Is one dead pixel on new TV normal

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi all
I've been through a few different new TVs lately after one going faulty to find all of them had atleast one dead pixel.

They were the cheaper models and in my flustraition I decided to pay for a higher end sony bravia to find yet again one dreaded dead pixel (not stuck) at the bottom.

It's only one this time but it's driving me mad knowing it's there irrespective of not being able to see it unless close up.

One wouldn't buy a jigsaw puzzle with one piece missing irrespective of how many and how small the pieces were would they.

To add a little background 🥱 I've got a Samsung in the bedroom 3 months old with 4 pixels out that can't be seen but it was a cheaper set and even that is going back soon.
I've had a Panasonic which they wouldn't take a return on with 2 proven dead pixels from new so in kind after knowing they were going to ok ripping me off took it back to the shop instead.

After that I bought a sharp and again after running the now dreaded white screen I found one dead pixel in the corner which combined with the terrible sound it provided it too went back.

By now I felt sick at the thought of finding another in another new set so tried yet another maker this time LG and again found another two dead pixels this time that were hardly noticeable but to me it's unacceptable and they via live chat told me it's inevitable to have one or two on every TV set of 55 inches or more.
They went further to say that most people have atleast one and just don't know it's there thus will never check.

After that I checked my old Polaroid TV and it has 4.
Side note- these are dead pixels I'm not misidentifying them.

I've tried the usual home remedies ie the flashing screen software etc despite knowing dead pixels can't be revived I found it hard to believe this is normal.

After that I decided to get a more premium set from Sony bravia and got it home feeling sweaty and anxious and again ran the white background.
🫨 another dead pixel right at the bottom.

It's only one this time and I've trawled the internet to get conflicting information.
It seems most brands sat this is inevitable and all have atleast one.
Panasonic being the worst at caring at all.

People on the other hand seem to find it broadly acceptable and theres many posts of reports indicating that most sets have them from new.

I have diagnosed OCD amongst other things so now I know they are there I study the screen almost clinically to check for them.

My question is this and I apologize for boring you all prior.

Is it indeed normal even in a Sony bravia to have one dead pixel from new?
Is it something I should have issue with or accept as normal (I know I won't) but it might make it easier to live with as the thought of finding yet another new set with a dead pixel fills me with anxiety.

I send on mid range hifi separates and I know even a tiny scratch on the better makes is unacceptable and immediately replaced.

Please advise.

To clarify its one tiny dead pixel (not to understate it) at the bottom of the Sony that can't be seen unless standing up close but it's there.

abacus

Unless you want to spend 3 or 4 times more to get specially selected panels from a batch, then yes there will always be a chance of odd pixels not working. (Assuming 4K that's out of 8.3 million pixels)
How many films and broadcasts have a full white screen, hardly any, so the chances of seeing a duff pixel are next to zero. (Unless you are working in quality control to find the best panels for pro use it's just ridiculous')

Bill

Reactions: Stuart83 and DougK1

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Q1: Not normal but quite common.
Q2: If a dead pixel or 2 fills you with anxiety then try telling yourself this; it's a first word problem and there are probably far more pressing things in life to be anxious about (IMHO).
Try some yoga and breathing exercises, life's too short!
I remember my mother used to tell us kids "you're sitting too close to that TV, it will make your eyes go square"... sit further back!

Reactions: DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Q1: Not normal but quite common.
Q2: If a dead pixel or 2 fills you with anxiety then try telling yourself this; it's a first word problem and there are probably far more pressing things in life to be anxious about (IMHO).
Try some yoga and breathing exercises, life's too short!
I remember my mother used to tell us kids "you're sitting too close to that TV, it will make your eyes go square"... sit further back!
Mmmmmmm
I don't know as when I spend more I expect more.

I wouldn't get the equivalent rolls Royce and think ah it's only a scratch that I can't see when I'm not close up.

I find everytime there's an explosion or whitish background my eyes are trained to the thing.

I like what was wrote by someone on another thread the aforementioned

"One wouldn't buy a jigsaw puzzle with a missing piece irrespective of how small nor how many pieces it contained"

My worry now is if it's common will I run the risk of the replacement having more than the panel I've sent back.

I'm trying to live with it considering that but I think it's going back.

The Marantz cd 60 I bought would go back immediately if it's display had a missing pixel or scratch on the body regardless of where it was.

Thankyou for the reply I get what your saying but I am not of that mindset when paying for a premium product.

I just wanted to know is it something that's "normal" especially now I've found ones on the 3 month old one in the bedroom.

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Have you thought of using a Ultra Short Thow (UST) projector and screen, as they don't have the problems you mention. (But definitely try before you buy)

Bill
Good idea, but sadly even a £7,000 UST projector/screen combo would bring with it another set of potential problems?!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
This statement is from the Sony Support site (apparently dead pixels can come back alive)! LOL
(even a £500,000 Rolls Royce will have defects if you look close enough... some may be 'unseen' mechanical issues/design faults that you won't even know about until you have some miles on the clock).
Mr. Sony says:
"You may be seeing one or more of the greater than 2,000,000 dots that make up the composition of your LCD or OLED screen. These dots (pixels) may appear red, green, blue, white, or black.
High-precision technology is used to manufacture LCD and OLED displays to maintain a high standard of operation. However, with all LCD/OLED screens, regardless of manufacturer, a small number of dots may not change color. This is normal operation for LCD and OLED screens for all manufacturers. Most defects are only noticeable when an all-white or all-black picture is displayed and shouldn't be noticeable under normal operation.
Because a defective pixel or pixels is normal on all LCD or OLED screens, there's a high chance that a replacement screen may also have them. It's possible that the replacement could have more defective pixels, or the pixels may appear in a more noticeable position.
Notes:
Debris on the screen can appear as dead or defective pixels. Clean the screen thoroughly with a microfiber cloth to confirm whether or not the issue is a defective pixel or due to dirt or debris.
Sometimes dead or defective pixels correct themselves over time."

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
This statement is from the Sony Support site (apparently dead pixels can come back alive)! LOL
(even a £500,000 Rolls Royce will have defects if you look close enough... some may be 'unseen' mechanical issues/design faults that you won't even know about until you have some miles on the clock).
Mr. Sony says:
"You may be seeing one or more of the greater than 2,000,000 dots that make up the composition of your LCD or OLED screen. These dots (pixels) may appear red, green, blue, white, or black.
High-precision technology is used to manufacture LCD and OLED displays to maintain a high standard of operation. However, with all LCD/OLED screens, regardless of manufacturer, a small number of dots may not change color. This is normal operation for LCD and OLED screens for all manufacturers. Most defects are only noticeable when an all-white or all-black picture is displayed and shouldn't be noticeable under normal operation.
Because a defective pixel or pixels is normal on all LCD or OLED screens, there's a high chance that a replacement screen may also have them. It's possible that the replacement could have more defective pixels, or the pixels may appear in a more noticeable position.
Notes:
Debris on the screen can appear as dead or defective pixels. Clean the screen thoroughly with a microfiber cloth to confirm whether or not the issue is a defective pixel or due to dirt or debris.
Sometimes dead or defective pixels correct themselves over time."
Yeah I checked it's definitely a dead pixel not debris.
My heart sank when it didn't rub off.

I've decided to try and live with it as it's only one knowing if I can't it's within the no quibble guarantee period and I can take it back.

I'm not happy about it as the LG curve screen it they all replaced had none and it was a supposedly problematic technology that seized production because of restrictive viewing angles of which I never suffered.

It went for 7yrs without issue but I think it being off for long periods ie 2 yrs and then stored in a damp garage finally shortened its life.

I've read conflicting information of people returning sets with one dead pixel to people having to return 5 sets and all the replacements having one or more aswell as indicated in Sony's (for better words) quoted disclaimer you've pasted.

As for the rolls Royce analogy I used there is a "micro scratch policy" yet the higher end manufacturers will come out immediately and repair.
All run in defects are covered with nearly all brands.

That aside I'm disappointed I do not expect to pay more for the same problems nor believe in acceptable loss.

I saved a long time for this TV and expected it in a new state not as I see it "faulty".

I will as "bill" mentioned be looking into other sources of viewing as it's to me a floored technology.
I don't care about 4k etc if everytime I see a cloud it has a pimple on it irrespective of how close I'm sat etc it's there to me.

It seems it's pot luck on wether a set has them regardless of manufacturer.

I know one thing though the more willing people are to accept them the more common and less replaced they will become.

And thankyou for taking the time to reply 😊

Friesiansam

Personally, if I can't see a defect at my normal viewing distance, then all is well, however, I don't think much of Sony's claim that almost all TV screens have at least one defect. Is that down to cost cutting? I do, on the other hand, understand that being OCD will have a major effect on how you think about things.

Almost all screens have pixel defects is not my experience with PC monitors. I'm on my 5th LCD monitor and, have been using my current one for almost 8 years but, have never had a defective pixel...

abacus

You have to remember that most TV manufactures do not make the panels, they instead buy them in from the few panels manufactures that are out there. (When it comes to OLED one of the LG groups make most of them, so whether you buy Sony, Panasonic, Philips LG etc, they are all made in the same plant)

Bill

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
One thing is for sure, as a result of this thread, when my 9 year old 55" LG packs in, I will not be spending a ton of cash on a new TV!
I guess I was somewhat lucky. I picked up an 'open box' from Costco (it wasn't even in a box) but it came with the full manufacturers warranty and the Costco 2 year extended coverage (along with Costco's 'no questions asked' satisfaction return policy).
It's old technology 4K and has basic HDR (the other HDR modes didn't exist then).
It was $750 out the door.
I placed it in my car and took it home. I have boxed it up and moved it 4 times now. Two of those moves were transatlantic moves (USA/UK/USA).
It has traveled across the Atlantic Ocean (twice), the English Channel and the Irish Sea (twice)!
In fact, it's even been through the Panama Canal! LOL
Touch-wood, it still provides a decent picture and still works well. I haven't searched for dead pixels and nor am I going to, ROFL (I have never noticed any).

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gray

One thing is for sure, as a result of this thread, when my 9 year old 55" LG packs in, I will not be spending a ton of cash on a new TV!
I guess I was somewhat lucky. I picked up an 'open box' from Costco (it wasn't even in a box) but it came with the full manufacturers warranty and the Costco 2 year extended coverage (along with Costco's 'no questions asked' satisfaction return policy).
It's old technology 4K and has basic HDR (the other HDR modes didn't exist then).
It was $750 out the door.
I placed it in my car and took it home. I have boxed it up and moved it 4 times now. Two of those moves were transatlantic moves (USA/UK/USA).
It has traveled across the Atlantic Ocean (twice), the English Channel and the Irish Sea (twice)!
In fact, it's even been through the Panama Canal! LOL
Touch-wood, it still provides a decent picture and still works well. I haven't searched for dead pixels and nor am I going to, ROFL (I have never noticed any).
Blimey, you must've paid a fortune in travel fares for your telly 😯

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Blimey, you must've paid a fortune in travel fares for your telly 😯
LOL well, it was shipped with all my other 'worldly' goods and so I can't really calculate what it cost for just the TV alone, probably negligible.
12 guitars and around 24 large moving boxes full of other stuff took up most of the room in the shipping crate! (the guitars were my main concern regarding potential damage in transit).
I originally thought that I would have to leave the TV behind (in the USA), but luckily it accepts 100-240 volts.

Reactions: Gray

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Not wanting to hijack the thread (sorry Stewart) but LG TV's for the North American market are 'assembled' in Mexico.
The ones for the European market are assembled in either Poland or Russia.
My brother purchased an LG TV in the UK and it packed in after 2 years (but most of his stuff doesn't seem to last very long)! LOL

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
What's further flustraighted me is I visited my parents yesterday and couldn't help but check both there TVs 😆.

The Panasonic they have was bought just before smart TVs came along and is 15 yes old.
Sure it's only HD and granted it's therefore less pixels but all are fine and the TV works flawlessly.
That TV is why I considered Panasonic in the first place yet things aren't well with there customer service.

Via live chat they flat out refuse to replace or repair for any amount of pixel defects.
Just for clarification they said any 😱.
It's a shame as I'd take a older set without 4k if I know it's got a perfect screen as there's has.

On seeing that I checked the JVC smart TV I got my aging father some yrs ago so he could access the net etc when he his health was worse than usual and it has 2 pixel faults.
One stuck and one dead.
It's on a much smaller screen so the odds were in his favour to get a perfect screen yet it's still there.

I also checked my partners again Panasonic and hers is a whopping 15 yrs old again pre smart TV and it's all good.

After having numerous sets now I can confirm that the law of averages dictates we've gone backwards and quality is worse.
I realise that's down to heightened odds with 4k having many more pixels but the aforementioned Sony is supposed to be a quality set.

Thankyou "Friesiansam" for your understanding on the diagnosed OCD further confounding things as peoples overuse and claim of having OCD in general undermines the seriousness of it.
It ruins my life at times on a serious note.
If it's not the 2hrs it takes to get in and out of a room or the counting of and retracing of my steps if I have negative thoughts I'm now inspecting TV screens whenever I come across them to find acceptance with my own.

Perfection is a thing I save for and it pains me not to get it.

I tried a little experiment knowing I'd get the following results.

I went to live chat with Sony in view of buying a bravia (although it's hard to find a rep) and brought up dead pixels and the likelihood of getting them in their bravia range and there reply was as I predicted.

They simply said it's highly unlikely and they have the best panels in the business or words to that effect.
They did say it's possible but highly unlikely etc.

I then logged in another chat posing as someone with a dead pixel problem and their mindset totally changed to basically pasting disclaimers and further small print okaying dead pixels if they aren't in a certain viewing grid.

Not unlike a second hand car salesman before and after sales behaviour.

I am worried about swapping it over as the dead pixel is at the bottom of the screen and combined with what I've read it seems I run the risk of the replacement having them too perhaps in a more prominent position.

As some names here know via our regular chats with via other posts my main love is hifi and I've had a few faulty things along the way and expect more.
The better makers always replace immediately if even a little problem arises.
There's no quibble nor the using of the words an "inherint acceptable fault" as is used a lot it seems with led and oled 4k TVs.

Roskan are good and plainly aren't happy if your not so are Marantz and arcam who I was told were a minefield replaced an amp out of warranty on goodwill alone.

The TV is still within its no quibble return period of 30 days with what's left of Argos so I'm absolutely hard pushed to know what is best to do.

Do I risk getting another with more or one in a more prominent position as mentioned or do I put it down to an acceptable defect within an obviously flawed technology.
To me it is flawed as it's more common than I could if guessed when I've searched around combined with finding 2 on my father's set.

The Samsung curve screen of yesteryear that I had prior was apparently a flawed technology and discontinued yrs ago yet it ran perfect 4k without any dead pixels for 7yrs of sporadic long periods of being off.
It too had traveled a few addresses.

It's apparent limited viewing angles was never a problem with me.
I even considered replacing it with another new old stock one from online but the age put me off.

I just don't know and don't want to risk boring you good people any further but what would you knowingly do in this position
???????????

To clarify the pixel is 1" up from the affixed physical sony logo at the bottom of the TV screen which is in middle.
I'd photo it but I'm posting whilst I'm out.
I have got a close up of the little b?gger but it doesn't really confirm it's screen position.

I will add up the answers in my analytical mind and go with the majority then move on.

Attachments

• 1000004654.jpg
    1000004654.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
"After having numerous sets now I can confirm that the law of averages dictates we've gone backwards and quality is worse".

We may well be going backwards... 2 astronauts landed and walked on the moon in 1969 and now we can't even get a 'lander' to land without it falling over.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if it takes you 2 hours to get in and out of a room I highly recommend getting some treatment for your OCD. Counseling and meds. are available.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
"After having numerous sets now I can confirm that the law of averages dictates we've gone backwards and quality is worse".

We may well be going backwards... 2 astronauts landed and walked on the moon in 1969 and now we can't even get a 'lander' to land without it falling over.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if it takes you 2 hours to get in and out of a room I highly recommend getting some treatment for your OCD. Counseling and meds. are available.
I see a therapist once a week and a neurologist once a month.
It would be an assumption to think I didn't.

And in not not having a go as I'm not offended at you "My2cents" as what you say is in a caring manor.

As for meds because of the severity of symptoms the ones I've been through just turn me into either a bat (sleeping through the day) or a zombie unable to even converse properly.
The others make no difference difference in the severity of symptoms.

Diagnosed OCD is undermined by the constant claim by everybody they have it with personal preference being the chief reason they think it to be so.
Things like preferring to check the lights are off to be in the safe side or liking there CDs a certain way etc etc.

It angers me knowing it has zero effect on their actual quality of life and the claiming it's OCD almost offends me because of how undermined the condition has become thus making it harder for the genuinely affected to get treatment.
OCD ruins lives i regularly see people housebound with it and a few suicide cases to boot.

I like most of the comments you leave throughout the forum tbh.
Any way I maybe shouldn't of mentioned it as maybe it's a personal trait of mine not to accept defects especially when paying more for something.

Despite my OCD and other things I won't mention I've always worked hard and OCD maybe the reason when people receive my workmanship it's perfect and if not it's remedied via a quick phone call and visit.

I saved a long time for this TV and didn't expect to find 4 sets all faulty.
(Afterall that's what they are)

Forgive me if I'm a little blunt but last night I got to staring once again at Sony bravia and thought to myself if it's only one I will accept it and move on.

Well by the end of yet another white screen the count is up to 3.

It's now on its way back.

Where I go from here who knows as I'm now thinking of trying another Sony identical to this one before its return and keeping the best set knowing that the quest for the perfect panel is causing me genuine flustraition.

I genuinely do think things are going backwards with TVs jokes aside.

My 2 main friends swared they had none only for one to text me last night his has 2 as he'd never noticed until I asked nor had he ever dusted it in some 5 yrs.
He like me thought it dirt until 🫨 it didn't rub off.

The other told me to buy the model he has as it's perfect then last night his partner pointed one out and commented it has done her head in since they she moved in.
(Seems to her it's not acceptable neither)

It's vastly normalised now by manufacturers as they know it's a high enough chance you will end up with one.

I do think to people it doesn't bother they should avoid looking as one can never unsee the little buggers.

The 12th monkeys said it originally and I fully advise people take that on board and don't look for them if not noticing any otherwise.

Suffice to say thanks for the reply the comment on the moon landing did make me smile

Gray

....maybe it's a personal trait of mine not to accept defects especially when paying more for something.
It may be a trait of yours Stuart, but believe me, your are certainly not alone.

TVs and hi-fi are things that I only ever buy new - and I expect them to be new and perfect.

Working out of the service department of a local retail chain, my job was to install and setup new TVs in customers' homes.

Before starting that job, I was aware of TV manufacturers 'acceptable' failure policy on pixels (that there was no perfection guarantee).
But it's only since reading this thread of yours that I've got to thinking about my year there. Strangely, not once did any customer - or any service engineer, mention the pixel issue.

Being fanatical about new being new and perfect - myself and family have been through much stress / agro / Trading Standards depts. etc.....so I fully sympathise with you.
I've worked for years in returns / service departments and have always been on the customers side (much to the annoyance of my bosses).

However wrong it seems (and I understand why it does seem wrong) they've decided between themselves that they cannot guarantee flawless production.
And that's the bottom line, unfortunately.

I hate the situation as much as you do.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Thankyou for all the replies it gives me solace that I'm not the only one to find it wrong.

I absolutely find it's for the manufacturers profits as said.
I'm now doing what I mentioned and getting another identical set under the no quibble return policy and selecting the "best one" thus returning the other.

I will then move on as I have no choice although it pains me to do so.

I do think things are going backwards especially with electronics in general as I've had a run of defected products lately.
(Complete failures)

It's a throw away society we now live in.

I couldn't even get a TV repair man to look at the original faulty Samsung curve after mentioning the make and model.
Apparently the screens are impossible to remove without being done by Samsung themselves.

As my old father says "you pay your money and takes your chance"

I still as per my other threads not set up the "Marantz cd60" I've just bought as the TV failed etc I was side tracked but I'm exponentialy more confident all will be well there.

I bought it from richer sounds so never worry regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Well thought I'd give you all an update as you took time to reply to the thread 😊

I indeed got another Sony bravia in conjunction with the existing one in view of keeping the best one as said for prior on the other posts.
So both are within the no quibble return period as said in the prior posts.

As this is the 6th TV in total all from different manufacturers at different price points and all with atleast one dead pixel I now know it's unavoidable to have atleast one.

I've looked at a few other people's now including people who've maintained they have a perfect set only to find them in theirs too.
My father's friend being the latest who swore his was perfect right up until I ran a white screen.

I actually recommend I not point it out to him as its impossible not to unsee the little buggers.

Suffice to say with a feeling of dread unpacked yet another Sony bravia yesterday to find 2 dead pixels this time and a stuck one 🫨
Worse than that there was a dark spot which not unlike a bruise near the middle.

After all the flustraightion I've decided to keep the original sony as the dead 2 dead pixels are right at the bottom and not visible at normal viewing distance.

I'm not happy with the situation at all.
It seems even people who swear they haven't got them are extremely likely to indeed have them if looked for properly.
I suggest they don not look, infact I emplore then not to.

It's all fine and well to boast 4k etc but to me the technology is flawed or just not there yet.

I've never experienced such a thing as acceptable faults before in anything especially my main concern hifi.

The Sony is a lovely TV apart from the dead pixels with Google TV being a very good optimised OS.
Much better than the dreaded Linux systems inclusive to some of the other sets.
That gives me solice.
It's definitely a better TV than the others just not a perfect one.

Suffice to say it's lesson learned, I won't be studying the screen anymore unless I notice a fault makes itself known from now on.

Attachments

• 1000004652.jpg
    1000004652.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1000004796.jpg
    1000004796.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1000004654.jpg
    1000004654.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 6

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Well thought I'd give you all an update as you took time to reply to the thread 😊

I indeed got another Sony bravia in conjunction with the existing one in view of keeping the best one as said for prior on the other posts.

As this is the 6th TV in total all from different manufacturers at different price points and all with atleast one dead pixel I now know it's unavoidable to have atleast one.

I've looked at a few other people's now including people who've maintained they have a perfect set only to find them in theirs too.
My father's friend being the latest who swore his was perfect right up until I ran a white screen.

I actually recommend I not point it out to him as its impossible not to unsee the little buggers.

Suffice to say with a feeling of dread unpacked yet another Sony bravia yesterday to find 2 dead pixels this time and a stuck one 🫨
Worse than that there was a dark spot which not unlike a bruise near the middle.

After all the flustraightion I've decided to keep the original sony as the dead 2 dead pixels are right at the bottom and not visible at normal viewing distance.

It seems even people who swear they haven't got them are extremely likely to indeed have them if looked for properly.

It's all fine and well to boast 4k etc but to me the technology is flawed or just not there yet.

I've never experienced such a thing as acceptable faults before in anything especially my main concern hifi.

The Sony is a lovely TV apart from the dead pixels with Google TV being a very good optimised OS.
That gives me solice.

Suffice to say it's lesson learned, I won't be studying the screen anymore unless I notice a fault makes itself known from now on.

That gives me solice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts