Time to make my mind up....

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
The JL trade in deal ends in a week or so......So...bearing in mind the following, which TV gets your vote....

Looks like I'll get £200 for my current Panasonic...and use my old Panny as a trade in at JL for £300 off...equals £500 off my purchase. I will be doing the majority of my viewing through a Sky HD box......the vast majority will be HD channels....I like watching Football and movies too..........I'll be sitting approx 8-9 ft from TV. I'm not an expert, I've seen all 3 TVs and read various reviews.... I've no idea about calibration or the equipment needed....I've read about judder and various other issues( are these things that will make me regret a purchase...or are they things that are not necessarily THAT obvious? Should the 4k trump any other choice given it could be a while before there is any reasonable amount of content to choose from..

Looked at TVs in Currys..

I checked out the Panasonic..looked good but noticed distortion around words on screen.....both the Samsung and LG looked amazing Instore ...

The choice.....LG Oled ec930v........Samsung ue 55js8500.... Panasonic 50 cx802b

Cheers guys.

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
The JL trade in deal ends in a week or so......So...bearing in mind the following, which TV gets your vote....

Looks like I'll get £200 for my current Panasonic...and use my old Panny as a trade in at JL for £300 off...equals £500 off my purchase. I will be doing the majority of my viewing through a Sky HD box......the vast majority will be HD channels....I like watching Football and movies too..........I'll be sitting approx 8-9 ft from TV. I'm not an expert, I've seen all 3 TVs and read various reviews.... I've no idea about calibration or the equipment needed....I've read about judder and various other issues( are these things that will make me regret a purchase...or are they things that are not necessarily THAT obvious? Should the 4k trump any other choice given it could be a while before there is any reasonable amount of content to choose from..

I checked out the Panasonic..looked good but noticed distortion around words on screen.....both the Samsung and LG looked amazing Instore ...

The choice.....LG Oled ec930v........Samsung ue 55js8500.... Panasonic 50 cx802b

Cheers guys.
OLED.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:

Cheers guys.

Both myself and gel will say LG OLED.

I have that exact model you are looking at and I couldn't be happier. One thing to note is that the first one I had displayed a nasty green tinge in the centre of the screen so I took it back to JL and the replacement is far superior in this regard so if you get one like that return it as it's faulty.

My choice would be LG OLED, Samsung, Panasonic in that order. The merits of 4K are dubious at this moment in time as the vast majority of content will be in 1080p so there will be a lot of upscaling going on to get an image on the screen so for now I would be inclined to wait unless future proofing is high on your list? For outright picture quality you won't find better than the OLED.

There are reports of judder on the LG with motion but I've only experienced that through my virgin tivo box, it's easy to resolve with the true motion settings set at judder 2 and de-blur 5 and isn't something I notice with sport or movies. I would also say that the Samsung and Panasonic impress more on a showroom floor due to their extremely high shop settings so don't get fooled by that.

The Samsung JS8500 was the alternative I had in mind when I was shopping around last month, I was wary of image retention on OLED but needn't have worried about that as I've not had one instance of it. The question is...what one are you leaning towards?

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I've always been a Panasonic fan......yet, on inspection, I wasn't as impressed with the 802b....but obviously I'm comparing to plasmas....the picture was ok but it didn't really make me want to buy it.

The Samsung was a late choice as all the reviews seem to be positive, very little bad said about this set, that I could find. On the shop floor it looked great but, as you say, I was wary of the settings...however I could easily be tempted.

The LG is ,quite literally, a head turner...I could picture some very jealous friends ...the TV really looks stunning...the picture also really stands out...I've never had issues with my Panasonic but, despite some worries about the slight negative reports my heart is really shouting out for this one. My feeling is that any issues , if they are that obvious, will be covered by JL.....as stated I'm mainly using Sky HD so I feel the picture quality should be great on the LG. Is 55 inches the right size for my seating distance of 8/9 ft?

If that's my choice then I'll really be getting it for £1299..... I think I can wait a few years for the 4k price to come down and content to go up.

So LG Oled it shall be ......

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
I've always been a Panasonic fan......yet, on inspection, I wasn't as impressed with the 802b....but obviously I'm comparing to plasmas....the picture was ok but it didn't really make me want to buy it.

The Samsung was a late choice as all the reviews seem to be positive, very little bad said about this set, that I could find. On the shop floor it looked great but, as you say, I was wary of the settings...however I could easily be tempted.

The LG is ,quite literally, a head turner...I could picture some very jealous friends ...the TV really looks stunning...the picture also really stands out...I've never had issues with my Panasonic but, despite some worries about the slight negative reports my heart is really shouting out for this one. My feeling is that any issues , if they are that obvious, will be covered by JL.....as stated I'm mainly using Sky HD so I feel the picture quality should be great on the LG. Is 55 inches the right size for my seating distance of 8/9 ft?

If that's my choice then I'll really be getting it for £1299..... I think I can wait a few years for the 4k price to come down and content to go up.

So LG Oled it shall be ......
Great choice.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Agreed. You won't regret it trust me and have made the right choice.

Just bear in mind the green tinge I illuded to in my earlier post as my first set was horrendous with the issue, John Lewis were great though after I took it back to the store although I was initially fobbed off with going through technical support and dealing with LG. As advised by gel and others I just took it back and got a replacement ordered which is night and day better than the first.

If you are unlucky enough to get one like I did just take it straight back or get them to replace it at the door if you order online. You will be fine at that distance as I sit about 8 feet away from mine.

One other thing to consider though...the TV has only two standard vesa mount holes if you intend to wall mount the TV and as such, with it being curved, be careful when selecting an appropriate bracket as it could end up not being fully supported.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I've already got a cracking black gloss stand with my current TV on it...so no wall hanging for this TV.

if you have time at all...I'd appreciate if you could outline the areas I should look for when the TV is installed..ie.the issues I should look out for. I shall take up JL free installation offer...but I'm guessing there will be other areas to look at re.picture settings. Apologies if you've outlined these elsewhere.

Was thinking of getting a soundbar any thoughts on that?

cheers

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam,

Sound should be a priority as the sound through the TV would not be adequate simply due to the design of the TV, it's incredibly thin, and so is the sound from the speakers built into the LG. It's worth bearing in mind that the stand for the TV is a big heavy lump of metal so if you went down the sound base route you would need one that could take the weight of the stand and TV combined.

A soundbar would be fine and certainly be an upgrade on the weedy TV sound but what is it you want sound wise? A soundbar with subwoofer would provide a good sound, a soundbase would provide the same but in one box that sits under the TV (provided both were good quality of course). If you want the full surround sound experience then a full 5.1 system is the way to go which means 5 speakers, subwoofer and amplifier.

As for the TV I would certainly say calibration is essential. Currently I have calibrated the standard setting myself for daytime viewing using my calibration tools but if that's bit too much then just use a THX dvd which has the screen calibration tool on it, the most popular and well known of which is Star Wars. It's easy to use and very clear and will get the picture much better than the out of the box setting.

I currently use two movie settings that I found on various sites such as AV Forums (I found the other from the calibration results on another site which escapes me right now) and tailored the brightness, contrast and colour settings on to suit my viewing conditions which is at night. Settings that have been posted elsewhere are a good starting point but tolerances in manufacture mean that they won't be perfect but are a good starting point and better than out of the box settings but a professional in home calibration would be the only way to get it as accurate as possible.

LG recently released an update to the firmware on the TV which has really helped the functionality and software so go to the settings and make sure the latest version of firmware has been installed as it makes the TV less clunky in operation.

I have an ongoing issue with the TVs version of HDMI control (simplink) which is very annoying so if you connect anything to the TV via this method you may encounter issues like the TV starting up and switching off devices at random which is what I've had. To solve it I had to turn off HDMI control on all of the affected devices, all of them were Sony devices (PS4, Bluray player) so there is a conflict there of some kind.

Apart from all that I can't think of anything else but please feel free to ask anything else.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:
Cheers Oldboy

i had done a reply to this but it keeps getting blocked by a spam filter...any ideas why?

Do as bigboss suggested or post a subject on the issue in the about the site forum section and one of the mods should rectify the issue pretty quickly, that's what I done when I returned to the forum after some time away.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers Oldboy, you've been most helpful.

ive currently got a Panasonic 5.1 system...I'm happy with it....wife thinks it's a clutter...hence the soundbar idea....if I can really scrape some more money I would invest on one of the mid price Yamaha soundbar switch seem to be top rated..

I think a DVD would be a good idea..I think it's important to get the most out of the settings, of course it's all in the eye of the beholder and they are a personal thing.

im not sure how far JL will go re settings..firmware on installation so that's good to know.

i had a look on the net and found an article on a website entitled How to get the best picture from your TV...how to calibrate......I believe it's from What hi fi...but I can provide a link..

For a simpleton like me it provided a common sense formula to get the best out of the TV....do you think the Blue THX specs are essential to get?

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Further on from the above, I take it I need to get the THX version of Star Wars...this has a calibration tool on it? Are the specs available in UK?

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
So, with my current TV being a Panny txp42 gt30b and the decision being made (almost)

to get the LG 55 inch Oled...what " difference" am I looking forward too for my money?

Am I likely to notice a significant difference in picture quality?

Strangely I'm getting this nagging feeling that I should" invest" in the 55 inch 4k Oled....this despite the fact that I'm watching from 8-9 ft...mostly through a Sky HD box and with little content available ...someone talk me out of it please !*mail1*

If I were to get the 4k would I see a significantly better picture now...does the TV get better reviews and have less recorded issues?

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
So, with my current TV being a Panny txp42 gt30b and the decision being made (almost)

to get the LG 55 inch Oled...what " difference" am I looking forward too for my money?

Am I likely to notice a significant difference in picture quality?

Strangely I'm getting this nagging feeling that I should" invest" in the 55 inch 4k Oled....this despite the fact that I'm watching from 8-9 ft...mostly through a Sky HD box and with little content available ...someone talk me out of it please !*mail1*

If I were to get the 4k would I see a significantly better picture now...does the TV get better reviews and have less recorded issues?
I think I might be tempted by the Costco deal on the LG 55eg920 4K at £2750 with free sound bar and sub, but it might not make much difference to picture quality. The 930 is a cracking upgrade to your Panasonic. You are getting a 55- inch Kuro beater in terms of picture quality. The picture is brighter, blacker, motion is great. You are getting a great TV at an incredible price. Have you seen my new hot deal for the LG at £1484 at Hughes Direct?

D

Deleted member 2457

Here are some pictures of the 930:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-ec930-oled.1984446/#post-22690398

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Here are some pictures of the 930:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-ec930-oled.1984446/#post-22690398
now active.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers Gel,

those are great deals...with JL selling at £1799 ...I can get £300 off for trade in...plus I'm selling my TV for £200 ...effectively means I'm getting it for £1299... I honestly feel this is well worth it..

im probably showing my stupidity here, so forgive me, but if Sky released a 4k box ...would there be any benefit in me getting it if I have the 930?

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Wow, those pictures look great.....seriously can't wait to get this now.
thumbs_up.gif

richcam said:
Cheers Gel,

those are great deals...with JL selling at £1799 ...I can get £300 off for trade in...plus I'm selling my TV for £200 ...effectively means I'm getting it for £1299... I honestly feel this is well worth it..

im probably showing my stupidity here, so forgive me, but if Sky released a 4k box ...would there be any benefit in me getting it if I have the 930?

No, if you have a 1080p TV, a 4K Sky box is of no use to you.

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
Agreed Oldboy, as you say it's a no brainer, hence the reason why I'm ordering it tomorrow.

i can't wait.........
Nice one.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Richcam,

At £1299 I can't think or find a better deal for a TV that will provide an upgrade over your Panny, I seriously think it's a no brainer.

A few weeks in with my 930v and I know I made the right choice, yes 4K is on the way but it's far from a reality now. In reality the tv will be upscaling almost all of the content you throw at it and that creates issues of it's own picture wise so I personally wouldn't be swayed to pay a hefty premium for minimum gain.

The problem is that until 4K content is readily available via disc and broadcast the benefits are debatable at best. I decided that to buy a excellent OLED at this point in time was the best way to go and I'm extremely happy with my choice. If 4K does take off properly in a few years time I know my OLED will still provide me with plenty of capital towards a 4K variant when prices come down.

It's completely your choice but at that price I don't think you can beat it.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:
Agreed Oldboy, as you say it's a no brainer, hence the reason why I'm ordering it tomorrow.

i can't wait.........

Brilliant. You made the right choice, keep us posted with expected delivery date.

If you need any settings help just post on this thread and I will be happy to help.

I can assure you right now that it's a brilliant tv and you won't be disappointed...I hope :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts