Am I the youngest vinyl lover? How old are you?!

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking today at the age of 24, I must be in the minority at this age group who really appreciate music, more specifically turntables and vinyl records.

i say this because all my peers are shocked at my 'obscene' obsession with hifi, my fiancée (bless her) thinks there's no difference between a cheap CD player/speakers compared to a 'proper' hifi...

all my mates are in the same boat! They just don't understand, or are totally deaf...

how can they not love this hifi turntable experience! Out of all if my mates I'm the only one that will sit and just enjoy music for music rather than background noise.

they say there's a resurgence in vinyl in the younger generation, are there any on this forum? Speak up if so and share your experience, even if your older, I'd love to know what people/family think of your hifi 'obsession'

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
My other half's nephew is 20 and is nuts about vinyl, 60s, 70s and 80s music. I wouldn't say he's into hi-fi so much he's got a second-hand sansui turntable and an old stereo system of unknown origin (he did tell me but I can't remember!). He's even gone to the point of buying original German 7" copies of Krafwerk and 99 Red Balloons as well! I think that's because they're cheaper on eBay though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My name is Cnoevil, and I am a Hifi Nut.......and I'm afraid to say I sold my LP12 when you were a toddler.

My family think I'm nuts, my work colleagues / friends think I'm nuts......and half this forum also think I'm nuts....... :?

I've been into Hifi since the mid 70s.....thought I'd got things under control, when the whole AV thing came along and gave whole new areas to obsess about.

It's good to hand the baton onto the next generation.

:cheers:

Cno

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My name is Cnoevil, and I am a Hifi Nut.......and I'm afraid to say I sold my LP12 when you were a toddler.

My family think I'm nuts, my work colleagues / friends think I'm nuts......and half this forum also think I'm nuts....... :?

I've been into Hifi since the mid 70s.....thought I'd got things under control, when the whole AV thing came along and gave whole new areas to obsess about.

Cno

your nuts...

good to hear, and I'll take on the Batton of hifi lovers, remember me in your will! :grin:

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Vinyl brings something different to the table.

My OH would be happy listening to a Argos radio/CD player. Loves music but couldn't give two hoots about SQ.

I don't personally look at music a hobby or interest, more of a way of life.

yeah I see it as a way of life also, if it wasn't, I'd not have spent the time and money on it as I have.

id rather sit and listen to some vinyl records or cd, than watch tv - and that's saying something for my generation, all my fiancée Wants to do is watch tv.. Which is fine , after all she's my fiancée, but sometimes I feel the art of audiophile appreciation is missing in my generation, what with iPods and MP3 players, people are missing out... Then again, they don't really care!

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Jake a good comprimise with your other half watching tv is to get into av...dialogue no matter who spouts it is a delight thru a decent center channel... :grin: just ask cno,but be carefull,he's nut's :cheer:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Jake12988 said:
plastic penguin said:
Vinyl brings something different to the table.

My OH would be happy listening to a Argos radio/CD player. Loves music but couldn't give two hoots about SQ.

I don't personally look at music a hobby or interest, more of a way of life.

yeah I see it as a way of life also, if it wasn't, I'd not have spent the time and money on it as I have.

id rather sit and listen to some vinyl records or cd, than watch tv - and that's saying something for my generation, all my fiancée Wants to do is watch tv.. Which is fine , after all she's my fiancée, but sometimes I feel the art of audiophile appreciation is missing in my generation, what with iPods and MP3 players, people are missing out... Then again, they don't really care!
Hi Jake 12988 I have an ipod classic with lots of lovely music which I use on the move or in the car it all about convenience my son who is your age has his music on his computer iphone ipod ipad he also has an audiolab 8000a amp marantz 6003 cdp mission 752 speakers + sonos connect he loves his music and has a small vinyl collection but no tt at the moment so rest assured you are not alone :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Cno

Who said you crazy Cno??? ;)

And if you are you not alone...! ;) :shifty:

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Jake,

Im 34 and have always wanted my own turntable and hifi setup. Always appreciated hifi from a very young age and made myself a promise that when I had my house and it was looking nice that I would invest in the sort of gear I have now. Like you Im fascinated with vinyl and amongst todays mp3 world of skipping a track after 10 secs malarky I like nothing better than to sit down now put on a record and listen to it in its entireity! Probably a lot of nostalgia and child hood memories feeds into it I guess but Im enjoying the music!

Stu

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Jake,

Im 34 and have always wanted my own turntable and hifi setup. Always appreciated hifi from a very young age and made myself a promise that when I had my house and it was looking nice that I would invest in the sort of gear I have now. Like you Im fascinated with vinyl and amongst todays mp3 world of skipping a track after 10 secs malarky I like nothing better than to sit down now put on a record and listen to it in its entireity! Probably a lot of nostalgia and child hood memories feeds into it I guess but Im enjoying the music!

Stu

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts