Is it normal

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all wondering if anyone can help, reassure me.

My son has just bought a benq projector off eBay for his attic bedroom. I put the screen up last night and we plugged the projector in just to try it.

I know projectors get warm but after only 5 mins use it was hot, even smelled hot. And the underneath was hot to touch. Is this normal or does it need looking at?

My son also wants me to cut a hole in the wall and make a shelf/box to mount the projector how much space do I need around the projector for airflow?

Thanks

Nick

Messiah

My son has just bought a benq projector off eBay for his attic bedroom. I put the screen up last night and we plugged the projector in just to try it.

I know projectors get warm but after only 5 mins use it was hot, even smelled hot. And the underneath was hot to touch. Is this normal or does it need looking at?

My son also wants me to cut a hole in the wall and make a shelf/box to mount the projector how much space do I need around the projector for airflow?

Thanks

Nick
Any idea if it uses LED or a more traditional lamp? (UHP I think)

I've not run a projector for years (certainly before they started using LED) and it did get hot.

So, if it uses a lamp I think it is 'normal' to get hot but perhaps BenQ provide some stats somewhere. No idea on clearance. Maybe they can help?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Any idea if it uses LED or a more traditional lamp? (UHP I think)

I've not run a projector for years (certainly before they started using LED) and it did get hot.

So, if it uses a lamp I think it is 'normal' to get hot but perhaps BenQ provide some stats somewhere. No idea on clearance. Maybe they can help?
I think it's a traditional lamp. I'll find the model number and try and do some digging.
I suggested getting a gen1 Samsung freestyle projector I think it would have been better suited for what he's doing but it's more than double the price he's paid for the benq and a brand new screen from RS.

abacus

Projectors do get hot (As far as I am aware Benq only recently started using LEDs so yours is probably a lamp) however you should not get a burning smell unless there has been an ingress of dust. (Projectors usually do come with inbuilt sensors which shut the projector down if there is a cooling problem)

Bill

Reactions: Messiah

Thanks

Nick

I'm assuming all packaging from the projector has been removed? Make sure the vents aren't blocked.

Was this a brand new projector? Maybe it was faulty to begin with?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site

Thanks

Nick
A quick update for everyone that helped. My son watched the Japanese Grand Prix today using the projector, so at least 2hours use. No issues, in fact the longer it was on the cooler it seemed to get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts