all if we didn't do something selfless and kind to others.

My only concern is that I'm not sure she will like the look of it or the name for that matter. I thought about Auralex Great Gramma. I guess it should be ok if she'll get the most benefit being in another room.

I have to say that I don't think my music would disturb my wife's 'downstairs'!!

insider9

Samd said:
insider9 said:

I have to say that I don't think my music would disturb my wife's 'downstairs'!!
Haha!!!

Try Ornette Coleman and see what happens.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
davedotco said:
You should always buy your wife some jewelry,

Especially diamonds. I hear Bowers & Wilkins make some nice ones.

Or maybe this...

Topclass(006).jpg

Nice diamond set off with blue lapis lazuli.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:

I litteraly spit a mouthful of cocoa all over the desk. Thanks.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:

I litteraly spit a mouthful of cocoa all over the desk. Thanks.

insider9

Vladimir said:
insider9 said:

I litteraly spit a mouthful of cocoa all over the desk. Thanks.
*biggrin*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Nothing does Xmas presents like speaker isolation platforms. Lol. My dad once bought my mum a cement mixer as her present as a joke when they were building their extension.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Very classy. Looks like something from ratners. - ‘they only sell cr-p’

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:

If you really loved her then you would get her a pair of Townshend platforms. ...and we ain’t talkin’ shoes!

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-vibration-isolation-speaker-podiums/

insider9

Townshend would be great but Auralex is 1/10th of a cost. Like with all of this kind of products I'm a sceptic but willing to try.

Quest, love the story. If I got her a cement mixer, my remains would be found in it the next morning :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts