Time to make my mind up....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
Will do Oldboy, cheers.

just got a price match from JL too....Kerching!!

You could sell it for more than you are paying for it!
regular_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
You could sell it for more than you are paying for it!

He could, but then he wouldn't have a TV at all. *smile*
*smile* Good for when he wants to upgrade to 4K though.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi Oldboy...although I have not got my TV yet ,I ordered a copy of Star Wars attack of the clones ...can you possibly advise how I can use this to help get the best settings ...are there secrets in things I should be looking for?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi richcam,

I presume you know where the THX optimiser is hidden on the dvd? If I remember correctly it's in the languages menu and you just select the THX logo on that menu.

As for the calibration one thing I would do now if you can is order a pair of the blue tint glasses from the THX website or try ebay or AV forums to see if someone has a pair for sale as they have to be shipped from the US when buying from the THX website. Although not essential they are needed for the colour and tint sections of the calibration and I've found just adjusting those can have a really positive effect on picture quality as over or under saturated colours simply don't look natural.

The trickiest section to get right is the contrast section and it's not described that well in the description. You will see a picture with 8 boxes of white (I think as it's been a while since I used it) and what you are looking to do is turn the contrast to max then lower it until you get a distinct line visible between all of the boxes with no blurring or saturation. Don't be tempted to edge nearer the screen as this needs to be seen from your seating position. The brightest white box should be a strong white but not blindingly so and all the other boxes should show distinct graduations in levels of white with the lines as described above. If you are struggling to see the difference that contrast has on the lines then lower it right down and up again slowly until you can start to see the effect that contrast has on the lines and start again at max and lower again.

It's worth having a few goes with the contrast section and testing it with the film clips at the end of the test, if you aren't happy then go back and adjust again until you are happy. The rest of the tests are self explanatory and easy to follow so don't feel intimidated in any way as it's a simple process.

I find the THX contrast test rather cumbersome when compared to the AVS HD 709 disc method which I use but it's certainly going to give you a better result that out of the box settings but may require a little more trial and error.

Hope that helps but if you get stuck just post here :)

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I see JL have now dropped the price to £1619 for the 930.

im still waiting on mine to be delivered ...how many days ( after sale or delivery?) do I have for price matching? .....are there any other prices out there you've seen that are better than this and JL are likely to match?

D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.tesco.com/direct/lg-55ec930v-55-inch-oled-curved-full-hd-3d-tv-with-smart-webos-and-built-in-wifi-in-black/489-4624.prd?skuId=489-4624&pageLevel=sku&sc_cmp=ppc_sh-_-sh-_-bg-_-489-4624&gclid=CPWB_6DlycgCFSEGwwoduccB2A&gclsrc="aw.ds"

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers Gel, the JK one is an interesting one as , basically, they have reduced the TV by £180 and cut the trade in to £150 ...but the offer ends 19/10 according to their website...any chance there may be a further reduction ?

while I'm on...a bit of a newbie query here......

on various reviews and forums I note comments on tint,motion handling, banding etc when it comes to the 930 v...in fact I see threads devoted to the problems and this kind of makes me wary......yet I'm also aware that a lot of these sets have been sold and I also see many positive customer reviews.

so, for me...how much am I going to notice these" issues" ? Are they really that obvious or are these things that are actually quite hard to pick up?

i guess most folk probably do very little about " setting up" there picture etc so do most consumers not even realise that the picture isn't at its best?

im rambling on a bit but having spent a bit I want to make sure I get this tv at its best picture possible.

cheers in advance guys

richcam

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
Cheers Gel, the JK one is an interesting one as , basically, they have reduced the TV by £180 and cut the trade in to £150 ...but the offer ends 19/10 according to their website...any chance there may be a further reduction ?

on various reviews and forums I note comments on tint,motion handling, banding etc when it comes to the 930 v...in fact I see threads devoted to the problems and this kind of makes me wary......yet I'm also aware that a lot of these sets have been sold and I also see many positive customer reviews.

so, for me...how much am I going to notice these" issues" ? Are they really that obvious or are these things that are actually quite hard to pick up?

i guess most folk probably do very little about " setting up" there picture etc so do most consumers not even realise that the picture isn't at its best?

im rambling on a bit but having spent a bit I want to make sure I get this tv at its best picture possible.

cheers in advance guys

richcam
Hi, I have demoed the 930 a lot and the only issue I have seen a couple of times on one particular set (I have demoed several at different places) was the tint issue the rest were all perfect. As regard the other issues I have never seem them and I haven't heard Oldboy mention them either. If you are unfortunate enough to get a bad one John Lewis will change it for you.

D

Deleted member 2457

John Lewis now have it at £1620 and £150 trade in offer making it £1470.

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ec930v-curved-oled-full-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-2x-3d-glasses-and-2x-3d-clip-on-glasses/p1719631

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Yep...I'd emailed them about this and got a reply yesterday stating they had refunded £180 to my card to price match it...not too bad eh?

offer ends today according to their website ...interesting to see what their next offer may be?

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
Yep...I'd emailed them about this and got a reply yesterday stating they had refunded £180 to my card to price match it...not too bad eh?

offer ends today according to their website ...interesting to see what their next offer may be?
Ah nice one! What price did you pay now for it?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:

cheers in advance guys

richcam

As gel rightly states only the tint was an issue on my first set and I have not seen any other issues with my current set other than occasional judder on low quality sources but it's nothing I haven't experienced before with my Samsung 55F8000 that this TV replaces. On everyday viewing and with blu ray I never see the issue but feed it a low signal quality TV channel such as Dave in SD and yes there is some judder but if it bothers you that badly just engage the de-judder in the tru motion option but no higher than 2 or 3 and that will eradicate almost all of it without much in the way of horrible artifacts or soap opera effect. Never use motion settings for movies though.

It's worth remembering that no TV is perfect so don't get too caught up with internet forum chatter on these subjects. Read reviews and take the views of other owners into account by all means but it's too easy to get caught up with worrying about various "issues" as the same could be said of EVERY set reagrdless of tech, manufacturer or age to some degree or another. If an issue impacts on your enjoyment and picture quality then it's a problem such as the tint I encountered and as you have bought from John Lewis just send it back and get it replaced.

I have to say that I've not seen banding on my set and hadn't been aware it was an issue on this range but then again as with all these issues you are worried about if you don't see them are they a problem for YOU? No they are not I would say no?

Just try to enjoy the TV and the picture quality it gives you that's the main thing and lap up those awesome black levels, give it a basic calibration with a THX disc and enjoy. I remain convinced you purchased the correct TV at a frankly ridiculous price and now got even more money back too, bear in mind I paid £1, 699 for mine and remain extremely pleased to this day.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
richcam said:

so far I've got it for £1619....although it's available now for £1599 I think.....( I see JL is £1619 but with the trade in now removed)

so..£1619.... Less. £300 trade in ....and £200 for the set sold to my mother in law....means I'm paying £1119......

I also got the 5 yr warranty and paid £79 for the 5 years accidental damage ......not sure if that's worth it or not? Technically I can now get this covered as part of my Sky Protect Plus( unsure if it's the same cover though)

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
All in all I'm sure I'll be very happy with the TV ....as you state. The price I've paid is frankly crazy!!

i think your right...a problem is only a problem if it affects your viewing....I feel that LG have sold many of these sets and most folk will be happy with their purchase.

Th tv is right at the forefront of technology at the moment and ,while not 4k , I'm doubting that would be an issue for me for a few years.

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
gel said:
richcam said:

so far I've got it for £1619....although it's available now for £1599 I think.....( I see JL is £1619 but with the trade in now removed)

so..£1619.... Less. £300 trade in ....and £200 for the set sold to my mother in law....means I'm paying £1119......

I also got the 5 yr warranty and paid £79 for the 5 years accidental damage ......not sure if that's worth it or not? Technically I can now get this covered as part of my Sky Protect Plus( unsure if it's the same cover though)
Good going! *smile*

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
TV arrived last night....due to circumstances , probably weekend before it gets set up.

as a matter of interest, I've read about folk suggesting certain " builds " are less reliable....where would I find what month the build is from?

i note in the instructions there seems little regarding the initial set up....I guess this is all done as you switch the TV on?

cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

richcam said:
TV arrived last night....due to circumstances , probably weekend before it gets set up.

as a matter of interest, I've read about folk suggesting certain " builds " are less reliable....where would I find what month the build is from?

i note in the instructions there seems little regarding the initial set up....I guess this is all done as you switch the TV on?

cheers
Intial setup is all very simple. The build is on the back of the TV and in the settings menu on the remote.

D

Deleted member 2457

I was demoing the 930 again in John Lewis today and compared it directly to the 960 and there was no difference.

Btw - hot deal in John Lewis Milton Keynes they are selling a used LG OLED 960 for £2650!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts