Is upgrading Hi-Fi equipment a dance of diminishing returns?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Basically back in the 70s and 80s people only had 2 or 3 TV channels to choose from, if you didn't like anything on the TV then out came your sounds!!!!

Now days, people growing up have so many things to occupy their spare time, cable TV, subscription TV (Netflix) etc, games consoles, I pads etc etc etc. Music is just one of many things to spend your time and money on.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray
Hi,
I think there are two main factors, that Hifi is not an aspiration as it was in the 1970's or 1980's, and the internet means the young people can listen to any song they like for free (illegal) or subscription based, on any device such as a mobile.

It has become quantity over quality. Seems to be that music is something for the background, as opposed to just sitting and listening to the album as a specific hobby or event.

There is a thread on PFM about USB cables, and another on networks where a second hand Cisco switch is seen as a hifi bargain.

This is where enthusiasts have lost the plot. If i was a commercial hifi manufacturer, i would avoid those people in a face to face discussion.

Regards,
Shadders.
Your last comment is irrelevant, please stick to answering OPs question, thanks
It simply looks like a promo for PFM and has nothing at all to do with this thread....

shadders

Your last comment is irrelevant, please stick to answering OPs question, thanks
It simply looks like a promo for PFM and has nothing at all to do with this thread....
Hi,
I was responding to what the person who quoted about cable threads.

Can you update the AUP to state that no other forums can be discussed. Thanks.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
I was responding to what the person who quoted about cable threads.

Can you update the AUP to state that no other forums can be discussed. Thanks.

Regards,
Shadders.
His post was about why newbies do not stay long on this forum. It wasn't be call to start further debate on cables or indeed whatever people on other forums think...
Of course other forums can be mentioned if they bring clarification to the original question.

shadders

Of course other forums can be mentioned if they bring clarification to the original question.
Hi,
Had it occurred to you that the claims of USB cables or network switches having an effect on sound could also put people off ? (responding to the quote i used)

Or that a USB cable or network switch has zero effect on hifi sound hence upgrading definitely falls into the diminishing return approach ?

The PFM threads i stated (did not link to) are an example of that. If i had linked to them, then i could see that being promotional, but mentioning that they exist is not promoting them.

Regards,
Shadders.

Hi,
Had it occurred to you that the claims of USB cables or network switches having an effect on sound could also put people off ? (responding to the quote i used)

Or that a USB cable or network switch has zero effect on hifi sound hence upgrading definitely falls into the diminishing return approach ?

The PFM threads i stated (did not link to) are an example of that. If i had linked to them, then i could see that being promotional, but mentioning that they exist is not promoting them.

Regards,
Shadders.
Of course. But it still has nothing do with the basics of this thread.
diminishing returns obviously means something different to you unless you mean buying a network switch in the first place is a waste of money then upgrading that switch is an even greater waste of money....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts