Bluesound: does one still need a CD player?

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have been spending quite some time looking into different music streamer options, and have become intrigued by Bluesound – the Node 2 (£500) and the Vault 2 (£1,100). These two are reviewed incredibly well across different outlets. Apparently, not only do they deliver convenience but also superb sound.

From a convenience point of view, the Vault with in-built CD ripper (for “lossless” files) and 2 TB storage seems very attractive – put your CD collection into a little box, and no more need to get up from the sofa… ;-) But the price is hefty. At slightly lower price, one could create similar convenience with the Node and a NAS device.

Whilst Bluesound isn’t cheap, it could nonetheless be an attractive option from a price point of view, if Bluesound really delivered CD player quality. Reviews praise Bluesound for their rather impressive sound. But how does the new-kid-on-the-block compare to widely respected CD players like Arcam’s CDS27 (£700) or Audiolab’s 8200CD (£800)?

If Bluesound was eye-level with these CD players in terms of sound quality, one wouldn’t need a CD player anymore – and could invest the saved monies into a Bluesound solution (to enjoy not only top sound but also the convenience and the other extras music streamers offer).

I look forward to your views - cheers!!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally I just get a good Nas, rip all the music onto it and get a good Streaner (I picked a Cyrus streaner myself). This way you get the best of both physical and digital.

Though I personally never buy digital music for the below reasons:

No hard copy physical format. missing inlay/digi cover artwork, disc cd art plus any other bits that come sometimes with the disc. Nothing that has value, sale ability. Don't have the ability to pass down your collection. A feeling of a real collection is non existent with digital as they are just files - which you can rip anyway with a cd. No real sense of ownership. If like me have many great albums that are now rare or no longer avaliable makes you collection much more priceless! Prices can go up too. Also buying CDs from places like Bandcamp and othe places you usually now get a free digital download.

Also some digital files do sound to clinical esp when not mastered from the original source.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I have a Bluesound Node, and it sounds fine streaming from NAS and Qobuz/Tidal. I can either use the internal DAC or the one from my amp. There is a slight difference between these DACs but hardly noticeable. It is possible that I lack the ultrarefined hearing of true audiophiles: if so, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

When connecting the DVD player on coax in to my amp and playing CDs I don't notice a difference from streaming.

However, I recently bought a Marantz SACD player (second-hand). When connected to my second system I was surprised by the quality of the sound, even when playing normal CDs. Admittedly I listen there in nearfield, with better speakers than in my main system, so that might explain part of the difference. Furthermore, on reflection I think this was a case of newer sounding better just because it is different. After some weeks I don't notice a significant difference to just streaming over a computer to a DAC. So I think this was just psychology.

In the end I still believe a CD player is just a transport plus a DAC, and the DAC is all that would account for any difference. A good CD player may have a good DAC (that could be what explains my Marantz experience). However, I also believe that nowadays there is not a large difference in quality of DACs, or if there is, it would make more sense to buy a good DAC and add a cheap player (even a DVD-player) as transport. Hence you should be fine in using a Bluesound Node, using its internal DAC, and if you wish to upgrade, buy a better external DAC. But if you have a different viewpoint, by all means stick with a good CD player. That would be more satisfactory in the end than worrying as to whether the Bluesound is not sounding as good.

Personally I find the Bluesound system a pleasure to use, in particular the possibility of controlling either by smartphone app or by laptop (computer).

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth, yesterday I heard a Cambridge Audio CXN media streamer, playing a 16bit 44.1khz FLAC file, so same as CD, and it sounded great. As long as the file is lossless, and is CD quality or better, the way the music is stored does not matter, be it on a silver disk, or on a USB stick. It's the DAC and the circuitry after that , that make the biggest impact on sound quality. The Cambridge CXN is surprisingly good.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
10 years ago I got the Yamaha hd1500 recorder which allowed me to put all my music onto an onboard hard drive.had every intention to use with my CD player. Ended up I used the Yamaha which did have good sound quality as well all the time an CD player became obsolete. Great for double albums, editing compilations . Even though the CD player had the edge I just never used it.

I still use the Yamaha to this day. Its main disadvantage is no back up facility due to propriety software.

personally I would concentrate on the blue sound vault rather than thinking about a CD player if sound quality is aceptable. Sound quality seems to be highly regarded by people who have heard it. I know there are cheaper ways of doing the same thing and suppose it is up to yourself how much you think it's worth since it looks quite an expensive option but certainly looks a very nice item.

TRENDING THREADS