Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
This is my current Main System
Rega planar 1 At VM95ML Rega Fono mini, Nad C521 bee
Marantz NR1200
Focal 714s Yamaha Ns sw050 sub
Synology Nas, Tidal hifi subscription
Samsung S22 Ultra,

I live in a semi detached house and my wife has tinnitus (from 100's of loud rock concerts🙄)
Those lovely floor standers don't get much of a run out these days, I like it loud but can hardly ever turn up above 5 on my amp, never mind 11.
I'm wondering whether to keep the Rega TT, sell the rest of the boxes and go for something like

KEF LS50 Wireless II.​

Bonus is I get rid of loads of wiring, boxes etc but will I he happy with the sound??
Is it worth a demo at Richer Sounds?
Or is it pie in the sky that I'll be anywhere near happy?
The speakers and boxes probably would bring in £700 upwards.
The idea that I'm never gonna be able to have a good blast anymore and the space saving and room redesign I'll be able to carry out seems to lead me towards doing something like this.
Worth a dabble?
Will it sound nice remembering I'm never gonna be razzing it?
Ideas folks

Reactions: Oxfordian

gasolin

Audiolab Omnia has it all for £799

Speakers mabye Q A coustics 3030i £249

Stands £179 https://petertyson.co.uk/q-acoustics-3000i-stands

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Audiolab Omnia has it all for £799

Speakers mabye Q A coustics 3030i £249

Stands £179 https://petertyson.co.uk/q-acoustics-3000i-stands
Gotta be honest , CD doesn't interest me any more, i never use my player,
The omnia is still a box!!!
Not sure about the benefit over my NR1200
and my wife or me for that matter cannot live with the QA's looks or dimensions.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Marantz NR1200
Samsung S22 Ultra,

I live in a semi detached house and my wife has tinnitus (from 100's of loud rock concerts🙄)
Those lovely floor standers don't get much of a run out these days, I like it loud but can hardly ever turn up above 5 on my amp, never mind 11.
I'm wondering whether to keep the Rega TT, sell the rest of the boxes and go for something like

KEF LS50 Wireless II.​

Bonus is I get rid of loads of wiring, boxes etc but will I he happy with the sound??
The idea that I'm never gonna be able to have a good blast anymore and the space saving and room redesign I'll be able to carry out seems to lead me towards doing something like this.
Worth a dabble?
Ideas folks
Do you really get rid of loads wiring? the cable vomit can be pretty horrendous on the ls50 wireless and can be more of pig to connect to not mention harder to control and hide depending on the stands used.

Just food for thought

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you really get rid of loads wiring? the cable vomit can be pretty horrendous on the ls50 wireless and can be more of pig to connect to not mention harder to control and hide depending on the stands used.

Just food for thought
Yeah I wondered about that.
Food for thought indeed.
Also not sure I could live with what I expect would be a bass light system, even though I don't get many opportunities to experience the bass at the moment (wife, neighbours etc🙄)

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I would try it and see how I would get along. I've tried a similar approach some 15 to 10 years ago and it didn't work for me at all. But then again I went with a set of one of the better Edifier powered speakers that should be miles away (in the wrong direction) from the KEFs.

To me the problem with powered speakers is that if latter you want to correct something with some upgrade, you can't. But then again, I'm still trying to get to the place I was when I sold my vintage Pioneer amp and speakers, so changing things around is more important to me.

If you like the KEFs in the shop, see if they let you try them at home, that was also a mistake I've made. Things might sound very different at your place.

Witterings

I'd definitely home trial before making a commitment, if you currently have floorstanders that you like, changing for smaller speakers may well sound .... smaller ... especially if you're losing the sub as well.

I was recently messing with different speakers in my room where I have floorstanders and dragged in some bookshelves, they sounded "nice" but just didn't have the presence.

You may end up wishing you'd done it ages ago or you may end up keeping the sub but I'd definitely give it a decent home trial first.

Reactions: jonboywalton75

Oxfordian

Marantz NR1200
Samsung S22 Ultra,

KEF LS50 Wireless II.​

Worth a dabble?
Ideas folks
This is a damn good question, like you I live in a semi so have the neighbour factor to take into account. Whilst I don't have Tinnitus to take into account I am not person who has the music beyond above 6/10.

My system currently lives in the spare bedroom but we are fortunate that we have both an open plan family room and a separate lounge, Mrs Oxfordian is keen that I move the music into the lounge as it would be good to be able to enjoy the music together. The one condition is that the system must not take over the lounge but be discrete and fit in with the decor.

Thinking this through any thoughts of TT/Phono stage/Power supply/CDT/Pre-amps/Power amp/ Streamer on a big rack in the lounge are clearly going to be a big no no. As a result in my mind I see my system of the future as a TT connected to a one box CD/DAC/Streamer then out to a pair of speakers.

At the moment I haven't considered a wireless set-up but it is an option, for the moment I will stick with a traditional wired set-up and top of my audition list is a Naim Uniti Star, but there are other boxes that I want to look at as well.

Hope it works out for you.

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I would try it and see how I would get along. I've tried a similar approach some 15 to 10 years ago and it didn't work for me at all. But then again I went with a set of one of the better Edifier powered speakers that should be miles away (in the wrong direction) from the KEFs.

To me the problem with powered speakers is that if latter you want to correct something with some upgrade, you can't. But then again, I'm still trying to get to the place I was when I sold my vintage Pioneer amp and speakers, so changing things around is more important to me.

If you like the KEFs in the shop, see if they let you try them at home, that was also a mistake I've made. Things might sound very different at your place.
Cheers, if a demo tells me what I expect from the kefs (Bass lite) everything else will be irrelevant eh😁
This is a damn good question, like you I live in a semi so have the neighbour factor to take into account. Whilst I don't have Tinnitus to take into account I am not person who has the music beyond above 6/10.

My system currently lives in the spare bedroom but we are fortunate that we have both an open plan family room and a separate lounge, Mrs Oxfordian is keen that I move the music into the lounge as it would be good to be able to enjoy the music together. The one condition is that the system must not take over the lounge but be discrete and fit in with the decor.

Thinking this through any thoughts of TT/Phono stage/Power supply/CDT/Pre-amps/Power amp/ Streamer on a big rack in the lounge are clearly going to be a big no no. As a result in my mind I see my system of the future as a TT connected to a one box CD/DAC/Streamer then out to a pair of speakers.

At the moment I haven't considered a wireless set-up but it is an option, for the moment I will stick with a traditional wired set-up and top of my audition list is a Naim Uniti Star, but there are other boxes that I want to look at as well.

Hope it works out for you.
I don't know how I get away with the stuff I've got in our living room, I was thinking of simplifying /down sizing but maybe I'd miss my floorstanders etc

Attachments

• 1000018902.jpg
    1000018902.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: twinkletoes

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I hadn't noticed you had floorstanders. I think the Q Acoustics Q Active 400 are around the price of the KEFs but they are floorstanders and supposedly pretty good. They should take the same amount of space of the KEFs on stands, so maybe check those out too...

gasolin

I hadn't noticed you had floorstanders. I think the Q Acoustics Q Active 400 are around the price of the KEFs but they are floorstanders and supposedly pretty good. They should take the same amount of space of the KEFs on stands, so maybe check those out too...

I thought he wanted to downsize and £1800 is pretty expensive

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I've read some Kef reviews and watched YouTube stuff and a demo would interest me.
If it was me I'd have been for a demo by now and probably been considering the LS 50 2 wireless on dedicated kef stands plus kef subwoofer.
£2,700 🤔
I wouldn't blink 😂
My missus would have a different convulsion. 🤑🤮
This could be an interesting phase in my 47 year hi fi evolution, bruises withstanding 👊😂

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

TRENDING THREADS