Beginner audiophile looking for suggestions for used components

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpianist

My plan is to go listen to the speakers in the flesh in a store and then try to search good used deals on eBay. Do you think it's very risky buying used because I was seeing some really good prices for MA Bronze, not so much for Marantz PM6007.

You won't fin the Bronze 2s in-store because they have been discontinued for quite some time. The current Bronze 100 is quite a different speaker so won't give you enough to go on.

I can't help saying that using a retailer to try something that you will then buy secondhand is an abuse of the retailer. If everyone did that, the 'facility' would soon disappear because retailers can't run their shops without conversion to sales. Just a reminder.

Fandango Andy

You shouldn’t go far wrong with the Marantz PM6007, I am not familiar with that exact model but have an older version of a similar level and love it. Loudspeakers are a very personal choice, if you can listen before you buy its best, but remember your room will sound different.

The Monitor Audio are famously unforgiving of poor placement, but work well with lower powered amps. So you have a plus and a minus there. If you do have some placement issues, you may be able to compensate to some degree with some room treatments (but that’s a whole other rabbit hole!!!).

If you are looking on ebay you need to be patient and sensible. Some people over pay. You may get lucky and find a “collect only” listing near you. Collection only nearly always sell for less. I picked up pair of nearly new Q Acoustics 2020i (that I used as reave AV speakers) for £35 back when they were £150 new. Other were selling over £100 + postage. The other advantage of buying second hand, if you buy a decent brand for the right price you should be able to re-sell for a similar price in future.

A leftfield suggestion for speakers Mission 701 (or 702, the floor-standing sibling). They stopped making them about 20 years ago so they will be old. You used to be able to pick them up for next to nothing, but I think they have gone up in price. If they ever go wrong all the components are available to replace. The only issue with Mission speakers of that generation is the glue on the baffles can dry out causing rattle. This is easily fixed. They sound fantastic should pair well with your amp and are front ported, very forgiving of placement. The only warning they are large units.

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Just logged back after the weekend and so many replies, thank you everybody for taking the time!

@matthewpianist I realise that, my initial plan was to try multiple components like a an amp and speaker then buy one from the retailer and buy the second one used. In this way it's a compromise.

During the weekend I researched a bit more and my conclusion at the moment is to get Q Acoustics 3030i and Wiim Amp(it will be available early January). Q Acoustics because it is a good speaker for a very wide gamut of genres and will not require a seperate sub-woofer to sound good. Wiim amp because it's a good starting point getting into audiphile listening, if I don't get it then it would mean spending on an amp and some other components to get music from my server into that. I, of course realise that it's not future proof in case I want to get a phono later on and maybe its not the best quality too but as a starting point I feel it would be good enough, I also know its a new device and people are unsure about it but I am willing it give it a go because it will be the most cost-effiecient to get into listening some good quality music

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
You shouldn’t go far wrong with the Marantz PM6007, I am not familiar with that exact model but have an older version of a similar level and love it. Loudspeakers are a very personal choice, if you can listen before you buy its best, but remember your room will sound different.

The Monitor Audio are famously unforgiving of poor placement, but work well with lower powered amps. So you have a plus and a minus there. If you do have some placement issues, you may be able to compensate to some degree with some room treatments (but that’s a whole other rabbit hole!!!).

If you are looking on ebay you need to be patient and sensible. Some people over pay. You may get lucky and find a “collect only” listing near you. Collection only nearly always sell for less. I picked up pair of nearly new Q Acoustics 2020i (that I used as reave AV speakers) for £35 back when they were £150 new. Other were selling over £100 + postage. The other advantage of buying second hand, if you buy a decent brand for the right price you should be able to re-sell for a similar price in future.

A leftfield suggestion for speakers Mission 701 (or 702, the floor-standing sibling). They stopped making them about 20 years ago so they will be old. You used to be able to pick them up for next to nothing, but I think they have gone up in price. If they ever go wrong all the components are available to replace. The only issue with Mission speakers of that generation is the glue on the baffles can dry out causing rattle. This is easily fixed. They sound fantastic should pair well with your amp and are front ported, very forgiving of placement. The only warning they are large units.
I am now thinking to buy new because I am scared that I will buy something bad because I am very new to all of this and best bet is to get knew. As you mentioned I was already seeing prices around 50% less for the used speakers in my search which makes it very attractive but I very twitchy now reading the forums a bit more.

I also did see the missions, I think they won't really go well in my room. I have got many things in the room already but thank you very much for your suggestions. Let me know what you think of 3030is and how they are in terms of placement?

Fandango Andy

I am now thinking to buy new because I am scared that I will buy something bad because I am very new to all of this and best bet is to get knew. As you mentioned I was already seeing prices around 50% less for the used speakers in my search which makes it very attractive but I very twitchy now reading the forums a bit more.

I also did see the missions, I think they won't really go well in my room. I have got many things in the room already but thank you very much for your suggestions. Let me know what you think of 3030is and how they are in terms of placement?
I have no experience of that speaker, but the smaller 2020i's in my AV setup are excellent. They don't have the bottom end the 3030's will but are helped by an active sub.

I see from other responses that you are looking at a WiiM amp. The reviews are excellent. the only think I would caution against, is dipping a toe in the water. Don't buy it as a starting point with a view to upgrading soon as the original outlay will be waisted. If you are going to stick with what you buy for a reasonable time great, if its a stop gap, would you be better investing more to begin with? I am not saying you will be, but its possible, only you can decide.

If you are looking for a one box solution the following are all supposed to be excelled, although the cheapest is double the price of the Wiim, are they twice as good! Marant PM7000N, Audiolab 6000A Play, Marantz Stereo 70s.

One thing the WiiM has going for it is a simple setup and interface. Download the app and do everything from you smartphone.

record_spot

Just a personal take on this, but if you're looking to listen instore, then buy instore.

All you're doing is taking the sales person's time away from a potential sale and thus income for the shop.

I haven't listened to a demo in a store since 2011. Mostly as I prefer to listen in my own room and using gear I've either bought secondhand or on a risk free trial sourced online. I dislike wasting people's time.

And check with the sales guy if they can do anything for you and your budget. You don't ask, you won't get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts