BlueSound 4.0 OS update - a total road crash

Schafseckel

Nov 3, 2023
Visit site
So the new Bluesound 4.0 OS is a total cluster. It looks like a really badly tested piece of firmware that has not been tested properly and has been pushed out prematurely.

Following the update my Bluesound Node is unable to access my networked music library so is now useless as a network music player. Here is something equally useful:
brick.jpg

The Bluesound community forums are absolutely swamped with posts complaining about the bugs in the firmware. Some have hardware that is bricked and others have found multiple flaws in the release. It seems that Bluesound focused all their software development efforts on the new UI (which is admittedly an improvement) and not on Regression Testing. So they've successfully got their user base to do this on their behalf.

Support tickets have been raised and the stock response from Bluesound is a holding message that says:

"Our apologies - due to the overwhelming excitement over BluOS 4.0, we are seeing a higher volume of calls but have been working even harder than expected here at The Bluesound Support Crew!

So rather than make a public admission that they've screwed up and setting some realistic expectations with their customer base on their fix timelines they are coming up with this BS.

I'm not sure how large their user base is, but I feel this needs some higher exposure than just their community forums.

Anyone else having problems or am I being a bit of a drama queen expecting my networked music player to be able to access my networked music?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WayneKerr
The sort of experience that makes me glad I use a Raspberry Pi and Volumio.
Works great, but wouldn't be the end of the world if it didn't.....would probably just move to a Wiim product.
Although at this point, we don’t know if it’s something that affects all Bluesound owners, rather than just an isolated incident. I’ve not had anyone contact me yet with an issue.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
So the new Bluesound 4.0 OS is a total cluster. It looks like a really badly tested piece of firmware that has not been tested properly and has been pushed out prematurely.

Following the update my Bluesound Node is unable to access my networked music library so is now useless as a network music player. Here is something equally useful:
View attachment 5456

The Bluesound community forums are absolutely swamped with posts complaining about the bugs in the firmware. Some have hardware that is bricked and others have found multiple flaws in the release. It seems that Bluesound focused all their software development efforts on the new UI (which is admittedly an improvement) and not on Regression Testing. So they've successfully got their user base to do this on their behalf.

Support tickets have been raised and the stock response from Bluesound is a holding message that says:

"Our apologies - due to the overwhelming excitement over BluOS 4.0, we are seeing a higher volume of calls but have been working even harder than expected here at The Bluesound Support Crew!

So rather than make a public admission that they've screwed up and setting some realistic expectations with their customer base on their fix timelines they are coming up with this BS.

I'm not sure how large their user base is, but I feel this needs some higher exposure than just their community forums.

Anyone else having problems or am I being a bit of a drama queen expecting my networked music player to be able to access my networked music?
Although at this point, we don’t know if it’s something that affects all Bluesound owners, rather than just an isolated incident. I’ve not had anyone contact me yet with an issue.
All mine updated fine

Reactions: davidf

Schafseckel

Nov 3, 2023
Visit site
If you look at the BlueSound community / forums you can see it's far from an isolated incident.

nads

Mine works just the same as before.

Still some features it is missing that I would like to see.

most of the issues I have seen seem to be people not reading the release notes.

KevinM

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
Thought my speakers had developed a fault. Awful treble distortion, increased volume and general fuzziness.

It took me at least ten hours, including time spent speaking without success to Monitor Audio and Apple, to look again and question a device named NodeBT that had appeared in my iPhone settings.

I asked my iPhone to forget NodeBT and found a setting in the Bluesound app that allowed me to switch off Bluetooth.

Problem solved.

Haven't proved it (coz I'm not going to have anything to do with the Bluesound app again) but I think that, in effect, I was sending music from my iPhone music player by both Bluetooth and Airplay.

TRENDING THREADS