Beginner audiophile looking for suggestions for used components

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi All, I am looking to get my first audiophile system, since I am very much a beginner I was wondering if I can get some suggestions for the proposed setup. My listening room is small around 13ft x 13ft and I am planning to use it 90% for listening to music and 10% for TV. I won't be listening at loud volumes as mine is a semi-detached property, in terms of music I mostly listen to ambient, jazz, classical and electronic but I also listen to a vast variety of other genres. My main music input will be a homeserver.

I am thinking about the following components for the system(buying used all of the components):

- Speakers: I am thinking of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 but would be great if somebody can also suggest something up-to £300 for used speakers. I am flexible on the budget for the speakers.
- Amplifier: Marantz PM6007, similar to speakers I am more than happy to get a used one which pairs well with the speaker.
- Sub-Woofer: This is something I plan to add later on. Right now I understand that BK Gemini 2 would be a good start point.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Juzzie Wuzzie

Messiah

Can get Q Acoustics 3030i for around £250 brand new and there is a very good chance you will find you do not need a sub. (Although I would suggest some decent stands).

I’m have always used a sub with stand mount speakers until I started using these.

Reactions: oriondarkred

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Thank you very much for your replies.

@Messiah
So how would the 3030i compare to MA Bronze 2s? Since I am trying to save costs and therefore primarily looking for used gear, do you think I can find something better than both in the used market? For something about under £300

@Dom thanks for the recommendation, I am planning to collect all recommendations and then go to a store to listen before I buy anything.

@matthewpianist I am glad that I wasn't completely off the mark as I am just getting into these things

As suggested I am only focusing on the speaker and amp combination but just want to keep a future option open

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
If your looking for a decent sub woofer that's easier to integrate with both line level and dedicated inputs don't look past the wharfdale SW 150.
I never bother with mine despite finding it very good at what it does in comparison to others I tried plus it's highly appraised including from what hifi themselves.
I prefer the speakers alone and tired of the windows shaking mostly with frequencies I can't hear.

I'm going to be integrating the TV into the hifi shortly so might see a use for it in movies handling sfx etc.
It's all personal preference but with hifi mine is 2 channel without adding or over emphasizing bass and lower frequencies to the music that's not off the source.
That said there is the odd exception to the rule when I switch the mixer on with hard tekno.
When matching beats etc more bass is always more fun with those types of music (obviously out of the way of the neighbor)

Reactions: oriondarkred

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
If your looking for a decent sub woofer that's easier to integrate with both line level and dedicated inputs don't look past the wharfdale SW 150.
I never bother with mine despite finding it very good at what it does in comparison to others I tried plus it's highly appraised including from what hifi themselves.
I prefer the speakers alone and tired of the windows shaking mostly with frequencies I can't hear.

I'm going to be integrating the TV into the hifi shortly so might see a use for it in movies handling sfx etc.
It's all personal preference but with hifi mine is 2 channel without adding or over emphasizing bass and lower frequencies to the music that's not off the source.
That said there is the odd exception to the rule when I switch the mixer on with hard tekno.
When matching beats etc more bass is always more fun with those types of music (obviously out of the way of the neighbor)
Apologies if its a stupid question but having dedicated inputs mean that a sub woofer can be plugged directly into the amp and that would be an amp feature? I am just learning the ropes here.

For the sub-woofer specifically, I wanted it if I felt the need for it in music I listen but as you said it also makes sense for me personally too because I do watch TV and movies and would appreciate a bit more immersiveness with the improved sound with a sub-woofer

The Marantz/MA combination you propose is a very good one, and will give you a lot of enjoyment for relatively small outlay.
I would agree, however buying second-hand is always a minefield and you really have to know what you are looking for and with speakers it's often better to actually look at them in the flesh. There is Used and there is Abused.
If you cannot then make sure you get plenty of detailed photos.
There are new speakers available for that sort of budget.

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
I would agree, however buying second-hand is always a minefield and you really have to know what you are looking for and with speakers it's often better to actually look at them in the flesh. There is Used and there is Abused.
If you cannot then make sure you get plenty of detailed photos.
There are new speakers available for that sort of budget.
My plan is to go listen to the speakers in the flesh in a store and then try to search good used deals on eBay. Do you think it's very risky buying used because I was seeing some really good prices for MA Bronze, not so much for Marantz PM6007.

My plan is to go listen to the speakers in the flesh in a store and then try to search good used deals on eBay. Do you think it's very risky buying used because I was seeing some really good prices for MA Bronze, not so much for Marantz PM6007.
Price probably reflects the age of the equipment.
The Marantz is fairly recent, the speakers could be up to five years old..

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Price probably reflects the age of the equipment.
The Marantz is fairly recent, the speakers could be up to five years old..
That makes sense, so then would it make sense to buy new Q Acoustics 3030i or buy a used MA Bronze 2? I hope you can appreciate the choice of what to buy and get and pair is pretty boggling for a new comer like myself :)

That makes sense, so then would it make sense to buy new Q Acoustics 3030i or buy a used MA Bronze 2? I hope you can appreciate the choice of what to buy and get and pair is pretty boggling for a new comer like myself :)
I think either would be very satisfactory in your listening room, personally I would go for the MA 's if they were in excellent condition.
The depth and the rear port of the Q Acoustics might make placement difficult

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
I think either would be very satisfactory in your listening room, personally I would go for the MA 's if they were in excellent condition.
The depth and the rear port of the Q Acoustics might make placement difficult
I just looked into forward and backward portedness of speakers after your comment. So MA BX2 is good in terms of placing it near to the walls as it works in my smaller living room and even the newer MA Bronze 50 and 100 are back ported so they wont be good fit if I am trying to place them nearer to the wall. Is that a correct understanding?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Apologies if its a stupid question but having dedicated inputs mean that a sub woofer can be plugged directly into the amp and that would be an amp feature? I am just learning the ropes here.

For the sub-woofer specifically, I wanted it if I felt the need for it in music I listen but as you said it also makes sense for me personally too because I do watch TV and movies and would appreciate a bit more immersiveness with the improved sound with a sub-woofer
Yes some amps have a dedicated sub woofer output but with most decent sub woofers now they have a speaker level input aswell incase the amp doesn't carry one.
A speaker level input just consists of wiring the sub woofer like you would the speakers with the same method.

It needs both left and right channels wiring to the sub woofer which does involve 4 wires as per the speakers (both negative and positive poles)
If the said amp doesn't have 4 channels (2 sets of speaker outputs usually called system A&B) you would have to share the speaker terminals on the amp with the sub woofer which in itself isn't a problem but the guage wire has to be halved to fit both in.

If it is a 4 speaker amp then one can select both systems A&B to play the sub with the speakers or just system A to play the speakers without if not wanting to have the sub woofer on.
If not you can still play just your speakers and turn on/off the sub woofer by its own power switch.
A dedicated sub woofer output on the amp sidesteps the extra wiring with one RCA cable and is far less prone to interference or the dreaded sub woofer buzz and hum.

I had the wharfdale sub woofer rigged both by speaker level inputs which worked fine although there was a slight buzz when idle and with a dedicated line in on a different amp which stopped the buzz but both ways work perfect.

Hi All, I am looking to get my first audiophile system, since I am very much a beginner I was wondering if I can get some suggestions for the proposed setup. My listening room is small around 13ft x 13ft and I am planning to use it 90% for listening to music and 10% for TV. I won't be listening at loud volumes as mine is a semi-detached property, in terms of music I mostly listen to ambient, jazz, classical and electronic but I also listen to a vast variety of other genres. My main music input will be a homeserver.

I am thinking about the following components for the system(buying used all of the components):

- Speakers: I am thinking of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 but would be great if somebody can also suggest something up-to £300 for used speakers. I am flexible on the budget for the speakers.
- Amplifier: Marantz PM6007, similar to speakers I am more than happy to get a used one which pairs well with the speaker.
- Sub-Woofer: This is something I plan to add later on. Right now I understand that BK Gemini 2 would be a good start point.

Thanks in advance
Why not explore new equipment such as these:

In particular the Cambridge amp system.

oriondarkred

Dec 7, 2023
Visit site
Why not explore new equipment such as these:

In particular the Cambridge amp system.
Thank you for the link, some really good prices there. For the one you have pointed out, I am not really looking for a turntable at the moment and I am pretty set MA Bronze or 3030i as the speaker.

Looking and reading more, it seems more and more, a sensible idea to buy the speakers new at least. I am thinking that the Hi-Fi will be a longer term investment for myself and my enjoyment so it might be better to just get new speakers and maybe look for a used amp because there is less change of abuse there.

Thank you for the link, some really good prices there. For the one you have pointed out, I am not really looking for a turntable at the moment and I am pretty set MA Bronze or 3030i as the speaker.

Looking and reading more, it seems more and more, a sensible idea to buy the speakers new at least. I am thinking that the Hi-Fi will be a longer term investment for myself and my enjoyment so it might be better to just get new speakers and maybe look for a used amp because there is less change of abuse there.
I'm sure they'll do a deal minus the turntable. At least you get a warranty as opposed to buying off auction sites.

Reactions: Revolutions

WayneKerr

Definitely agree with you regarding a turntable, I would not recommend anyone to get into vinyl now, far too expensive and you can't do it well on the cheap.

As for speakers, I agree with Al. If you need the speakers to be in close proximity to a wall then rear-ported would not be a wise move, either front-ported or sealed boxes are the way to go. Manufacturers sometimes include port-bungs but they tend to suck the life out speakers, the port is there for a reason and they need room to breath/perform their best.

Reactions: JDL and Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
FWIW my Monitor Audio silver 600s worked really well near a wall when pushed by a Marantz PM6006 UK. Swapping to the Rega Elicit forced me to get some bungs as it pushes much harder at lower volumes. Still super happy with the sound.

I think it's well worth looking into a turntable. You can get a Rega P3 for peanuts on gumtree or ebay. If you're in London, I have a P2 with an ATVMP95ML cart that is gathering dust.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS