Will I benefit from a DAC on my computer?

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi I have a quick question and some related questions - will I benefit from an external DAC or a PCIe sound card on my computer for playing music? I currently have a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 Ultra motherboard. As you can see here under the audio section it says I have a Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec (not sure if this is a chip or not). It also says (not sure if this is to be trusted):
High-End WIMA & Audio Capacitors
The AORUS motherboards boast a combination of Hi-Fi grade WIMA FKP2 capacitors and high-end Chemicon audio capacitors. While the high-end audio capacitors are suited for high-grade audio equipment, using state of the art technology to provide rich sound in the bass and clearer high frequencies, the WIMA FKP2 capacitors are being used widely in premium grade Hi-Fi systems. The addition of this to the exclusive AORUS AMP-UP Audio technology makes for the ideal onboard sound solution for the most demanding audiophiles.
My budget as of now is limited (looking at ~$200 max); I was looking at the Topping E30 or E50 DACs as possibilities and also the Schiit Modi and iFi Zen V2. I've seen a lot of mentions of and praise for the Topping E series DACs and I like the display showing sampling rate and other things. Would they be significantly better than my current motherboard DAC? Would they be a great option in terms of value for money spent? Interestingly when Googling 'best DAC' the Topping E series don't show up at all in the first several pages. Would a PCIe sound card also be an option or is the DAC option better for music?

Last edited:

abacus

For most equipment that most home users connect to the computer then the onboard will be fine.
If the equipment you are connecting it too is of real high quality (Also usually expensive) then a DAC will probably give you the better quality.
Also look at pro studio equipment audio interfaces as these are designed specifically for computers and music, and are more flexible and of way better value than Hi-Fi DACs.
Ask yourself this question, Is there anything wrong with what you already have or have you just got the upgrade bug? then once you have answered this it will steer you into which direction to go.

Bill

Reactions: Symples

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi I have a quick question and some related questions - will I benefit from an external DAC or a PCIe sound card on my computer for playing music? I currently have a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra X570 Ultra motherboard. As you can see here under the audio section it says I have a Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec (not sure if this is a chip or not). It also says (not sure if this is to be trusted):

My budget as of now is limited (looking at ~$200 max); I was looking at the Topping E30 or E50 DACs as possibilities and also the Schiit Modi and iFi Zen V2. I've seen a lot of mentions of and praise for the Topping E series DACs and I like the display showing sampling rate and other things. Would they be significantly better than my current motherboard DAC? Would they be a great option in terms of value for money spent? Interestingly when Googling 'best DAC' the Topping E series don't show up at all in the first several pages. Would a PCIe sound card also be an option or is the DAC option better for music?
Any modern DAC, including the one built into your phone or wireless headphones, is far superior to the Hi-Fi standard (din45500). Therefore, there is no point in changing the DAC.

If you listen to music through headphones, I recommend that you buy a wireless model and not experience the inconvenience of wires, because sound quality includes comfort

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The problem with connecting to a computer especially a tower/desktop is the noise that the processor, graphics card, fans and what not give off. You might not notice much of up lift if any.

toslink will be your best friend if the problems above manifest themselves.

There are articals online that go into far greater detail than I can muster here.

Loads of good cheap dac about sh@t, topping, sml as long as they have the connections you need pick your poison and enjoy.

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Thanks guys... sounds like it's a little contentious whether or not to get a DAC. I'm a plant hobbyist and they always say "ask ten plant guys the same question and you get ten different answers." Ha, I found it applies to many things i.e. computer technicians, audiophiles, etc...

@abacus I currently have a pair of Pioneer DM-50D's but plan on upgrading to Audioengine A5+'s when I have the money. Does that qualify as sufficiently high quality to benefit from a DAC? Also what do you refer to when you say pro studio equipment audio interfaces?

@twinkletoes I currently use Pioneer DM-50D's and get a small of amount of hiss caused by the amp but it's only noticeable with my ear up to the speaker and if I crank the volume it doesn't increase. So the noise floor isn't significant.

abacus

@abacus I currently have a pair of Pioneer DM-50D's but plan on upgrading to Audioengine A5+'s when I have the money. Does that qualify as sufficiently high quality to benefit from a DAC? Also what do you refer to when you say pro studio equipment audio interfaces?
This site should help you here regarding audio interfaces.
If you are just connecting the speakers to the computer then all the extras like Bluetooth are just unnecessary, so a pair of active pro studio monitors would be much better. (Ideally with and audio interface BUT try the speakers on their own connected direct to the computer first to see if it gives you everything you want)
This site here will give you and idea of the type of monitors available.

Bill

Witterings

I generally don't need to wire a computer in to play music but going back a little while ago my neighbour suggested I try his USB Dragonfly DAC wired from my laptop into my stereo rather than the onboard soundcard and have to say I was completely blown away by the difference.

I also use am E30 but in a different setup with a streamer plugged into it and they're brilliant DAC's for the money, bought mine on Amazon, order one and if you don't like it send it back.

What are you trying to play from your computer, is it a streaming service, there may be better options altogether like a WiiM streamer and you can use it with your phone as well?

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
@Witterings I'm playing Tidal now. I'm very pleased with the results. I might have to try out a Topping to see how good it is. Tidal has bitperfect audio mode so don't think a streamer would be any better. I did read however that if you use Amazon Music Unlimited you need a dedicated streamer for bitperfect.

daveh75

ASR reviewed it years ago, it was found to be piss poor, bettered by it's older sibling (UCA202) and a laptops on board audio and doesn't support asynchronous USB audio

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
@abacus You sure audio interfaces are superior to DACs? Isn't the sole purpose of a DAC to render audio for the speakers while an audio interface is for producing music? I don't mean to second guess you it's just I've never heard this mentioned as consensus before.
Also any reason not to go with the Audioengine A5+? Do you think I'd be happier with one of the monitors on the page you linked to? Does it depend on my intentions?
Thanks!

@Gray Do you think the SMSL SU1 has superior audio to the Topping E30? Or is it just better bang for the buck?

abacus

@abacus You sure audio interfaces are superior to DACs? Isn't the sole purpose of a DAC to render audio for the speakers while an audio interface is for producing music? I don't mean to second guess you it's just I've never heard this mentioned as consensus before.
Also any reason not to go with the Audioengine A5+? Do you think I'd be happier with one of the monitors on the page you linked to? Does it depend on my intentions?
Thanks!

@Gray Do you think the SMSL SU1 has superior audio to the Topping E30? Or is it just better bang for the buck?
All audio interfaces have DAC as standard as they have to decode the data from the computer, the difference is that audio interfaces are designed specifically for computer use.
The best way is to try out loudspeakers as they are very personal, however not spending on things you don't need, means more can be spent on what you do need.

Bill

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
@abacus
... Also any reason not to go with the Audioengine A5+? Do you think I'd be happier with one of the monitors on the page you linked to? Does it depend on my intentions?
Thanks!

Intentions and tastes are always primary. For mine, A2+ would be a better alternative, or even some JBL 104-BTs, because my desktop intentions are modest. Heck, a Celeron chip works great on my 16GB/512GB latest Intel NUC, and its integrated Intel/HDMI and Realtek/audio jack sound are plenty for my desktop.

Of course, prices are big influencers, not to mention bragging rights, and A5+s are 25% off at Amazon today -at least in the US. Then again, they may often be 25% off, and A2+s may be as well, Enjoy your shopping and your eventual selections.

Dom

If you get a USB DAC isn't it designed for computer use though?
Of course they are. I use the gaming Creative SB G6 DAC which has been designed with sound quality in mind, it has a 32 Bit Cirrus Logic chip. They have been making audio hardware for ages including USB DAC's for computers and consoles and the G6 sounds smooth and sweet. It has won awards.

Audio interfaces on the other hand can also sound sweet but they have different strengths. They have been designed for professional audio recording which typically include features like microphone preamps, instrument inputs, MIDI connectivity, and multiple audio inputs/outputs, like the RME Babyface Pro which is a compact USB audio interface that like the G6 DAC is highly portable, and includes both mic preamps and a 24 Bit AKM chip.

I'm not sure why Bill thinks one has better sound quality than the other, maybe he is referring to software support which audio interfaces definitely have better, which is why they have better sound quality in Bill's opinion. If anything they have less sound quality due to cost cutting decisions in DAC chips and internal circuitry because of the extra connectivity and software integration.

For example, my DAC has a high quality headphone output but a lower quality mic input, where'es an audio interface might have a high quality mic input but a lower quality headphone output.

If your not going to use these features then your wasting your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

abacus

Two things here
1. There are very few Hi-Fi DACS with USB which means you have a limited choice.
2. HI-Fi is a very niche market with low numbers of production; thus, they cannot benefit from large scale production to keep costs down, whereas Audio interfaces are mass produced in enormous numbers which lowers the cost, meaning you get an equivalent or better quality of product (Even with all the extras) for less.
BTW: When producing music, a quality headphone output is as important as the microphone and line inputs.

Bill

Reactions: daveh75

Dom

Two things here
1. There are very few Hi-Fi DACS with USB which means you have a limited choice.
2. HI-Fi is a very niche market with low numbers of production; thus, they cannot benefit from large scale production to keep costs down, whereas Audio interfaces are mass produced in enormous numbers which lowers the cost, meaning you get an equivalent or better quality of product (Even with all the extras) for less.
BTW: When producing music, a quality headphone output is as important as the microphone and line inputs.

Bill
This is incorrect. Sorry.

TRENDING THREADS