Total beginner question...where do I start with computer based music?!

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, from reading some of the forum posts on here and reviews in the magazine I'm starting to feel like cds are a bit outdated. I just wanted some advice on where to start with playing music directly from my laptop? I have an Onkyo micro at the moment but looking to upgrade to separates, perhaps without a cd player if computer-based music is the future.

My laptop is fairly basic and I don't think it has optical outputs or anything similar - just USB or ethernet connections. I presume I need a DAC to connect to an amplifier but not sure how this will be connected? Is there some other hardware required such as a NAS drive? I've heard of these but not really sure what they do!

Also, all my music is on iTunes - would I need to convert to a different format?

Thanks

manicm

The Arcam rDac is supposed to be excellent with USB. You would simply connect PC to rDAC via USB cable, and the stereo line-outs from rDac into your amplifier using standard RCA cable.

You can use iTunes just fine. Rip in Apple Lossless, AIFF for best results.

Your laptop alone would be fine for music storage - you could attach an external USB drive as well if you have enough USB ports. A NAS drive would also be fine and is ideal if you need to share music around the house.

scene

JC1982:
Hi all, from reading some of the forum posts on here and reviews in the magazine I'm starting to feel like cds are a bit outdated. I just wanted some advice on where to start with playing music directly from my laptop? I have an Onkyo micro at the moment but looking to upgrade to separates, perhaps without a cd player if computer-based music is the future.

My laptop is fairly basic and I don't think it has optical outputs or anything similar - just USB or ethernet connections. I presume I need a DAC to connect to an amplifier but not sure how this will be connected?

You don't necessarily need a separate DAC, you can get CD players, Amps (some stereo, most AV) with built in DACs. On good starting option would be to get a DAC with a built in headphone amplifier, and a USB port, then plug your PC into that and a pair of headphones. You can get both for well under £300 total.

Sorry, to clarify, you can get DACs with USB inputs, then you simply plumb your laptop into your DAC via a USB cable.

Is there some other hardware required such as a NAS drive? I've heard of these but not really sure what they do!

No, you don't need a NAS to start of with - if you've got a big enough hard drive on your laptop and you don't mind having it switched on when playing music. A 1TB drive will hold 1,000s of CDs. A NAS is effectively a hard drive that is plugged into your network, which any other device on your network can access. That's all.

Also, all my music is on iTunes - would I need to convert to a different format?

No - you can keep your music in iTunes, but you'll want to have it ripped as Apple lossless or .WAV - otherwise you'll lose quality.

Thanks

First thing to decide is what your budget is...

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies, your advice is much appreciated and I have a much clearer idea of what I am looking at now!

I hadn't really heard much about Apple lossless but looking at the iTunes help it looks really simple to rip cds in that format rather than what I have used previously.

scene

JC1982:
Thanks very much for the replies, your advice is much appreciated and I have a much clearer idea of what I am looking at now!

Glad to be of assistance.

I hadn't really heard much about Apple lossless but looking at the iTunes help it looks really simple to rip cds in that format rather than what I have used previously.

Yes, it's just a setting in iTunes. If you've got an iPod/iPhone, and you want to synch that, you might want to check the MP3 transcode option - this means that lower quality MP3s will be created on synching, but they won't fill up your device.

Keep posting, people here are always glad to help
emotion-21.gif

iMark

If I had a laptop and no other gear I would buy the following separates.

- Decent stereo amp

- Decent tuner (possibly with DAB+)

- Decent speakers

- DAC

- Airport Express

- Decent cabling

I would also buy an external hard drive to store music and another hard drive for a backup copy. The last thing you want to do is to rerip your CDs.

Rip all CDs to Apple Lossless and enjoy them over the stereo. The best thing about the Airport Express is that your laptop doesn't have to be next to the stereo and you don't have to bother with cables. And it will work with other devices than your laptop. Other wireless solutions are available. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts