Time to make my mind up....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:
TV arrived last night....due to circumstances , probably weekend before it gets set up.

as a matter of interest, I've read  about folk suggesting certain " builds " are less reliable....where would I find what month the build is from?

i note in the instructions there seems little regarding the initial set up....I guess this is all done as you switch the TV on?

cheers

As gel said setup is straight forward and all explained in common sense English and by using the magic remote it makes it even simpler so nothing to worry about just follow the on screen menu. It's all very colourful and welcoming too unlike every tv I have ever owned before which is why there is no mention of it in the paperwork.

Let us know how you get on over the weekend and if you get stumped with anything just ask.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I've read a bit of the " out of the box" settings being great for this set......yet elsewhere I've seen folk state that all the settings are at the top of the range especially Instore display. What should I be looking at for the initial settings when I start up? ........it may be a few days before I can delve into the settings more fully but I want to make sure the missus thinks this is worth the money from the off.....will be setting up with Sky HD from the off.

cheers

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks HD for that link, apologies for the lateness in the reply.

well the Oled is now up and running...so here's some views and queries.

Ive started by applying the settings in the link above ....also used settings found in another article.......I'm confused slightly by them, for instance one has black level as low..the other high.....I'm pretty sure I read Steve Kemp stating that the black level HAD to be high for it to get other settings correct....or have I read that wrong?

i know settings are individual to your set...but I'm interested to know your settings Oldboy. Do folk on here recommend professional calibration? Is it worth the money?

i tried the THX optimiser on Star Wars....is it possible that my Panasonic DVD player is past it a bit...for instance I found the part with the THX logo screen with backdrop quite jittery....same on the kind of testcard near end......I've not experienced any issues when watching the TV though.

onto the set....very impressed with it to my untrained eye....there ( may) be a slght red tint to the far right....certainly can't see any banding at all....SD pictures are ok,in general . Hd pictures look great.....football was good the other night, so happy with that. I'm still feeling, however that the picture could be slightly more stand out....hence the settings query. By the way 3 D is great on this, if you're into that thing.Web os is good, on new upgrade this week.

2 queries for you guys....firstly...on two occasions the TV has chosen to just switch off on its own accord....bit bizarre!

also, I'm really on the look out for something for the sound....yet the bottom of the screen is literally about 5 cm from the unit it sits on...this leaves very little room for a soundbar....any opinions? Currently got an oldish Panasonic surround system but wife is not happy with the speaker space it takes up around the lounge.

apologies for going on.....unsure if I'm able to post pictures or,indeed, whether it's worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
Many thanks HD for that link, apologies for the lateness in the reply.

well the Oled is now up and running...so here's some views and queries.

Ive started by applying the settings in the link above ....also used settings found in another article.......I'm confused slightly by them, for instance one has black level as low..the other high.....I'm pretty sure I read Steve Kemp stating that the black level HAD to be high for it to get other settings correct....or have I read that wrong?

i know settings are individual to your set...but I'm interested to know your settings Oldboy. Do folk on here recommend professional calibration? Is it worth the money?

i tried the THX optimiser on Star Wars....is it possible that my Panasonic DVD player is past it a bit...for instance I found the part with the THX logo screen with backdrop quite jittery....same on the kind of testcard near end......I've not experienced any issues when watching the TV though.

onto the set....very impressed with it to my untrained eye....there ( may) be a slght red tint to the far right....certainly can't see any banding at all....SD pictures are ok,in general . Hd pictures look great.....football was good the other night, so happy with that. I'm still feeling, however that the picture could be slightly more stand out....hence the settings query. By the way 3 D is great on this, if you're into that thing.Web os is good, on new upgrade this week.

2 queries for you guys....firstly...on two occasions the TV has chosen to just switch off on its own accord....bit bizarre!

also, I'm really on the look out for something for the sound....yet the bottom of the screen is literally about 5 cm from the unit it sits on...this leaves very little room for a soundbar....any opinions? Currently got an oldish Panasonic surround system but wife is not happy with the speaker space it takes up around the lounge.

apologies for going on.....unsure if I'm able to post pictures or,indeed, whether it's worthwhile.
With the TV turning itself off it might have a timer on so you would need to turn this off. Sorry it's the automatic standby, mine goes off every 4 hours if not used. So press settings and then go down to time and check that.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Richcam, if the TV is switching itself off after four hours I would keep that as it is. It switches itself off only if you've not pressed a button on the remote control for four hours, eg, fallen asleep! When the tv switches itself off that will save on both electricity and the chance of image retention and screenburn, if displaying a static image.

About black level being high or low, it depends on the individual television. When Steve Withers calibrated my four plasmas two years ago, on three of them he had the black setting to low but on my LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen, he set the black level to high. Post 6 of this https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-55ec930v-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.1922378/ explains why.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm feeling like I'm having a " love in" with John Lewis......

Realised a couple of hours ago that they are now selling this Oled for £1519...... Quick email to them and within an hour a reply stating a further £90 credited to my account.....

im amazed and quite chuffed...

ive now got this for £1519......less £300 trade in.....less £200 for selling my old Panasonic....in other words £1019 for a tv that cost ?? Around a year and a bit ago!!

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
I'm feeling like I'm having a " love in" with John Lewis......

Realised a couple of hours ago that they are now selling this Oled for £1519...... Quick email to them and within an hour a reply stating a further £90 credited to my account.....

im amazed and quite chuffed...

ive now got this for £1519......less £300 trade in.....less £200 for selling my old Panasonic....in other words £1019 for a tv that cost ?? Around a year and a bit ago!!
Well done! *clapping* It cost £3000 at launch a year ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts