Is the resurgence of vinyl LP's a fad?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I apologise to everybody, but I got tired of being called a luddite.

Spotify and all forms of streaming are perfectly acceptable and most certainly embraced by and many here me included. I listen to all sorts of formats and they all have a place in my collection and in many’s collections.

My posts where not intentionally argumentative but rather a poke at the thought process of what someone might deem to be “inferior”sound.

Anyhow I feel I made my point and again apologise

Listen your hifi’s how you like and above all have fun doing so.

(Abuse deleted by moderation.)

This is what I typed:

I really don't care how people listen to their music, but I like to state facts and the fact is, vinyl sounds inferior to CD and newer, higher resolution formats. LPs will stick around for a while, but in 20 years people will want higher quality sound and delivered in a more convenient way. Digital files, across wireless connections is the future and I hope I live long enough to prove it.
Whether digital or analogue "sounds" inferior is a personal preference, and a personal statement - facts are something that can be proven by measurement.

I would counteract that a in 20 years time - whether the vinyl resurgence has wavered or not - quality vinyl will possibly be the preferred format from those who use their ears. I cannot see streaming services increasing their quality while end users will happily pay the current going rate for it, and the existing services will push that up as far as they can. Let's face it, most streaming users aren't listening on quality hi-Fi equipment, they're mostly listening on mediocre wireless speakers. They don't care whether the streaming services increase their bandwidth to match CD, or adopt MQA or any other type of HD process. Many are already under pressure to pay artists a decent cut, and there's plenty of stories out there stating they don't, and streaming services can't up their prices without offering anything extra for its clients. My guess is that music streaming currently sounds as good as it's ever going to get.

Yes, high quality vinyl pressing is expensive nowadays, and it's not going to get any cheaper as it's a very physical process - it always has been a more expensive process than producing CDs. Quality vinyl pressings will likely possess greater dynamic range than CDs or even download digital files going forward.

I think you DO care about how people listen to their music, seeing as you "state facts" that vinyl sounds inferior to CD. I agree, digital wireless streaming is the future, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the best sounding option.

As I've mentioned previously, I've done the CD vs vinyl comparison - if anyone wants that exact same comparison, I'll happily host it. In fact (and I risk moderation here), I'll consider making it part of regular open days moving forward...it wouldn't take any more than 10 minutes of people's time...

Reactions: DougK1 and Freddy58

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I once read a book I quite enjoyed called "Perfecting Sound Forever" which, among other things, talks about the difference between experience vs measurable fidelity. I haven't read it in years but I recommend it.

Friesiansam

I once read a book I quite enjoyed called "Perfecting Sound Forever" which, among other things, talks about the difference between experience vs measurable fidelity. I haven't read it in years but I recommend it.
You know what, my headphones and DAC/headphone amp sound great to me and, the headphones are very comfortable so, that’s good enough for me. I’m damned if I am going to worry about measurements.

Even so, one day upgraditis will rear it’s ugly head…

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I use a decent fountain pen for most of the limited amount of handwriting that I actually do, but I know it makes my writing worse. My writing is borderline illegible anyway, so adding a fountain into the mix is ill-advised. But it's so much nicer to use...
I'm left handed. Writing with a fountain pen is unpleasant. The nib catches in the paper because it's being pushed rather than pulled. Moreover, the edge of my palm, smudges the wet ink, ruins the look of my exquisite handwriting and leaves my hand with ink on it.
I did try a nib for left-handers when I was a child at one particular school, where they insisted we all write with fountain pens but it was no better.
Therefore, I admit to preferring a good quality rollerball or a good ball point.
The only way to solve it I can think of would be to start at the bottom and work up from right to left. But then I'd have to learn how to think backwards, in addition to writing backwards, or everyone else would have to learn how to read the words written backwards.
I wonder if any right-handers have considered the predicament of left- handed use of a fountain pen. 😀

Reactions: DCarmi

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
You know what, my headphones and DAC/headphone amp sound great to me and, the headphones are very comfortable so, that’s good enough for me. I’m damned if I am going to worry about measurements.
I think that's kind of the point. Your brain creates your experience which may not reflect what measurements may say. Hence why, for example, old worn familiar equipment can sound "better", or noisy filtered LPs with a ritual can sound "better" despite being less measurable fidelity.

I honestly recall the history element being my favorite part of the book

DCarmi

I'm left handed. Writing with a fountain pen is unpleasant. The nib catches in the paper because it's being pushed rather than pulled. Moreover, the edge of my palm, smudges the wet ink, ruins the look of my exquisite handwriting and leaves my hand with ink on it.
I remember my Father telling me that my Grandfather, who was left-handed, was forced at school (and I mean forced) to write right-handed. You've just explained to me why. I still think it was abusive.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I remember my Father telling me that my Grandfather, who was left-handed, was forced at school (and I mean forced) to write right-handed. You've just explained to me why. I still think it was abusive.
Yes my Granny (b. May 1st 1898) was forced to use her right hand too.

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Before dyslexia was known, My history teacher would slap a boy on the back of his head. Exclaiming loudly, "You stupid boy", some kids laughed out loud, but I was a mate of his. He explained to me, "the letters just dance around" I could not understand at the time, but I do now. I bet he thinks about slapping his teacher back, for being such a stupid arsehole.

Alice in Layne

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
My take here is that it has vinyl LPs have been benefited from the social media as they are perceived as aesthetic in a way that makes them more Instagramable (if that's a word), but i don't think they are actually a fad, it's just the vinyl culture and consumption has become more and more amplified. I think in that sense it has the opportunity to bring more and more people out of the playlist centred platforms where the idea of actually listening to a record has been lost. And it does, I really believe more and more people are jumping on turntables and vinyls slowly.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My take here is that it has vinyl LPs have been benefited from the social media as they are perceived as aesthetic in a way that makes them more Instagramable (if that's a word), but i don't think they are actually a fad, it's just the vinyl culture and consumption has become more and more amplified. I think in that sense it has the opportunity to bring more and more people out of the playlist centred platforms where the idea of actually listening to a record has been lost. And it does, I really believe more and more people are jumping on turntables and vinyls slowly.
I like your take on that, I draw my analogies to Ronnie Scott's in SoHo, in case you've never been, live musicians BTW and the banter between the crowd and the artists lights up the soul. Once you go there and you take in the vapour, you're kind of sold. It's like I want to be part of the tribe, the in-crowd. It's a cultural thing, vinyl is kind of the same, it has never really gone away, just gone to sleep for 20 years :)

It creates stimulating conversation too. When I worked at a place where we started selling vinyl, we eventually had people coming into us who weren't necessarily audiophiles, they were just genuinely interested in music. The vinyl crowd would get involved in conversation more so than audiophiles, which really feels more like a genuine community compared to audiophiles, I guess because it's a less controversial subject than hi-fi!

DCarmi

It creates stimulating conversation too.
Streaming tries to be social but it is usually remote, sharing play lists etc.

I like it when someone sifts through my record collection and talks about it (good or bad). I do the same when I visit a fellow vinyl-ist (have that one on me, AI!). I have one or two weird and wonderful albums which usually promote a comment.

Doesn't really happen with CDs and no-one has ever asked to see my Spotify Library!!

I also find that people like buying me vinyl as presents, more so than CDs.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Streaming tries to be social but it is usually remote, sharing play lists etc.

I like it when someone sifts through my record collection and talks about it (good or bad). I do the same when I visit a fellow vinyl-ist (have that one on me, AI!). I have one or two weird and wonderful albums which usually promote a comment.

Doesn't really happen with CDs and no-one has ever asked to see my Spotify Library!!

I also find that people like buying me vinyl as presents, more so than CDs.
Yeah the act of giving an LP as a gift seems to be more tangible, doesn't cost a lot in the grands scheme of things either and I guess feels like something worth giving.

I like your take on that, I draw my analogies to Ronnie Scott's in SoHo, in case you've never been, live musicians BTW and the banter between the crowd and the artists lights up the soul. Once you go there and you take in the vapour, you're kind of sold. It's like I want to be part of the tribe, the in-crowd. It's a cultural thing, vinyl is kind of the same, it has never really gone away, just gone to sleep for 20 years :)
It's certainly awake in my house, unfortunately only managed to make Ronnie Scotts on one occasion.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS