NVA Cube 2 review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Daniel Quinn said:
It is interesting to note that Darius's review of the cubes has changed considerably since his initial review of H/S was subjected to scrutiny. He as attemped to nullify the initial valid critique of what he initially posted , but what we appear to have here is actually , the third or fourth draft in a work of fiction.

Additionally , it is the kind of review of a product that any reasonable person would ask. WTF are you going on about? To augment the legtimacy of your review and negate the reasonable accusations of having an agenda , it would be best is you were more specific and articulated your views to specific incidents of what you heared with specific reference to specific cd's .

For instance when you noticed a nasal quality to vocals were you listening to Frank Sidebottoms "cor blimey it christmas"

miss piggy, can you swallow please first and then talk cause I don't know what are you going on about?

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware Richard has never had an issue with any negativity towards NVA as long as it is genuine and justified. Maybe we have all got it wrong and maybe the review by Darius was genuine but it just seems too negative to be taken seriously.

Regarding the loan scheme I think it really could thrive on a forum like this especially if other manufacturers got involved. I hope someone steps up with the moderation and gives the scheme a chance.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I believe you should know by now what nasal vocal means?

3478651299_79bcda9b08_o.jpg

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
As far as I am aware Richard has never had an issue with any negativity towards NVA as long as it is genuine and justified. Maybe we have all got it wrong and maybe the review by Darius was genuine but it just seems too negative to be taken seriously.

Regarding the loan scheme I think it really could thrive on a forum like this especially if other manufacturers got involved. I hope someone steps up with the moderation and gives the scheme a chance.

personally, I'd have no issues with a loan scheme but it does appear to be against current house rules. Maybe that's something that's not set in stone. Behaviour towards participants would need to change though.

I did say in my first post that Richard was initially non-accusatory. I wish he'd stuck to that. More generally, Richard has had difficulty interacting normally with others, which has led to him being sidelined. Now he largely only interacts others of a similar mindset on a forum which he controls in a totalitarian way. This only makes his excesses worse IMO. You can see his floundering responses here when he couldn't control things.

The problem now is that NVA loan scheme has only had one negative review and it's blown up badly. It will be hard to row back from that bt it should begin with acceptance of the bad review at the very least. An apology to Darius would be good too.

If pro NVA responses had all been like yours, this ugly spectacle would never have happened.

Ziggy

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
This thread should never have started. The fact that it has strongly indicates that the instigator has an agenda. This is supported by his inane remarks about danger to children and the damage he did to the NVA equipment, for which he should be liable.

Whether or not Ipv received an incentive is open to question as the "review", or product demolition, can been seen as an attempt by one online distributor/manufacturer to discredit a market rival. If AVI has no involvement it has reached the stage where they should make it clear that Ipv is a loose cannon and, as a reputable company, completely disassociate themselves from his ravings.

To say his "review" is incoherent is putting it mildly and without doubt. This goes far beyond his command of the English language. Following the comments he has provoked (respectful to begin with) Ipv has revealed what a nasty piece of work he really is, as well as a lack of maturity.

For the record, I do not own and NVA or AVI equipment. As I always audition before purchase the later is a non starter.

shadders

shadders said:
Hi,

It has been stated that the bass is “uncontrolled, slow and all over the place”, and that the crossover is a “capacitor”.

The stated benefit of an active loudspeaker is that the amplifier is directly connected to the speaker driver and has a greater degree of control.

The NVA amplifier and Cube 2 speakers closely match this topology, more so than other passive speakers available. Therefore the bass/mid driver of the Cube 2 will be under greater control than other speakers, which are assumed to have a 2nd order filter connecting the bass/mid driver.

Using speaker simulation software, the NVA Cube 2 sealed enclosure response has a slight rise about the 200Hz to 1kHz frequency range, is -6dB at 140Hz, and rolls off at -12dB/octave from 140Hz.

I have estimated the AVI DM10 port dimensions and the simulation of this enclosure meet the stated specifications of the AVI DM10. As such, the simulation is assumed to be accurate. This results in the bass extension being significantly less than the AVI DM10 – which is 50Hz at -6dB, against the NVA Cube 2 which is -6dB at 140Hz.

Given that the NVA Cube 2 is a sealed enclosure, and the amplifier connection to the bass/mid driver is direct, as per active speakers (although there may be a paralleled resistor/inductor on the output of the amplifier), the bass/mid driver will be under significantly more control than an alternative passive loudspeaker (assumption above) connected to the NVA amplifier.

Therefore, I would NOT expect that NVA system to have an “uncontrolled, slow, all over the place” bass, given this extra degree of control over the bass/mid driver and the reduced bass extension. The NVA crossover design and Cube 2 enclosure type would have the opposite impact.

I defer to speaker designers to confirm or refute the above.

Regards,

Shadders.
Hi,

Made an error on the dimensions for the Cube 2 - selected metric and not imperial - so the slight rise as stated is not present and the response is therefore flat, and the extension of the bass is approx 70Hz, as opposed to my stated 140Hz.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
shadders said:
Hi,

It has been stated that the bass is “uncontrolled, slow and all over the place”, and that the crossover is a “capacitor”.

The stated benefit of an active loudspeaker is that the amplifier is directly connected to the speaker driver and has a greater degree of control.

The NVA amplifier and Cube 2 speakers closely match this topology, more so than other passive speakers available. Therefore the bass/mid driver of the Cube 2 will be under greater control than other speakers, which are assumed to have a 2nd order filter connecting the bass/mid driver.

Using speaker simulation software, the NVA Cube 2 sealed enclosure response has a slight rise about the 200Hz to 1kHz frequency range, is -6dB at 140Hz, and rolls off at -12dB/octave from 140Hz.

I have estimated the AVI DM10 port dimensions and the simulation of this enclosure meet the stated specifications of the AVI DM10. As such, the simulation is assumed to be accurate. This results in the bass extension being significantly less than the AVI DM10 – which is 50Hz at -6dB, against the NVA Cube 2 which is -6dB at 140Hz.

Given that the NVA Cube 2 is a sealed enclosure, and the amplifier connection to the bass/mid driver is direct, as per active speakers (although there may be a paralleled resistor/inductor on the output of the amplifier), the bass/mid driver will be under significantly more control than an alternative passive loudspeaker (assumption above) connected to the NVA amplifier.

Therefore, I would NOT expect that NVA system to have an “uncontrolled, slow, all over the place” bass, given this extra degree of control over the bass/mid driver and the reduced bass extension. The NVA crossover design and Cube 2 enclosure type would have the opposite impact.

I defer to speaker designers to confirm or refute the above.

Regards,

Shadders.
Hi,

Made an error on the dimensions for the Cube 2 - selected metric and not imperial - so the slight rise as stated is not present and the response is therefore flat, and the extension of the bass is approx 70Hz, as opposed to my stated 140Hz.

Regards,

Shadders.

You weren't by any chance in the team that attempted to land a probe on Mars a couple or so weeks ago?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I thought we are in the stone age for one moment. I have really losted respect for this forum members.

Am glade a few people has altered the truth at this stage of this thread. It's a total disgrace.

savvypaul

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Is the OP's motivation for posting his 'review' purely a reaction to some criticism he received on the HFS forum? On the HFS forum, I defended Darius' right to express an opinion without personal attack, but I cannot agree with the methodology or content of his review, and I strongly take issue with his behaviour now.

It appears that he has heard the NVA Cube speakers on one occasion, for a brief period of time, and has decided that a serious and radical design...from a man with over 40 years experience, a devoted following of audiophile customers, and a string of highly regarded products to his name...is the sonic equivalent of a 'Panasonic Boombox'. If that's not a spiteful and disrespectful agenda, then I don't know what is.

When Mr Dunn first saw the review on the HFS forum, he said words to the effect of "fine, all reviews welcome, good, bad or indifferent". Indeed, Darius' review is displayed on the HFS Reviews thread without censorship or comment. As a prospective customer, that is exactly the confidence in his product, and professionalism, that I would want to see. Mr Dunn did not seek to bring this issue to this or any other forum, and he has only questioned Darius' agenda since Darius decided to post negative reviews of NVA and HFS on any forum that would have him. Mr Dunn has defended himself, the HFS forum, and his products. What else would you reasonably expect?

Darius has since posted personal abuse towards Mr Dunn on repeated occasions on this and other forums. I think this is the most telling fact about his judgement. You need not be put off NVA by such petulance.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
savvypaul said:
Is the OP's motivation for posting his 'review' purely a reaction to some criticism he received on the HFS forum?

pretty much

savvypaul said:
On the HFS forum, I defended Darius' right to express an opinion without personal attack, but I cannot agree with the methodology or content of his review, and I strongly take issue with his behaviour now.

character of my posts now is barely a response/ reaction on mr. dunn's and friends similar ( or worse) posts here and on hfs

savvypaul said:
It appears that he has heard the NVA Cube speakers on one occasion, for a brief period of time, and has decided that a serious and radical design...from a man with over 40 years experience, a devoted following of audiophile customers, and a string of highly regarded products to his name...is the sonic equivalent of a 'Panasonic Boombox'. If that's not a spiteful and disrespectful agenda, then I don't know what is.

in fact, I did not like cubes from start to finish. mr dunn's 'less is better' approach to audio did not work for me.

savvypaul said:
When Mr Dunn first saw the review on the HFS forum, he said words to the effect of "fine, all reviews welcome, good, bad or indifferent". Indeed, Darius' review is displayed on the HFS Reviews thread without censorship or comment. As a prospective customer, that is exactly the confidence in his product, and professionalism, that I would want to see. Mr Dunn did not seek to bring this issue to this or any other forum, and he has only questioned Darius' agenda since Darius decided to post negative reviews of NVA and HFS on any forum that would have him. Mr Dunn has defended himself, the HFS forum, and his products. What else would you reasonably expect?

indeed, his first reaction was cool.. first

you're not saying everything

savvypaul said:
Darius has since posted personal abuse towards Mr Dunn on repeated occasions on this and other forums. I think this is the most telling fact about his judgement. You need not be put off NVA by such petulance.

just go and check HFS now ( oh, you've done it already.. I think you should send similar message to this muppet: jammy395) I ridiculed this thread because this is what the muppets show deserved.

savvypaul said:
Is the OP's motivation for posting his 'review' purely a reaction to some criticism he received on the HFS forum? On the HFS forum, I defended Darius' right to express an opinion without personal attack, but I cannot agree with the methodology or content of his review, and I strongly take issue with his behaviour now.

Are you, in fact, Mr. Dunn?

Whatever, is, was, wasn't said on another forum is totally irrelevant to what is posted on this one. It's a free world.

savvypaul

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Are you, in fact, Mr Dunn?

I have no connection to Mr Dunn other than purchasing a Balanced Mains Unit from him a few weeks ago. I'm an enthusiast audiophile who doesn't like to see a serious and talented designer being insulted and abused. The OP, and some others here, should be ashamed...

savvypaul said:

I have no connection to Mr Dunn other than purchasing a Balanced Mains Unit from him a few weeks ago. I'm an enthusiast audiophile who doesn't like to see a serious and talented designer being insulted and abused. The OP, and some others here, should be ashamed...

Forums, they're a b#gger eh? Best not read them.

I see you are a regular poster.... or did you just sign up here because someone asked you to?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
savvypaul said:

do you think dunn and some of his friends should be ashamed too?

if you think the opposite you're not presenting fair/ balanced view.

savvypaul

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Darius,

Take a breath and think for a minute.

You know that Mr Dunn reacted calmly and professionally to your review. He even remarked that he was glad to get a bad review as all the glowing testimonies were starting to get just a little embarrassing! You got some colourful flak from some HFS members regarding the content of your review, and you know that I and other HFS members defended your right to express your opinions without personal attack. You also know that your review is displayed on the NVA Reviews thread on HFS without comment or censorship.

You bought this here. It has not served you well. My sincere advice would be to stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself.

savvypaul

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
savvypaul said:
I have no connection to Mr Dunn other than purchasing a Balanced Mains Unit from him a few weeks ago.

clearly you have agenda..

I have nothing to lose or gain. I have nothing to hide. I bought a balanced mains unit from Mr Dunn a few weeks ago. That is my one and only connection to NVA. I joined the HFS forum just after I bought the BMU. My only agenda here is to inform anyone who reads this thread. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
All this over one bad review. Not even a magazine reviewer in a publication, but an enthusiast who agreed to do this at NVAs request. Part of the deal is posting a review. It was mooted that Darius wasn't that keen on even trying the stuff after having to ship a faulty speaker back twice. Hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories.

Whilst Richard initially took it well, others on HFS were rude and nasty. It wasn't long before it escalated.

Now there are half the active membership over here defending bad behaviour and trying to rubbish the one bad review. You get the feeling that it's like crossing the Moonies.

Seriously if deep holes have been dug it's NVA doing the digging. Can't they see how off putting it is to a loan scheme when you attack the one person so far who doesn't like your product? What sort of message does that send? Remember You HAVE to write a review. It's part of the deal.

Now what happens to the next person who's not keen? Do they report honestly and risk the wrath of "Captain Mainwaring and Dad's Army" or do they write something positive to avoid flak. Or do they simply not bother to try NVA? Go figure.

Vector said:
All this over one bad review. Not even a magazine reviewer in a publication, but an enthusiast who agreed to do this at NVAs request. Part of the deal is posting a review. It was mooted that Darius wasn't that keen on even trying the stuff after having to ship a faulty speaker back twice. Hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories.

Whilst Richard initially took it well, others on HFS were rude and nasty. It wasn't long before it escalated.

Now there are half the active membership over here defending bad behaviour and trying to rubbish the one bad review. You get the feeling that it's like crossing the Moonies.

Seriously if deep holes have been dug it's NVA doing the digging. Can't they see how off putting it is to a loan scheme when you attack the one person so far who doesn't like your product? What sort of message does that send? Remember You HAVE to write a review. It's part of the deal.

Now what happens to the next person who's not keen? Do they report honestly and risk the wrath of "Captain Mainwaring and Dad's Army" or do they write something positive to avoid flak. Or do they simply not bother to try NVA? Go figure.

Quite so, perhaps they should retreat to Cambridgeshire whence they came.

Vector

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to say this, Savvypaul. You seem like a nice bloke, but what I saw was you initially sticking up for Darius then being set on by Ricahrds attack dog then bullied into the party line. It's a classic bullying tactic and I've seen it a lot over there. People either don't dare to disagree with Il Duce Dunn or are booted and their posts deleted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts