Am I a Audiophile?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

If yer brave enough, do this:

Takes a while but its a proper ABX test, not a forced AB like the tidal test. You've got a 50/50 chance of succeeding with latter even with guessing your answers. It's difficult with 320kbs vs 16/44 and as for 24/192 I know I can't reliably. I can only just about claim to have a chance of distinguishing Spotify premium from CDA but them my ears roll off at around 12-13kHz so not surprising.
I did the shorter test streamed off my pc via jds element 2 and audeze LCD-X so hardware wasn't a limit.

record_spot

Are you an Audiophile if you go to live events as opposed to listen to domestic music set ups? I went to the cinema to see the Whitney biopic and enjoyed the quality of the cinema's sound system. It was superb and wished my domestic hi-fi shared such scale. I suppose the appreciation of any source of music labels you as an audiophile or music lover, or perhaps stereophile.

I used to run a cinema many years ago and I can tell you that there isn't a domestic sound system out there - bar none - that'll come close to the speakers that're installed behind a cinema screen. You can get a feel or a facsimile, but you'll never get what they have behind those screens unless, of course, you're loaded and have the space to play with.

I was involved in opening up a multiscreen cinema about 35 years ago and had a chat with the KEF installation guy. Rest assured, we had three of their biggest in the largest auditorium. Amazing to see them hoisted up and ready to go.

And nobody ever complained about the sound quality. :)

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I used to run a cinema many years ago and I can tell you that there isn't a domestic sound system out there - bar none - that'll come close to the speakers that're installed behind a cinema screen. You can get a feel or a facsimile, but you'll never get what they have behind those screens unless, of course, you're loaded and have the space to play with.

I was involved in opening up a multiscreen cinema about 35 years ago and had a chat with the KEF installation guy. Rest assured, we had three of their biggest in the largest auditorium. Amazing to see them hoisted up and ready to go.

And nobody ever complained about the sound quality. :)
Very interesting. I believe our local cinema has a JBL sound system but JBL speakers never have a loyal following in the hi-fi mags for domestic use.

NADman

Jul 26, 2023
Visit site
Why should we think their opinions are any less valid than the OP's, It's not like we know anything about him?

One day during the Christmas holidays I found myself looking through the small number of vinyl records which I still own. I say small as about 15 years ago I sold, or shall I say my wife sold nearly all of my vinyl record collection at a car boot sale for 50p each
During my review of the records I still have a thought entered my head! “wouldn’t be nice to buy a turntable to listen to the small collection of vinyl records I still own”

Now, I already have a dedicated Cinema room to watch movies in with some high quality equipment that includes a pair of Monitor Audio Gold GS20 speakers and a Pioneer AV receiver. Anyone knows about audio equipment, especially speakers knows that Monitor Audio speakers are one of the best speaker manufactures in the world, the Pioneer that drives these speakers is also considered one of the best AV receivers you could buy at the time.

So all I need is an affordable high quality turntable, so then the search began to which after a fair amount of research I purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO Turntable for more that I was intending to spend. The turntable has an excellent review in all the HiFi websites and YouTube videos I viewed. The turntable was advertised as an Audiophile turntable which the reviews stated as being an excellent introduction into the world of Audiophile.

Well the turntable arrived and I wasted no time in setting it up and placing a piece of shiny vinyl onto the turntable and lowering down the arm to hear the first crackle and pop before the music jumped out the speakers and surrounded the room with this wonderful organic living sound. This is when my love affair with vinyl was reverted and my interest of anything that reproduces sound.

It was then I realised have I become an Audiophile?
What is this word “Audiophile” well its someone who listens to music as a main hobby and the sound system you own is worth more than a small car. Looking at the cost of replacing my audio equipment at today’s prices it would indeed cost the same if not more than a small family car.

Well the answer to these two questions is yes, I may be have become an audiophile as I am fascinated by pure audio, motivated by sound quality and I have become addicted to audio gadgets.
I find myself thinking of terms like "lossless compression & bit rates," "DSD file" and "original analogy source" I spend most days reading articles on audio web sites about Audio formats and can you really tell the difference between Lossless 24-bit/48 kHz & Hi-Res Lossless 24-bit/192 kHz?

Simply owning the latest music gadgets isn't enough; I now want to know how and why these things work. I now find myself watching teardown product review videos on YouTube of audio gadgets.
So the answer to the question, Am I a Audiophile is a most definitely yes especially in listening to vinyl as its far more high-quality. No audio data is lost when pressing a record, It just fills the room with great living sound just as great as the producer or band intended & if you closed your eyes you feel that the band is performing right in front of you.
if you enjoy the quality of your music more than most other people seem to you are definitely an audiophile, also... if you think your present system is the best you've ever heard...for now! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts